• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help with base scope mount

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
I broke one of the hex screws for the base mount on my Windrunner. Any body knows what the dimensions of those suckers? Also, what's the best way to get that remmant part of the screw out?
Thank you in advance.

Re: Help with base scope mount

No idea what the screw dimension is. But you have a couple of choices. First, use Kroil or another penetrant to soak in around the fastener. If the remnants of the screw are jagged, you can use a steel pick and try to unscrew it. OR, using a small punch,try to centerpunch it and using a small drill-drill a relief hole.If you go to an industrial supply house purchase a very small "easy out" which resembles a coarse drill bit that is left hand threaded and as it bits into the fastener it will come out.

I hope you didn't use LOC-TITE.
eek.gif

If you are careful,patient and use the CORRECT tools-its not a big deal.Good Luck.

Lt. Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I did use Loc Tite. Am I screwed?

You can use a small micro torch and to slowly heat around the screw and melt candle wax into it. That will help break the loctite. (Don't get over aggressive with the heat) It you know someone with a mill or drill press you can mill it out or drill a pilot hole and use an extractor. Small extractors can break easily so be sure not to over pressure the extractor and break it off in the broken screw. A mill is best if you know someone.

If the head broke off at the surface or just below your best bet would be a mill or a drill press. Using a bit smaller than the hole will let you drill out the rest of the screw. Using an "easy-out" bit is good, but I have yet to see em small enough. Usually bits that small break easily if you give too much pressure. You could just drill it out to the next size and re-tap the threads. Just means you need to step up the screw to match. Broken screws suck, getting em out sucks even more.

So far, I have managed to break off two drill bits. Damn Loc-Tite works too well I guess. Going to Sears later today to get the "Easy Out" if they have the right size.

also consider this, call a gunsmith or a machinist before you F it up further. i could never find a broken screw extractor small enough. good luck

Thanks for the sound advice. It was exactly what I did. After about 3 hours of being very "patient" and a lot of cursings, I decided to let the professional people handled it. It turned out that the mount was drilled for a #10 hex screw, but the action screw was only big enough to accomodate a #7 scew. That explained the movements of the base after a few shots. Oh well, lesson learned. Will try it out again tomorrow. Hopefully, this will be the end of all problems.