• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Help with Bipod

Anthony C

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2008
New York
I am somewhat new to shooting prone from a bipod. I have read several posts here indicating that a proper fundemaentally sound position a 308 winch should recoil straight back and not bounce all over. Can someone explain or provide a link to a site that details the proper position. Also i am resisting the use of a rear bag or rest. Raeson being is that i understand some matched do not allow them.

Also what should i expect by way of accuracy from this position. For example if i put up at 200yds the sniper one shot challange target (only with dots adjusted to 1/5 inch for 200 yds) to be able to touch each black dot with one shot?

Re: Help with Bipod

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anthony C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also what should i expect by way of accuracy from this position. For example if i put up at 200yds the sniper one shot challange target (only with dots adjusted to 1/5 inch for 200 yds) to be able to touch each black dot with one shot? </div></div>

That would totally depend on your skills and the rifle.

Some (and most) rifles would not be able to touch every black dot at 200 yards no matter what the rest. I'm not sure what you mean about adjusting the dots to 1/5 inch, but assuming the outside circle is 1" I'd be happy with putting all rounds inside the circle at 200 yards.

The rifle is a Remington 5R Milspec. As far as my skills well - they are developing. The 1/2 spot refers to another post i read in this section titled avoid shootng groups. The author suggested a page with what looked like 1/4 dots and rather than shoot groups he suggested the shooter should attempt to shoot at each dot and try to touch it at i believe 100yds. As i have a 200 yd range available doubled the dot to 1/2 inch as the range.

Just printed the target from the other post - i was wrong dots are 1/2 inch at 100yds not 1/4. Sorry.

While kneeling behind the rifle set it up to shoot and point it at your target. Now, lay down, straight behind the rifle and look through the scope. Adjust right or left with the hips keeping everything inline with the target. Close your eyes and take several breaths, work the bolt and recheck your aim, adjust accordingly with your hips, don’t muscle the rifle around to correct your NPA. I use the top half of the recoil pad when shooting prone, it seems to help keep everything inline as well, less jumping around by the rifle. I also use a rear pad/bag when shooting prone. Practice, practice, practice, will help you through this. Good luck

William

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anthony C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also what should i expect by way of accuracy from this position. For example if i put up at 200yds the sniper one shot challange target (only with dots adjusted to 1/5 inch for 200 yds) to be able to touch each black dot with one shot? </div></div>

That ability is going to depend on several things, but most importantly is your ability, or skill. To be able to shoot "consistently" into a 0.5 inch target at 200 yards, requires lots of skill not to mention a very accurate rifle. Basically you are talking about .25 MOA. I don't know anyone personally who can do that, but I suppose it is possible. I know for certain that I cant' do that.

For practice, I try to hit a 0.5 inch at 100 yards, 1 inch target at 200 yards, and a 2 inch target at 300 yards and 3 inch target at 400 yards and so on. And I try to do that consistently with just one shot. I can tell you that it's not as easy as it sounds (perhaps its's easy for someone else). I practice shooting off bipod and no rear bag. It definitely helps me with my shooting techniques, which is average.

Thanks for all the good sugestions. This weekend is supposed to be rain out but i look foward to getting to the range soon to try the suggestions. i would like to add that i am new to this site and the folks here really seem to exhibit the same kind of sincere interest in helping fellow shooters as i have found when i began shooting highe power (service rifle) several years ago. Great site.

Finally got out and tried the advice. I did exactly as someone mentione d here. I got right behind the gun, acquired my natural PA and began shooting. As i only have a 200 yd rnge i used 1 inch and 2 inch dots. Very difficult but very challanging and fun. I only hit the inch a coupe of times and the 2 inch a few more. Need lots of practice. Thanks for all the good suggetsions.