• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback Help with likely scam

btlongshot243

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2014
Here is a post I hoped I would never have to make. I made a post on April 15th looking for a BCM MCMR for a buddy of mine. I received a message from "kuiusniper" offering their rail for sale. After some discussion, I attempted to send the requested amount through Zelle. The first transaction declined, so he gave another email address through which a successful transaction was sent. When I asked if he had shipped the rail, he said he had been slammed at work and would ship soon. Soon after that reply, the users account went away, as did the full two sided conversation on Snipers Hide. Thankfully, I have screenshots of email notifications from the conversation, as well as his requested screenshots of the Zelle transactions.

My question is, what, if any, recourse do I have? Please shoot me a message if you have any suggestions or have dealt with this user before. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-000731_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-000731_Email.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Screenshot_20210426-000751_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-000751_Email.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Screenshot_20210426-000812_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-000812_Email.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_20210426-000838_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-000838_Email.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_20210426-000850_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-000850_Email.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Screenshot_20210426-001017_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-001017_Email.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_20210426-001024_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-001024_Email.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20210426-001037_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-001037_Chrome.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20210416-172309_Ameris Bank.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-172309_Ameris Bank.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20210416-175642_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-175642_Email.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Screenshot_20210417-202730_Ameris Bank.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-202730_Ameris Bank.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 245
AFAIK with Zelle you have no recourse. You can try presenting what you have with your bank but I doubt they will do anything.
The name change on the email alone should have been enough warning something was wrong, it wasn't a nom de plume it was a real name.

Omg...that is scary. Sorry to hear.

This user responded recently to my WTB post for a Steiner scope. I declined the offer because the tone seemed far too formal to be legit (see image below). But what really smelled off was that when mentiong the reticle it had the "TM" trademark superscript...as if it was a cut/paste job.

Unlikely anything can be done if PYPL FF / Venmo...unfortunately 😔

Screenshot_20210425-214103_K-9 Mail.jpg

You’re not going to see your money unless you paid with a credit card through zelle which I don’t think is a thing. I could be wrong.

Sometimes talking to people on the phone is the fastest way to find out if the person is sketchy or not. Sorry you lost your money man, especially trying to help out your buddy. I hope you find a legit seller with the hand guard you’re looking for.

Omg...that is scary. Sorry to hear.

This user responded recently to my WTB post for a Steiner scope. I declined the offer because the tone seemed far too formal to be legit (see image below). But what really smelled off was that when mentiong the reticle it had the "TM" trademark superscript...as if it was a cut/paste job.

Unlikely anything can be done if PYPL FF / Venmo...unfortunately 😔

View attachment 7612278
Very much "Engrish" in the responses good thing you passed on it.

Had a similar experience with some toyota parts. My electronic payment was linked to my banks CC not debit card. I sent them the chat messages and was reimbursed 100%....

Unfortunately, my Zelle is linked to my bank account, not a CC. I'll try to contact my bank tomorrow and hope for the best. They're a local bank with great service, so we'll see!

I worked for a bank for 12 years. I would not use Zelle for purchases from unknown person. Their is no recourse. The bank I used to work for would ask you 2 times if you knew the person your sending money too. It really does suck. But from a banks perspective, a lot of people send money to random people and get scammed. Would cost a fortune to cover these mistakes.

Reactions: jrkotz
On a positive note, atleast it was only $150. Relatively cheap lesson to learn, that will never be made again. I’m genuinely sorry that this scammer won this time. I’m sure there’s a very good reason why it’s not done here, but sometimes I’m actually glad that ‘other for sale site’ makes you submit an ID before you can sell (can’t remember if it was needed to buy)

Feedback feedback feedback, Check it in the future. Ask for phone numbers, pictures of current drivers license...etc. I got scammed a while back, but the idiot sent me his actually drivers license. This is the only reason I was able to apply legal pressure on him to refund the funds, which he did.

Seller called the barrel nut a "mounting screw". Hindsight is 20/20 but everyone should be wary of red flags like this.

Since you paid with a service directly linked to your bank account I would notify them and have them flag your account for awhile.
It’s a fraud protection service they can provide. They will contact you directly (you give them your preferred method of contacting you) and set a dollar amount on every transaction that hits your account and they will contact you to authorize. I recently did this and set it at $50. Anytjing over they sent a text and email for authorization. It was a huge PITA but much better than the alternative. I let mine run for 12 months and without any issues I raised it to $500 and it is still in place today 18 months later.

