• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with case length???

remr5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Maryland
I have just started reloading rifle cartridges. I have loaded pistol in the past. I have a Remington .308 5r rifle. I bought the Redding s comp die set and. For the decapping and sizing I'm using a RCBS Rock Chucker and I will use a Lee cast press for the seating process. I'm going to dedicate each press to the die so I don't have to mess with it a lot.

To measure I have Sinclair inserts for my Hornady comparitor and a Franford Caliper.

I unpacked my new decapping die (I will not be using a bushing with it), and I tried to get it set up. I intend only to bump the should back .003

For a little information, I clean my rifle every 200 rounds or so but I clean the bolt more often to keep the action crisp.

I cleaned my rifle and shot about 80 round through it and maarked the cases the last time I shot. ( I thought about this after I resised about 40 cases).

I measured the length of the fired cases and four of them were between 1.5664-1.5665 inches. I then cleaned the cases and attempted to get the die set up to produce a case 1.562 inches in length.

As I started this process of sizing I measured the case before I sized it and realized most of the other cases I had were between 1.56625 and 1.56635. I thought about this and think this may be because the chamber was dirty which caused the cases to expand less. What do you think?

It took a long time for me to get consistent results with the die. It seemed like I would adjust the die out, but still would get the sames results(1/4 turn). The final length of the cases are 1.5660-1.5661 inches. The die is only screwed into the press about 3/4 of the way and there is very little resistance when throwing the lever to size the case.

I don't want to overwork the brass (Federal gold metal) and I will be buying laupa when I'm done learning on the Federal brass.

In closing we are talking about a total difference of about .003 in fired case length. All the cases have been shot in my gun. If my math is right, there is a total spread of .005 of an inch which seems large. Should I spilt the difference and size the to 1.5662? Any help or thoughts would be great.

Re: Help with case length???

Averaging anything accomplishes nothing. For a bolt rifle set your size die so the longest sized cases are equal to, or slighly less, than the longest fired shoulder length.

Thanks, do you think the brass I sized is now junk? Or will the brass fire form to the chamber?

Thanks, I barely have the die screwed into the press. i'm looking forward to getting it right and not f***ing with it anymore.

You are saying that your 308 cases are 1.5" in length??? Trim to length of the 308 is 2.005". Unless I am misunderstanding your post.

I assume your using the hornady body with insert D?

Insert D is the one that gives shoulder datum readings on .308 win cases. Im not too sure what the sinclair insert size is.

My Hornady guage gives me around 1.623-1.624 when I read to the datum line on .308 cases.

If you size them down further than what they have expanded to, all that happens when you shoot them is they go back to the formed size. As you would already know pushing the shoulder down too much is a cause for premature case head separation.

Ok, datum line makes a little more sense.

Hi, it sucks being a FNG but I'm learning. From the datum my cases measure 1.563 to 1.564 with the primers in. I decapped the 3 cases with the decapper way out so there was no contact with the die. I got 1.560 on all three. I saved one case to make my dummy round at it measures 2.0085 (oal).

I set my die so my sized cases came out 1.559. My thinking was going off of the case with the primer removed, but should I reset the die to get a final case length of 1.560?

Ok, remr5, if you are asking how far to bump your shoulders back, then I can offer this advice. Try to set the die for minimal shoulder bumping, anywhere from .001 to .003" and that's it. But note that even though you set the die properly, some cases will bump differently than others. This is something I have wrestled with in my observations, and the differences can be attributed to factors such as springback. So if you get a few outliers, bumping back >.003 or not at all, I wouldn't sweat it. Just make sure that the majority of the cases are being bumped .001-.003. If the die is not set down far enough, you will actually observe the shoulder bumping forward. Don't over think it.

Thanks, I spoke with tec support today at Sinclair and ordered the chamber gauge. However I discovered that I now need to order bushings for my die set. I thought I had the die set correctly, ( and probably did) however the necks are to big and will not grip the bullet. The bullet just falls into the case. I guess I need to buy bushings tomorrow and hope they can ship both items together. I thought I did not have to use bushings but I was wrong. At least I will get to resize all the brass for a second time. F*** this sucks not knowing S***.

Ahhh yup you have the redding dies.

They are good dies, but more suited to guys that know their EXACT needs.

If your new to it your just having a guess.

But at least now you have a premium die set.

Well I hope I just placed my last order for equipment for a while. I measured a loaded Federal Gold Match round and also the separate components. The factory round was bigger by .001 so I ordered several bushings but expect to use the .337 the most. The tec guy also said when I switch to Laupa brass I will be using a .336 bushing. So just to make sure I ordered .335 through .338 steel bushings.

Now I get to set my sizing die up all over again, but it should be much faster as I hope to have the large part of the learning curve behind me.

I got my bushings in yesterday and resized all my brass. I used the .337 bushing as per the Redding directions and the tec from Sinclair.

I also measured my chamber length and will be checking and setting up my trimmer tomorrow. So far everything is going well and I hope I'm past the learning curve.

If I measured everything right it looks like my coal (to touch the lands) is 2.98, but due to my magazine the longest I can go is 2.85.

As I get through the ocw test I should find out what my rifle likes in terms of coal and charge. I will say having my kids help me clean the cases after I sized them was a great time saver.