• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with my AR-10T

mwcullom

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2011
Just purchased a New Armalite AR-10TBNF 20" SS Barrel. I have many bolt guns however this is my first "black" gun. I went through the breakin process Armalite suggested. After thourough cleanings the gun will cycle about 5 rounds then begins to short stroke, not picking the next round up and once the last round is fired the bolt doesn't travel far enough back to lock. I have tried three different armalite mags(two genII's and a genI) and the ammo I'm using is top notch. Just lookin for some advice on how to solve the problem. Thanks!

Re: Help with my AR-10T

I'd start with the simplest and easiest solution. Lube the crap out of it. How have you been lubricating it so far?

Do a search on here... there is another member having the same issues and there have been a TON of suggeestions. One of them may help solve your issue.

Matt.

So far I've been using lots of rem oil on it. Been leaving visible amounts on the bolt when I put it back together.

It sounds to me like you are having a problen with your gas check or tube. Inspect the tube and see if there is any signs of a leak or or something that would impede the flow.

Beforehand check the positioning of the rings on the bolt. Make sure the gaps are staggered.

That would eliminate the possibilty of my suggestion.

My Ar-10 did the same thing when new, and I have read about others with the same issue. It only happened when I used some weaker ammo (American Eagle 150gr.). It should clear up as it gets broken in. Good luck.

The gun is bone stock. The ammo I'm using is federal gold match 168gr and a hand load of 46 grains of varget and 150 grain nosler bt's. I will check the gas system and the buffer spring. Thanks. Just a lot of $$ to spend for a rifle to have to be troubleshooting a problem so soon!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClayDirt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beforehand check the positioning of the rings on the bolt. Make sure the gaps are staggered. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClayDirt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beforehand check the positioning of the rings on the bolt. Make sure the gaps are staggered. </div></div>

+1
</div></div>This is an AR-10 and has been stated they have a one piece gas ring. I have also heard that they usually have so much gas they'll run without a gas ring.

What is the gun ejecting like? Is it ejecting strongly and in what direction?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armalite AR-10's don't have that issue. They have a one piece McFarland gas ring http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1055&Category=8c79b6d7-df94-4498-9d3e-c76eaa613b0a</div></div>

[/quote]This is an AR-10 and has been stated they have a one piece gas ring. I have also heard that they usually have so much gas they'll run without a gas ring.

What is the gun ejecting like? Is it ejecting strongly and in what direction?[/quote]

sorry didn't see that earlier.

The first four or five shots eject strong. About 4 feet and slightly back. Then the brass don't eject as far for about two shots then the short stroking starts.

RemOil sucks for AR lube, it is too thin and burns off quickly. This may be why you get 5 rounds that eject good and then it goes down hill. The RemOil is burning off and the carrier is slowing down. The very first thing I would try is a good cleaning and apply liberal amounts of a quality lube. I personally use Slip 2000 EWL on my gas guns. There are lots of lubes out that are better than RemOil and CLP.

Ken

Had the exact same problem with my AR-10T, tried all kinds of at home remedies but nothing worked and sent it back to Armalite. Came back and never jammed since, but groups opened up to 1.5moa from .5moa...

I received a laundry list of work done and parts replaced by Armalite but think that it might have had something to do with the barrel extension and bolt head clearances if not thhe chamber. I tried all kinds of oils, reindexed the gas block, filed and finally Cut the gas ring to lessen the tension, went to a lighter buffer spring, pulled the gas tube and sealed it to the gas block using Rock-set, etc.... (the thread might be in the archives if someone knows how to search for it...)

Its got a lifetime guarantee. Have you contacted Armalite? I've had very little reason to contact them but when I did, they were always very good to deal with. First rate.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwcpls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first four or five shots eject strong. About 4 feet and slightly back. Then the brass don't eject as far for about two shots then the short stroking starts. </div></div>

So you shoot 4-5 just fine and then it starts to burp? Once it starts to burp, what cures it?

Cleaning and more oil stops it for a few shots. Gonna try a different lube this weekend. Probably gonna contact armalite if that doesn't do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwcpls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cleaning and more oil stops it for a few shots. Gonna try a different lube this weekend. Probably gonna contact armalite if that doesn't do it </div></div>I still stick to my advice about lubing it as Ken Darnell advised as well. I don't have any experience with Rem Oil, but I do know AR10's like to be run wet. If as you say, it is an unmodified, out of the box rifle, it needs to be broken in and lubricated liberally. Your report that re applying lube gets it running again more so reinforces that theory.

Although it is possible there could be a factory defect, as nothing is 100%, I would look to the simplest and easiest solution first before analyzing more complex causes and start taking apart gas blocks, buffers, etc.

I agree with you, that if it seems to require more than just lube, just let Armalite handle it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sc0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had the exact same problem with my AR-10T, tried all kinds of at home remedies but nothing worked and sent it back to Armalite. Came back and never jammed since, but groups opened up to 1.5moa from .5moa...</div></div>What kind of work did Armalite do that would cause the grouping to change?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwcpls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cleaning and more oil stops it for a few shots. Gonna try a different lube this weekend. Probably gonna contact armalite if that doesn't do it </div></div>

Could be the oil type. Do you live in a frozen northern state? I seem to remember a post where a guy with an AR15 had a similar problem, switching from grease to CLP cured it.

I live in NC but it has been cold. Will keep u posted on how the gun runs with a different lube. Thanks to all for the advice.

Degrease and clean the BCG and upper thoroughly. Do the same for the buffer, buffer tube and spring. Lube the BCG with CLP until dripping wet. Use a high quality grease on the bearing surfaces of the buffer and spring. Reassemble and shoot the heck out of your AR-10. When BCG begins to look like it not wet, lube it again with CLP. After 200 rounds your should be okay.

AR10s aren't *that* sensitive to lube. You have a mechanical problem going on. Check the gas key and make sure it's tight. Make sure your gas tube isn't leaking somewhere and that it seats into the gas key correctly. If you don't find anything, send it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwcpls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cleaning and more oil stops it for a few shots. Gonna try a different lube this weekend. Probably gonna contact armalite if that doesn't do it </div></div>I still stick to my advice about lubing it as Ken Darnell advised as well. I don't have any experience with Rem Oil, but I do know AR10's like to be run wet. If as you say, it is an unmodified, out of the box rifle, it needs to be broken in and lubricated liberally. Your report that re applying lube gets it running again more so reinforces that theory.

Although it is possible there could be a factory defect, as nothing is 100%, I would look to the simplest and easiest solution first before analyzing more complex causes and start taking apart gas blocks, buffers, etc.

I agree with you, that if it seems to require more than just lube, just let Armalite handle it. </div></div>X2 again... a new AR10 can take several hundred rounds of cycling before it starts running smoothly and until then, it needs to run wet. Try some 10-30 Mobil One. It's what I use on all my AR's and works excellent.