I had same kind of scam on here in November I was looking for a 700 long action and received a message paid with zelle and nothing then email was gone and my $$$

It can really happen anytime but I definitely try to only buy stuff here on the hide and usually the first thing I check is their start date and posts Here on the hide. This is by no means full proof. but I figure if they been around and post stuff theyre more than likely ok. next I check their AO. Closer the better in case a face to face may be required. Lastly, if something is too good to be true it usually is. again none of it is full proof, but I’ve had no issues

I'll occasionally do low-value transactions with unreviewed members here, but always to "sell" to them, never to "buy" from them. And I always use PayPal F&F (No Comments) to receive payment and make it clear that I only ship "after" the PayPal funds have successfully transferred to my bank and out of my PayPal account. If someone wants a transaction with me where I'm sending money to them ... it needs to be a well-established forum member with a long history of participation and at least several 100%-positive reviews on prior transactions.

Using these rules, in dozens of transactions, I've never had a problem. This transaction noted at the start of the thread, has more red-flags than a railroad switch-yard.

Well some how the guy I bought action from had a old account on here and after the transfer it was gone it was from 2018 not sure how that worked

But that being said I've also bought several guns off of here and a mark 5 scope and had no problems well so sold several guns off of here with no problems except for once I sold one and the guy did friends and family PayPal and then called PayPal after I shipped it and said that whoever used his account wasn't authorized and PayPal put a hold on the funds luckily I sent it to an FFL and I called the FFL and told him they would be charged with interstate theft of a firearm if they released it and I didn't get my funds so they held it until the guy cleared it up and I got my funds I called the FFL and they released the gun everyone was happy word to the wise

Reactions: DROWN
First denied payment would have made me want to talk to this dude in person to clarify.

eta- do you at least know the username still so you can report to a mod? Maybe if it pops up again, at least someone will know they are not legit

But that being said I've also bought several guns off of here and a mark 5 scope and had no problems well so sold several guns off of here with no problems except for once I sold one and the guy did friends and family PayPal and then called PayPal after I shipped it and said that whoever used his account wasn't authorized and PayPal put a hold on the funds luckily I sent it to an FFL and I called the FFL and told him they would be charged with interstate theft of a firearm if they released it and I didn't get my funds so they held it until the guy cleared it up and I got my funds I called the FFL and they released the gun everyone was happy word to the wise
EXACTLY why I make it clear that I don't ship anything until the PayPal funds have successfully transferred to my bank. That takes 2-3 days, and always allows time to expose any account shenanigans with PayPal.

Best PayPal scam ever was when my sister was selling a trailer. Buyer wanted to transfer funds via PayPal the same day his "friend" dropped by to pick up the trailer and drive away. He couldn't do it himself because he was "... out of the country on government business ..." and he couldn't talk on the phone because of "security concerns" in his sensitive government job. The Emails were all written by someone that obviously had English as a second language. He made it clear that the PayPal transaction and trailer pickup had to take place the same day. My sister asked me "Should I be concerned about this?" I laughed out loud ...

Reactions: lash
PayPal F&F is a way to save fees but does not protect yourself. Had friend buy some motorcycle parts. Guy said pay me with F&F and I will ship. Buddy does it and couple weeks go by. He tried contacting seller a bunch of times through the 2 weeks and nothing. Guy even relisted parts tht looked exactly what my friend bought. So he calls PayPal and they gladly refunded it.

Best part is the seller (early to mid 20s) had his father contact my friend. After listening to the father scream and yell he invited him down to his mechanic shop. Explained his kids selling practices and had the father quickly change his tune and get the parts to my friend.

The Gun Tab service people have mentioned sounds like good idea. Just sucks to have to pay 2.9% in fees because of how many asshole crooks are out there.

I forgot. I usually like speaking with the other person to get a feel if they are real or otherwise.

I hope you've reported this to the moderators with all the information you have. I'm sure you've lost your money, but perhaps they can flag a IP or something. Probably not, but you never know.

Reactions: stefan73
I feel like a quick phone call can usually give you a quick bead on a persons nature. I always give my cell and request the other persons cell number. Zelle has been working for me as an alternative to PayPal after I got booted for firearm related transactions, but there's no guarantees, just like cash. Maybe we'll all eventually migrate to GunTab. Sorry you got scammed, sucks man!!

