• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help with knife choice please

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
My mother-in-law, god bless her, wants to buy me a hunting knife. I don't hunt, she won't take no for an answer. She is at the end of her life and she wants me to have this knife, she told me money is no object but I won't go that far. I carry a hidden belt or a folding knife when I have one on me. So with that being said a fixed blade would be nice. I guess I would use it in maybe a SHTF or something for a BOB.

Any suggestions for a good quality fixed blade say around a $100.00?

I guess she's doing this because I will not take anything from her, unlike the leaches of her other family. Honestly, I could use some more DBM mags, or a nice stock for the .243 more.

Thanks guys.

Re: Help with knife choice please

That eese is a nice looking knife.

Gerber Infantry are damn near indestructible and right around the $100 price range. I took one through my survival school here in Alaska and beat the crap out of it cutting through logs and everything. Its definitely a knife I would recommend checking out.

Other then that I am a big fan of Kramer Custom Knives he is a personal friend and does some great work I carry one of his knives on my gun belt.

my opinion:

first of all, this is a personal gift that ought to remind you of the person that hands it over ...

so from my point of view, the hilt/knife or some part really has to have an engraving of some sort. initials, something you both shared and yet is not obvious (can be anything as long as its personal) -> this kind of stuff doesn't cost much but makes an industrial item into something that really is something you _inherit_

for example, the knife of my old man looks roughly like that:
M-hirsch.jpg

and at the hilt you can have some motive or initials:
G-Abschl.gh.jpg
Monogr.jpg

those you can get for about 100 euro including the initials/motive ...

you can get the hilt made from deer, chamois, ...

they are very high quality and used for field-dressing as well as trophy-preparation, pocket-knife etc.

however, they are strongly related (for traditional reasons) in our area to hunting. so you'd cut your own chamois-sausages with it and cheese plus bread - but you'd not hand it over to anyone, you'd keep it as sharp as possible, you'd keep it clean, etc

well. bottom line - those are very personal and you/we can tell alot just by the knife of a person - preferred hunt/hunting area; whether he's around alot (leather sheath used or not), ...

maybe it gives you an idea

I do like all of the above. I like the Ka-bar Mark 1. $65.

We may have a winner with that ESEE, I'm diggin that thing. What do you think, smooth blade or combo? I really don't know much about knifes and was hoping the hide could guide me along. Any I should stay away from? What's your choice of blade material? Nothing rusts in Vegas so that may help the decision.

Damn fine looking blade there Threetrees. I do understand what you are saying. Thank you for the reminder. I don't think she is doing it because she's going to pass on tomorrow, I figure a couple of years. I think this is her way of saying thank you for taking care of my daughter(her ex was an abusive man).

Personally I have always loved a straight edge but serrations can be nice if you are cutting thick cordage or anything like that they are just a bit more of a pain to sharpen.

The other thing that you could always look at is just getting a knife you like then having the blade engraved with something. I am sure there are plenty of engraving shops in vegas.

U cant go wrong with the esee. I use the izula as a neck knife. Tough as nails. Dont look at randalls because ur gonna want one for sure. Hard to find and pricy but Damn fine pieces. I also carry emerson folders but not sur they wuld have a fixed blade that wuld meet wat ur lookin for.

I keep a Gerber LMF II in my truck for emergencies. I do like the integrated sharpener in the sheath, and the retention is nice and stiff so no worries on it falling out. Seems to hold and edge for what I use it for. Not the best hunting knife, as it is a bit large, but for an all around survival/utility knife with a combo blade, no compalaints here.

Well I sent the message to the mother in law that I wanted the ESEE. I like that Rat7 too, choice is not set in stone so if you've got other suggestions then by all means post them up. We'll see how it plays out.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I have always loved a straight edge but serrations can be nice if you are cutting thick cordage or anything like that they are just a bit more of a pain to sharpen.

The other thing that you could always look at is just getting a knife you like then having the blade engraved with something. I am sure there are plenty of engraving shops in vegas. </div></div>

I love that rifle !! nice