• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with loadout for the Gun Run

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
My wife and I scored tickets to the sawmill Gun Run and I have some questions about load out.

For those that have done one:

* Are you just running rifle and pistol mags on a belt or chest rig?

* How many mags for rifle and pistol do you typically need for each stage? (basically how many pouches should I bring)

* Are you carrying a backpack for extra ammo, snacks, water?

* Any carbine specific things should we practice? (I.e. hold overs/unders)

We typically do a few 5k mudruns each year and shoot monthly IDPA, and I do PRS. However this is our first gun run and neither of us do anything under a timer with carbine manipulation so that will be a first for us.

Do you have an FB account? Join the "RNG Discussion" group - there's a lot more Run N Gun discussion happening there than anywhere else on the internet.

Specifically for the matches run by Ellis under the banner of his The Gun Run company, they tend to be lower round count, so if you're a good shooter, you can get away with just running with a belt carrying 2 rifle and 2 pistol mags - but that's risky, if you run out of ammo, you take a zero for the remaining stages. For other higher round count matches, I carry a micro chest rig to move some of the weight off my hips and onto my chest. Regardless, I recommend taking at least double whatever the posted minimum round count is. So if you can carry all that on your belt, great! If not, you'll need to carry extra mags either on a chest rig or in a backpack.

I frequently carry around 1L of water in a camelback, especially when the weather is hot. You can easily stash an extra mag or two in even the smallest camelback, so that may prevent you from needing to wear a chest rig too. Just swap out the empty mags for full mags on the run between stages.

For carbine, the most important things to practice are getting into stable positions quickly on improvised support and off-hand/off-shoulder shooting (both pistol and rifle). Those tend to show up in every match. Other than that, just be well rounded. Every match is so different it's hard to say what to expect.

RnG is (in my humble opinion) about the most fun and most practical shooting discipline we've got. Glad you scored tickets! I've done upwards of 40 RnGs now and it's my absolute favorite way to spend a day.

Reactions: Rookie