Well some how the guy I bought action from had a old account on here and after the transfer it was gone it was from 2018 not sure how that worked

These guys register bunch, then they let them sit for when they need them.

Got to check Feedback. That's the key. If they have good feedback and they post on here, you won't have an issue. If they don't have feedback, don't deal with them. Period.

PayPal F&F is a way to save fees but does not protect yourself.
Yup ... I get that, but if you want to use PayPal for gun-related transactions, it has to be F&F/No-Comment ... or else you'll get flagged by PayPal and your account frozen. If you do the protected commercial transaction and there's ANY gun or gun-accessory mention ... you're screwed. I've learned from others that F&F works fine for gun transactions, as long as the seller waits and transfers to their bank to avoid any take-back related to hijacked accounts. I've gotta know someone pretty darn well to use Zelle, and USPS Money Orders "suck" during a Pandemic. PayPal works, if you take the proper precautions.

Not on this forum but the past I was scammed and used a USPS MO ($950). No one did anything local cops to the person it went to looked into it and said that person was being scammed to so since thats the case they would not do anything. I contracted the PO they did nothing, tried to get them with mail fraud and nothing. I even requested the copy of the MO I paid for it got it knew who signed it and what bank they cashed it at but local cops would do nothing.

Not on this forum but the past I was scammed and used a USPS MO ($950). No one did anything local cops to the person it went to looked into it and said that person was being scammed to so since thats the case they would not do anything. I contracted the PO they did nothing, tried to get them with mail fraud and nothing. I even requested the copy of the MO I paid for it got it knew who signed it and what bank they cashed it at but local cops would do nothing.

If you've ever had anything stolen, you learn really quickly that the cops don't even attempt to find out anything about it.

Reactions: disla82
If you've ever had anything stolen, you learn really quickly that the cops don't even attempt to find out anything about it.
Yup my son was in the NICU where they have a gated parking lot and armed security. Someone broke in my truck and did $3400 damage in the parking lot. The cops didnt even come investigate I never saw a report or anything they just mailed it to the insurance company.

I think i got scammed last week also. I sent the funds via venmo. Guy said he will ship, he wrote to me saying he shipped but i never received a shipping confirmation nor have i received the package. I have sent him multiple emails through here and no reply he hasnt loghed in since he said he shipped it. I am hoping the package does actually arrive sometime this week. Fingers are crossed.

Here is a post I hoped I would never have to make. I made a post on April 15th looking for a BCM MCMR for a buddy of mine. I received a message from "kuiusniper" offering their rail for sale. After some discussion, I attempted to send the requested amount through Zelle. The first transaction declined, so he gave another email address through which a successful transaction was sent. When I asked if he had shipped the rail, he said he had been slammed at work and would ship soon. Soon after that reply, the users account went away, as did the full two sided conversation on Snipers Hide. Thankfully, I have screenshots of email notifications from the conversation, as well as his requested screenshots of the Zelle transactions.

My question is, what, if any, recourse do I have? Please shoot me a message if you have any suggestions or have dealt with this user before. Thanks.
Sorry to say but:

1619458522314.png

ALWAYS get a phone number and talk to the person. ALWAYS

As far as reporting it, I'm of the belief that all the Mods are interested in is what account so they can block/delete. They are NOT going to be helpful in any way about your being scammed as Frank has MANY times posted about not doing stupid shit like sending money to someone via an untraceable online system and zero investigation of the person. Some people have laid this at their feet as if they are responsible or somehow need to take action to do....well, something. And nothing could be further from the truth.

The PX is provided here as a convenience and service to members.....other than that...you are on your own so do your due diligence or risk being scammed.

Reactions: Yondering
I think i got scammed last week also. I sent the funds via venmo. Guy said he will ship, he wrote to me saying he shipped but i never received a shipping confirmation nor have i received the package. I have sent him multiple emails through here and no reply he hasnt loghed in since he said he shipped it. I am hoping the package does actually arrive sometime this week. Fingers are crossed.

So you didn't look for feedback ? If they don't have feedback, they are scammers. When I first got here, I asked for feedback for this reason.

