• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing help with breaking in barrel

blazinpixels

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Rochester MN
okay so normally i do the shoot then clean to break in a barrel.

i know some guys say its stupid but i do it just to be on the safe side.

i bought a rock river ar 15 and saw j-b bore bright

he is a older guy my sales and smithy. he said that most guys want to go out into the field and shoot and clean because its fun etc. he said this j-b bore bright has been around for a long time and most guys dont know about it anymore. if i use it in the barrel about 100 passes that will clean up anything foul and there will be no need to break in the barrel by fire and clean.

whats your guys take on this stuff yay or nay?

Re: help with breaking in barrel

100 passes???? If you do that at one time you are destined for failure. JB Bore Bright is an abrasive cleaner. I would just shoot it....chances are that your barrel is chrome lined, and i wouldnt go fucking with the chrome lining by prematurely eroding it away.

I have used the JB bore paste on factory barrels with good results, fouled less and shot better. That being said I am very selective on when I use it on even factory barrels and have a very specific fit to the bore (a lot of trial and error). I NEVER would use it on a custom barrel , and it was always a last resort on the factory barrels.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Why artificially wear your new barrel by lapping it with an abrasive? Then again, it's hard to hurt a chrome-lined barrel. But it's almost impossible to improve one with JB, too. In my opinion, the real potential problem with his idea is that the last thing you want in your chamber and throat is JB.

J-B Bore Bright + AR-15 Crome Barrel = BAD. Some say barrel break in like DPMS. They suggest shoot and clean the barrel for every round until you get to 20. Then after every 10 rounds fired until you get to 100 than you are done. Others say just shoot. Try calling the manufacture of your weapon and see what they say. If they recomend going to an area and throwing the rifle on the deck until it sounds right, hang up lol. Was it just me or did anyone else cringe watching that video lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J-B Bore Bright + AR-15 Crome Barrel = BAD. Some say barrel break in like DPMS. They suggest shoot and clean the barrel for every round until you get to 20. Then after every 10 rounds fired until you get to 100 than you are done. Others say just shoot. Try calling the manufacture of your weapon and see what they say. If they recomend going to an area and throwing the rifle on the deck until it sounds right, hang up lol. Was it just me or did anyone else cringe watching that video lol. </div></div>

HAHA. Yes I did incredibly bad. I felt like I was watching someone drop a baby. While I agree the barrel break in is complete BS, and I understand the point they were making, don't throw a rifle on the rocks. Lol. If it happens accidentally it happens.

awesome thanks for the info. i know for some its a stupid question. but when i hear a 50yr old smithy i think "well
he is older and why would he lie" lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J-B Bore Bright + AR-15 Crome Barrel = BAD. Some say barrel break in like DPMS. They suggest shoot and clean the barrel for every round until you get to 20. Then after every 10 rounds fired until you get to 100 than you are done. Others say just shoot. Try calling the manufacture of your weapon and see what they say. If they recomend going to an area and throwing the rifle on the deck until it sounds right, hang up lol. Was it just me or did anyone else cringe watching that video lol. </div></div>

Unfortunatly for you, you will never know the true intelegence of the video you speek of. That man has ruffed it in AK for years with such rifles and like myself, he feels that if the rifle won't hold up to that, its not staying in the safe. He's a salt of the earth type and doesn't by into the "new fad" type BS that floats around on the internet. I'm sure if he were hear, you'd be getting your FNG ass reaming, and then he'd get banned again. Take it for what its worth but these are the actions of a man that lives and dies by his rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FarmBoy28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome thanks for the info. i know for some its a stupid question. but when i hear a 50yr old smithy i think "well
he is older and why would he lie" lol

</div></div>

He may not be lieing, he just may not know better.

yeah. he is a hard core m1 and ak47 guy. he only shoots 1911's.

(he dosent recommend 1911's to anyone unless they have experience or knows exactly what they want)

he is a decent guy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J-B Bore Bright + AR-15 Crome Barrel = BAD. Some say barrel break in like DPMS. They suggest shoot and clean the barrel for every round until you get to 20. Then after every 10 rounds fired until you get to 100 than you are done. Others say just shoot. Try calling the manufacture of your weapon and see what they say. If they recomend going to an area and throwing the rifle on the deck until it sounds right, hang up lol. Was it just me or did anyone else cringe watching that video lol. </div></div>

Unfortunatly for you, you will never know the true intelegence of the video you speek of. That man has ruffed it in AK for years with such rifles and like myself, he feels that if the rifle won't hold up to that, its not staying in the safe. He's a salt of the earth type and doesn't by into the "new fad" type BS that floats around on the internet. I'm sure if he were hear, you'd be getting your FNG ass reaming, and then he'd get banned again. Take it for what its worth but these are the actions of a man that lives and dies by his rifle. </div></div>

If you wanna be an ass, call people FNG, a term we use in REAL LIFE in the military, not based on how many post someone has, and talk about "intelegence", you should probably start by spelling it "intelligence"

FLYBOY, I apologize if you took my post the wrong way,or if it offended you.I am not making fun of the man, I think there are other ways of testing a weapon besides throwing it on the deck until you think it sounds right. And my definiton of breaking a barrel in must be alot different. But hey as you so eloquently posted I am a FNG and since you know nothing of my background I obviously dont have a clue. By the way I do carry a firearm for a living and have to place my life on it every day as well as those whom I have sworn to protect. So if I need to change my line of thinking, and since you appear to know more about this than I, please teach me, I am willing to learn differnt ways and ideas, thats whay I became a member of the HIDE, Thank You for your time and God Bless

But seriously... why do people get so darned hostile around here, over non-offensive trivial things. If the man doesn't agree with throwing his rifle on the ground, then so be it. You don't have to get all bent out of shape over it.

