• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with depriming .308 & .223 military brass

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
I am having a real hard time depriming military brass. I keep breaking the depriming die pin on both .308 and .223. I have some .308 brass that is non American...I have a real hard time with it. What could I be doing wrong? thanks

Re: Help with depriming .308 & .223 military brass

You are sure that it is "Boxer" primed ,right?

To check,...look down into the case the, Boxer has one flash hole..berdan primed has two offset smaller flash holes and for all practical purposes is not easily reloaded.

On the other hand,if it is Boxer primed... what brand brass is it?

If it is in fact "boxer" primed, I favor a Lee hand punch and base for hard to deprime brass. Either swage or cut the primer pocket to remove the crimp before trying to reprime.

Good luck.

Over the years I've deprimed thousands of mil cases, mostly LC. I remember breaking one pin.

If one hole, get a Lee universal deprimer die. If two holes...I'd put them in the "two holer" . JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one hole, get a Lee universal deprimer die. If two holes...I'd put them in the "two holer" . JMHO </div></div>Agreed. a ten dollar Lee decapping die works great.

What brand of brass is it?

Look for offset flash holes.

Lee decapping dies are great, but the unbreakable decapping pin, is, believe it or not, VERY breakable. I should know, I have broken a bunch of them. I usually call Lee and get 6 or so sent at a time so I can just switch them out.

So far, I think I have tried about every decapper die out there and its still the best there is, breakable or not.

John

Some .223 brass I've seen have undersized flash holes too. Get the universal decapper and turn the pin radius down a bit.

Guatemalan 223/5.56*45 has 0.060 sized flash holes instead of the more normal 0.075 flash holes. I had to lap my decapping pin down from 0.075 to 0.055 in my lathe to get them decapped.

Never heard of undersized 308 flash holes--however there are Berdan primed cases in 308 (South African,...)

Another issue is the crimp. Here you need firm steady LIGHT pressure on the lever to move the primer from the case without overstressing the pin. After being deprimed, this crimp must be removed before the next primer is inserted. Many swage the crimp out, I cut them out with a sharpened exacto knife.

I chucked up a Hornady primer pocket uniformer in my drill press and processed 100 cases in less than 10 minutes.

I don't think a primer pocket uniformer's going to remove the crimp for you, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think a primer pocket uniformer's going to remove the crimp for you, though. </div></div>
I guess I should've called it a primer pocket "reamer". Anyway, it's this product and it certainly didn't have any trouble removing the crimps from mine: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=253550

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NativeCraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think a primer pocket uniformer's going to remove the crimp for you, though. </div></div>
I guess I should've called it a primer pocket "reamer". Anyway, it's this product and it certainly didn't have any trouble removing the crimps from mine: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=253550 </div></div>It's cool, it's just that a reamer and a uniformer do different things.
laugh.gif