• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with my first 5k - Updated 10/31

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
Well, I just about got up to running 5k last night. I hit 3.05 miles on my run and apparently 3.1 is a 5k, so I think I'm going to sign up for our city's October race. I've been jogging since around the end of May and I'm building up my endurance and cardio strength. I'm going to be doing some lunges and squats while I'm sitting here at work to help with some leg strength. I'm also going to be giving that 9 innings thing a try that was posted in another thread here; that looks killer for cardio.

Does anyone who enjoys running things like that have any tips for an aspiring runner? I was able to keep an average pace of 5mph last night, and unfortunately I had to walk from 2.5-2.8 miles. I picked up the last 2/10ths of a mile running again. My total time was 36:30. I want by the end of October to be running under 30 easy, and would like to train hard enough to make a 25:00 5k between now and October 28. I have the ability, I just need to build the endurance and speed up.

I can run a mile under 8:00 now, and I'm going to be pushing to see if I can get under 7:30 tonight. My best time so far has been 7:37, but I know I can do better. Tia for the tips!

Re: Training for my first 5k

You need to start doing speed workouts. If you can run/jog for 36 min then you have more than enough endurance for a 5k. I'm not sure where you live or if you have a track available but if you do i'd recommend working in a few speed workouts a week.

Try starting with 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 400m, 200m, 100m sprints with some time to catch your breath in between. Distance wise this is a short but you should be really tired by the end. Obviously you will not be able to sprint 100% on the 400 and 800m portions but you should be running much faster than your race pace. On the 100m portions you should be at 100% and hopefully after a few weeks you'll be at 100% for the 200m portions too.

You need to work in one long run a week too. Anything over 6mi is overkill for a 5k. 4-5mi is about right and these do not have to be at race pace. Long runs can help recovery after a speed workout and I'm a firm believer of using them as such. A fast long run at least once every 2 weeks really helps as well.

Hills are also an awesome workout. Find one and have some fun.

Running is like anything else you have to do it to get better. As long as you push your self you'll get faster. That is probably more important than anything.

Oh and learn to pace yourself in a race. Doing this will make or break you. For example: If you run your first mile in 8:00, your second in 9:00 and your last in 13:00 you probably killed your time by a min or two by starting out too fast. When I was in shape I could run a 5:00 mi fairly easily but in a 5k race I'd usually run a 5:30-5:45 for the first, a 5:45-6:00 for the second, and then pick back up to a 5:45-6:00 for the last. All 3 miles should be about the same pace during a race.

I'm actually really jealous of you. I had hip surgery 3 months ago and am finally getting back into running. I'll never claim to be a fast runner but i love to run. I've run 17min 5k's and was training for a marathon before i got injured. I'm hopeing to run a half marathon in Feb.

Re: "Training" for my first 5k

Thanks guys. Jammyband, stretching is a part of my routine. I usually spend at least 2-3 minutes just stretching out before running a straight mile. If I'm sprinting or planning on going further than 1 mile I'll make a warm up jogging lap around our yard, which is 1/10th of a mile, and then stretch out for 5 minutes or so before taking off.

Stork, I'll try the 100-800 and back progression and see how I do. There are plenty of hills that I run on, from dips and bumps up to a nice 14 degree slope that runs about 100 yards. Pacing is something I'm definitely working on, so thanks for the guidelines! I don't have an interest in running a marathon, but I think it would be fun to be able to do about 10 miles every other weekend or so.

Also, I've gone ahead and signed up/paid the fee to run in October. I have a set goal and a drive behind me now. TIA for any more tips y'all!

Spazz the 5K training program on that website copdoc posted looks good. If you can follow something like that you'd be well on your way to a good runtime. Most 5k programs are similar to that one. Check out multiple programs to get ideas for new workouts since the same run week after week gets old.

Oh and increase your warmup distance. 1/10th of a mile is not long enough to get warmed up. If you are going to use running as your warm up you should do at least half a mile. I like mine to be slow enough that I can talk normally while running. You should warm up before each and every run you do.

As already stated stretching is really important. I like to quickly stretch after my warmup which is usually almost a mile. Then when I get back from the workout I do a very slow cool down run and spend almost 15 min stretching.

Thanks, I'll step up my warm-up. Since I haven't had a problem with cramps or strains (just sore muscles the day after if I've pushed harder than usual) I haven't thought that my warm-up distance/routine was lacking. I'm always listening to people with more experience than myself though, so thank you for the tips!

I neglected to mention that I always stretch afterwards; I guess that's a part of my "warm-down" but it's always there. I'll check out the Furman website, thanks for that!

Re: Help with my first 5k

One good thing I seem to have done since I picked up running a couple months ago is I've only run forefoot style. I've been running only in my Vibram KSOs or barefoot if I'm only running a mile or so. I think my technique is okay from everything I've read and watched on forefoot running and the pose method. I ran a full 5 kilometers at a steady pace on Saturday and my calves are still a little sore this morning. Apparently I have a way to go before my muscles are caught up with my drive. I'll get it though. Thanks everyone for the tips, and if you have any workouts or other tips, I definitely welcome them. You guys rock.

Spazz,

Thanks for the push I just signed up for my first 5k today after reading this thread. Now I'm counting down to September 24th.

A couple of things to consider/watch out for...

You are going to be in the midst of a large group of people all moving the same direction - avoid the mob mentality or race mentality that you feel you have to keep up with the big dogs. If you get caught up in that mindset, you will be gassed by the first mile split. One way to avoid this - start in the back third of the pack. Once you hit your pace, you will be passing more people than are passing you.

Unless you are in the desert (not one in KY that I know of) water breaks in a 5K are almost worthless. If you have hydrated well before the race, you should not need to drink during a 5K. Water stations are good for slowing your time or getting a cup to pour on your head if you are hot. