• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with choosing Accuracy International rifles

Hijeffrey95

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
So I have a choice of either choosing an AWM in 300 Win Mag or an AWSM in 338 Lapua

The AWM 1.5 is new in box with original packaging with adjustable cheekpiece and buttstock

The AWSM has 200 rounds through it however it is the 1.0 model, It also includes the original packaging but with a S&B PM1 Scope, 5 mags, sling, AI bipod, everything

They are about the same price point but I am not sure which one would be better

What do you guys think?

What will you be doing with it and do you load your own ammo?

If you're looking at it from a cost perspective the 300 will be cheaper to shoot with factory ammo but the 338 will seriously out perform it. If you load your own and compare the 300 with the 230 Berger to the 338 with the 300 Berger the performance is very close as is the loading cost when you factor the long brass life of the 338 vs the short brass life of the 300. The benefit to each at that point is the 300 will have a little less recoil while the 338 will have a little more down range energy at extreme ranges. Ultimately the ammo situation and what you need to get out of it should dictate your choice. Not simply 300 vs 338.

The .338LM package seems to be a fair bit of a better deal.
You can get S&B .338 ammo pretty cheaply, and then load your own for even cheaper.
I would however contact Mile High Shooting first and get prices on the brand new lines before you make a final decision just to compare and see how the deal compares to a new one.

I would if I had the money however Im afraid that my budget will only allow me to buy one :(

Going to try some long distance shooting with it, anywhere from 100 meters to + 600 meters

Going to try some long distance shooting with it, anywhere from 100 meters to + 600 meters

Jesus, why not just light $5 bills on fire and cut out the middleman? I shoot my .308 to 1000 regularly, I'm not even going to put wear on my .300 unless I'm shooting at LEAST 1000.

For that type of shooting a magnum is absolutely pointless. You're paying more to load or buy ammo, absorbing more recoil, and getting reduced barrel life for absolutely no benefit. A standard 308 will do what you want and much more.

Unless OP is one of those guys who likes to be able to tell people he has an AI or a .300/.338 with some exotic glass, and will shoot about 50 rounds a year. I was surprised to find out these are more common that I suspected. "It's badass!!!" is a good enough reason - I had a guy ask me where to get "one of those lasers like you have on your SBR" (a PEQ2). I told him it was a waste of money without NVGs or plans to shoot at night, and was surprised to find out that he had no idea what it really was or how it was used, but is perfectly willing to spend $2500 just because 'it's badass.'

<smh>

Unless OP is one of those guys who likes to be able to tell people he has an AI or a .300/.338 with some exotic glass, and will shoot about 50 rounds a year. I was surprised to find out these are more common that I suspected. "It's badass!!!" is a good enough reason - I had a guy ask me where to get "one of those lasers like you have on your SBR" (a PEQ2). I told him it was a waste of money without NVGs or plans to shoot at night, and was surprised to find out that he had no idea what it really was or how it was used, but is perfectly willing to spend $2500 just because 'it's badass.'

<smh>

Ditto. I've heard that justification a few times...smh...as my old shooting partner used to say "That's a lot of coin for something that doesn't go "boom"!". :)

And hey - I don't care if anyone wants to buy anything they want, other than I reserve the right to think you're a douche if you buy things just because 'they're badass!!'

Ditto. I've heard that justification a few times...smh...as my old shooting partner used to say "That's a lot of coin for something that doesn't go "boom"!". :)

Okay so I found an Accuracy International AW 308 for $4100, It is a 1.5 stock and around 85-90% condition with 3000 rounds through it. Would this be a good deal or not?

To the OP, I'd say that's a good deal on an AW in 308. You'll be able to shoot thousands more rounds through it. When you shoot that barrel out or tire of the 308 caliber, you can rebarrel it in a different short action caliber, assuming you'll be doing a lot of shooting with it.

I also agree the 330 and 338 are overkill at he OP's ranges. I also would contact Mile High and see if the have any 308 AIAE's in.

Are the stock sides for the AT the legacy style ones or the news generation stocks?

If you order the Thumbhole kit they are very similar. The major changes are flush cups vs hooks which are much better and quieter, and the key slot system on the bottom.

HIJeffery95
I would negotiate on the AW. You can get a brand new AT with thumbhole stock sides as an accessory for less than that. If he will not come down in price buy an AT.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

I think I would listen to this guy. He seems like he knows what he is talking about. Haha. On a side note, if you don't reload and don't want a 308, you could always pick up one in 6.5 creedmoor.

Last edited:
You can always buy the lesser caliber and order a bolt and barrel from AINA like I did one year ago. I have a 338 and ordered a 7mm rem mag barrel and magnum bolt and change them as I need to.

Do what I did and buy a .260 rem (or 6.5 CM) and get a .338 Lapua and keep all your bases covered, because you never know what you might have to shoot. - LOL. Rifle is only half the battle, you need a glass, perhaps a can, brass and all the reloading crap that pushes the price 8-10K per caliber.

Okay so I found an Accuracy International AW 308 for $4100, It is a 1.5 stock and around 85-90% condition with 3000 rounds through it. Would this be a good deal or not?
round count is too high for that. You can get a new one.