Reactions: bassmaster07
So you didn't look for feedback ? If they don't have feedback, they are scammers. When I first got here, I asked for feedback for this reason.
No man, i did not i simply trusted the person based on the good ol boy network. Like i said fingers are crossed and hopefully the package does arrive. However the individual has only been on this group since february and has no reviews.

No man, i did not i simply trusted the person based on the good ol boy network. Like i said fingers are crossed and hopefully the package does arrive. However the individual has only been on this group since february and has no reviews.

Sorry bud, but there's zero chance that you recieve anything. It's done. Live and learn. Don't feel too bad, years ago I was really busy with work and I got scammed by this collection agency for a whole bunch more than you! Long Story concerning them recovering money for me and I was a dumbass. It happens.

Feedback is what makes this place work. I've yet to hear of anyone getting scammed by someone with good feedback. Ever. If it's happened and someone who's been around longer knows about it then let them say so, but I don't think it has. That feedback for that particular screen name can't be faked. It's an absolute MUST to check it. Live and learn bro.

I'm afraid even the feedback isn't 100%. It's possible a scammer can access a dormant account and use it for posting. He then has whatever feedback the original user had. Due diligence is really a combination of lots of things. Read recent posts, Google names, look at addresses on Maps, phone calls, etc. Any one of those can be faked, so the worth is in the combination. Once I cut and pasted into Google a knowledgeable sounding recent post of a person I was suspicious of and found it copied verbatim from a UK bird watcher site. Moderators were quick to ban. Scammers are sly and everywhere.

No man, i did not i simply trusted the person based on the good ol boy network. Like i said fingers are crossed and hopefully the package does arrive. However the individual has only been on thos group since february

Also another way to help is request a picture with your user name and the date next to the item and try to get the serial number in the picture. Look at other pics they may of sent and check the serial number there as well.

This is not a safe space! Nothing on the internet is...Ask for proof, talk on the phone. If selling provide proof as asked for happily. Provide feedback after deals are done.

Yes I have been guilty of not following these rules. But they were $20 or so items so risk vs effort, I took the risk. No way I am doing that for scope/rifle or $100 dollar deal. Sucks but it is what it is.

Yup my son was in the NICU where they have a gated parking lot and armed security. Someone broke in my truck and did $3400 damage in the parking lot. The cops didnt even come investigate I never saw a report or anything they just mailed it to the insurance company.
Cops couldn't get past the locked gate and armed security. :sneaky:

did you send him a screen shot of the zelle transaction?

When exactly did he reply? You didn't make a transaction with him, did you?
He said he had one then gave a description of the item with the same style wording that happened to you. He said he would take zelle as payment so then I stayed away. The wording in the description through me off compared to how most talk and word there items.

This has been said many times before (after similar screwings) . . . you should apply heightened scrutiny to folks replying in PMs to WTB postings. Fraudsters like to take advantage of folks looking for hard to find items because they are the most likely to overlook red flags due from tunnel vision. If you're not checking for feedback, you are setting yourself up to get screwed eventually. No feedback should raise the need, at the very least, for further verification (have a phone call . . . demand a photo of a government issued ID for any transaction you're not willing to get screwed on (smart practice for any high dollar item regardless of feedback status; I have yet to have a trustworthy Hide member refuse to provide a copy of a driver's license for larger-ticket items and I send the same to the seller)). Grammatical errors should always be a red flag. We all make mistakes from time to time. Folks that have English as a second or third language tend to engage in grammatical errors that most English-first/only speakers will not. The original pm to the OP here was pretty solid there. But the message on the 17th seems entirely inconsistent in tone and quality (i.e., different author). The payment issue and the request to send the money to an entirely different account should have also raised serious warning flags. Seems super odd. No similarity in the account names (i.e., not a married couple) . . . who diverts electronic funds to an unrelated friend's account . . . or worse, what is one individual doing with access to two different accounts with two different names.

As others mentioned, it was a cheap fleecing. Live and learn. Everyone's risk tolerance is different and I'd bet most people (myself included) have taken much larger gambles in life. But at some point this particular transaction shifted from a gamble to a case of willful ignorance. If someone gives you a reason to doubt them (especially true of online transactions with faceless persons), you should doubt them.

Before you buy, get a picture of the product with their screen name on a piece of paper in the pic. If they have only been around a month or 12 be wary. I have passed up a lot of products because of this, But I have no been screwed either. It was different 10 years ago. If the price is too good... be afwaid, verwy afwaid.