• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with Dillon 550 Shell Plate Locator Buttons

mjbaker22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 30, 2020
    Illinois
    The shell plate locator buttons on my Dillon 550 keep slipping out as I'm loading. Does anyone else have this problem?

I've loaded many thousands of rounds on a 550 and haven't had an issue. What station? What caliber, shell plate, and buttons? History of the machine? (I'm really asking if the top plate has been removed and perhaps misaligned.) Is the shell plate bolt too loose? If you can prime to flush or below, that likely isn't the issue.

Interested in more info too. I have them slip out of my fingers during caliber changes but that's it...

I've loaded many thousands of rounds on a 550 and haven't had an issue. What station? What caliber, shell plate, and buttons? History of the machine? (I'm really asking if the top plate has been removed and perhaps misaligned.) Is the shell plate bolt too loose? If you can prime to flush or below, that likely isn't the issue.
    It's a Dillon 550B I bought from an auction. I don't know the exact history, but it appeared to be new when I bought it.

I load a variety of pistol and rifle cartridges on it. I use it for 6mm Creedmoor more than anything. I use a #1 shell plate and #1 locator button. Typically the button falls out of position #3 where I manually dump powder in through a funnel and place bullets.

When I change calibers, I pay close attention to get the shell plate tight so I don't have primers that stick out.

I have added shell plate thrust bearings to it. The washers that came with the thrust bearing kit are getting worn. That may have something to do with it.

It's a Dillon 550B I bought from an auction. I don't know the exact history, but it appeared to be new when I bought it.

I load a variety of pistol and rifle cartridges on it. I use it for 6mm Creedmoor more than anything. I use a #1 shell plate and #1 locator button. Typically the button falls out of position #3 where I manually dump powder in through a funnel and place bullets.

When I change calibers, I pay close attention to get the shell plate tight so I don't have primers that stick out.

I have added shell plate thrust bearings to it. The washers that came with the thrust bearing kit are getting worn. That may have something to do with it.

The alignment tool to check top plate alignment isn't terribly expensive. Next time you order something from Dillon add it on. I don't think that's your issue, but it's a good thing to have around. I run naked so not sure if the shell plate bearing kit could cause an issue there, but maybe?

If I rest my hand on the bullet tray while cycling the ram, I can catch the #3 pin with my index finger and pop it out and not really even feel it. Is it something that simple perhaps? The #1 pins are fairly small. I can't think of anything else, but I'm planning to load up some BR tonight and tomorrow and will really pay attention to that particular pin.

The alignment tool to check top plate alignment isn't terribly expensive. Next time you order something from Dillon add it on. I don't think that's your issue, but it's a good thing to have around. I run naked so not sure if the shell plate bearing kit could cause an issue there, but maybe?

If I rest my hand on the bullet tray while cycling the ram, I can catch the #3 pin with my index finger and pop it out and not really even feel it. Is it something that simple perhaps? The #1 pins are fairly small. I can't think of anything else, but I'm planning to load up some BR tonight and tomorrow and will really pay attention to that particular pin.
    Thanks for the help. I think you're on the right track with it hitting my finger. I will pay close attention to that.

Did you get it figured out? I ended up loading on the single stage and haven't had the 550 back out in a while.