I thought shooting guns was supposed to be a great stress reliever. Some of yall are WOUND UP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN_Sam1385</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J-B Bore Bright + AR-15 Crome Barrel = BAD. Some say barrel break in like DPMS. They suggest shoot and clean the barrel for every round until you get to 20. Then after every 10 rounds fired until you get to 100 than you are done. Others say just shoot. Try calling the manufacture of your weapon and see what they say. If they recomend going to an area and throwing the rifle on the deck until it sounds right, hang up lol. Was it just me or did anyone else cringe watching that video lol. </div></div>

Unfortunatly for you, you will never know the true intelegence of the video you speek of. That man has ruffed it in AK for years with such rifles and like myself, he feels that if the rifle won't hold up to that, its not staying in the safe. He's a salt of the earth type and doesn't by into the "new fad" type BS that floats around on the internet. I'm sure if he were hear, you'd be getting your FNG ass reaming, and then he'd get banned again. Take it for what its worth but these are the actions of a man that lives and dies by his rifle. </div></div>

If you wanna be an ass, call people FNG, a term we use in REAL LIFE in the military, not based on how many post someone has, and talk about "intelegence", you should probably start by spelling it "intelligence" </div></div>

Your new HERE. You may be God's gift to shooting but your new HERE. If "FNG" gets under your skin, you probably wont last long here. While the Military may or may not have coined the term, it is one in wide circulation outside the service. What is said on this site for the most part is here to help people do the right things. It is sometimes crass but is intentional to try and get a point across.

About my misspellings, I'm a Pilot, Not and English Teacher.

The point of the video is to illustrate, by means of extreme derision and sarcasm, the pointlessness of following the guidance of gun writers, gunstore blabbermouths (Not to include your friend Farmboy), internet know-it-alls or the occasional well meaning person who does a thing because he heard it was the thing to do by one of the above!

The guy in the video is indeed a on again/ off again member here who's shooting and hunting experience is mind boggling. He's an abrasive prick but I listen to what he says (When I can understand his often cryptic or minimalist phraseology). Keep in mind he is doing theater in the vid and you have a fair perspective.

If you want to burn time and bore life "breaking in" the barrel feel free but more than half of the people I listen to on this matter do not and none of them are lazy, ignorant, stupid, wasteful or indifferent to accuracy optimization.

To be clear, I feel it is a waste of time for any but the bench rest folks and that's only because I don't know their sport worth a damn!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN_Sam1385</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J-B Bore Bright + AR-15 Crome Barrel = BAD. Some say barrel break in like DPMS. They suggest shoot and clean the barrel for every round until you get to 20. Then after every 10 rounds fired until you get to 100 than you are done. Others say just shoot. Try calling the manufacture of your weapon and see what they say. If they recomend going to an area and throwing the rifle on the deck until it sounds right, hang up lol. Was it just me or did anyone else cringe watching that video lol. </div></div>

If you wanna be an ass, call people FNG, a term we use in REAL LIFE in the military, not based on how many post someone has, and talk about "intelegence", you should probably start by spelling it "intelligence" </div></div>

Your new HERE. You may be God's gift to shooting but your new HERE. If "FNG" gets under your skin, you probably wont last long here. While the Military may or may not have coined the term, it is one in wide circulation outside the service. What is said on this site for the most part is here to help people do the right things. It is sometimes crass but is intentional to try and get a point across.

About my misspellings, I'm a Pilot, Not and English Teacher. </div></div>

Lol. You really are drinking the kool aid. FNG doesn't get under my skin at all. And you didn't call me an FNG, you called the Police Officer/ SWAT Sniper an FNG.

It is like # of posts around here = nerd street cred.

My reaction was a product of your original post where you had a little hissy fit. "YOULL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE INTELEGENCE", simply because the man doesn't agree with throwing his rifle on the ground. You are clearly an overly sensitive jackass, and you have lasted long enough here to post almost 2,000 posts unfortunately..

I then went on to mock the irony of you attacking a man's intelligence, and not spelling it correctly yourself... in a text box that has spell check.

I would never harass a man for his spelling around here, unless he was first a douche to another guy for no reason, as u were.

As for you being a pilot: we had a saying in the enlisted Naval aviation community; "It takes a high school diploma to fix what a college degree just fucked up."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN_Sam1385</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lol. You really are drinking the kool aid. FNG doesn't get under my skin at all. And you didn't call me an FNG, you called the Police Officer/ SWAT Sniper an FNG.

It is like # of posts around here = nerd street cred.

My reaction was a product of your original post where you had a little hissy fit. "YOULL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE INTELEGENCE", simply because the man doesn't agree with throwing his rifle on the ground. You are clearly an overly sensitive jackass, and you have lasted long enough here to post almost 2,000 posts unfortunately..

I then went on to mock the irony of you attacking a man's intelligence, and not spelling it correctly yourself... in a text box that has spell check.

I would never harass a man for his spelling around here, unless he was first a douche to another guy for no reason, as u were.

As for you being a pilot: we had a saying in the enlisted Naval aviation community; "It takes a high school diploma to fix what a college degree just fucked up." </div></div>

For all your crying about name calling, you do it quite well.