• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with date code on Remington Rifle

Charlie112

Herd Thinner
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
USA
Evening,
I am having a problem trying to date this Remington rifle, on the left side of the barrel are the numbers and letters listed below in front of the lug, so, am I correct in that the m is 1965, and the C is April?? The m is smaller letter than the C, however it is a capital letter, perhaps from a different stamp set.....The 92 could be a repair date.. confused as hell,,, I have a copy of the dates and codes, but just can't work the puzzle. It is an older rifle.

This is what it looks like, but the m looks like a runt. 2 9 C m 1 4 [ lug
M

Thanks, Charlie112

Last edited:
It would help if we had some pictures and more info. What kind of rifle, model, what calibre, photos of the date code, serial number range. Every little bit is useful.

It would help if we had some pictures and more info. What kind of rifle, model, what calibre, photos of the date code, serial number range. Every little bit is useful.
Ok, I will get some pics up later, the rifle is Model 700, ADL, 6mm, 149xxx serial number, it has the early clip slot, I won't get the pics up until tomorrow...
Thanks.

730468C1-6B77-4E14-A924-B3D7434D8911.png

Okay so best I can figure, and I'm not an expert by any means, your rifle's dated to April '65. The 29 and 14 are probably inspection marks or proof marks of some kind, but the only thing I know conclusively is the April '65 part. Unless of course it's April '92, but I'd think with your serial number it would be the older one.

Funnily, there's a thread in the Bear Pit where I had a similar question re: a random number on a 1911A1. At the moment there's a tentative consideration it's an inspection/assembler's number, so I'm kinda leaning towards it being one on your rifle too. A couple of things found on the internet suggest likewise.

Hopefully someone who knows better than me can chime in if I'm wrong.

Okay so best I can figure, and I'm not an expert by any means, your rifle's dated to April '65. The 29 and 14 are probably inspection marks or proof marks of some kind, but the only thing I know conclusively is the April '65 part. Unless of course it's April '92, but I'd think with your serial number it would be the older one.

Funnily, there's a thread in the Bear Pit where I had a similar question re: a random number on a 1911A1. At the moment there's a tentative consideration it's an inspection/assembler's number, so I'm kinda leaning towards it being one on your rifle too. A couple of things found on the internet suggest likewise.

Hopefully someone who knows better than me can chime in if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the info,, will check out Bear Pit,,,

Thanks for the info,, will check out Bear Pit,,,
To clarify, the Bear Pit thread was about a value/ID of someone's 1911A1 and I asked a question in it about a random number present on my own 1911A1. The numbers on my pistol and your rifle are unrelated, I just think they're both likely to serve a similar purpose in just identifying who put the weapon together or inspected it.

You used to be able to call Remington customer service and just give them your serial number. They would then tell exactly what it was when it left the factory. C (April) has to be the month....because their is no M in the "BLACKPOWDERx" month code system.

You should be able to narrow it down to one or two years due to clip slotting. That wasn't commonly done for very many years through the entirety of the 700's run. If it has the bolt locking safety trigger group on it...that will narrow it down some more

Reactions: Charlie112

There is an app for that…

C-prefix guns are From the ‘80s or so. That is a much earlier gun. Barrel number is not a serial number prefix.

Cheers, Sirhr

Ps those early-ish 700’s are nice guns!

Reactions: Charlie112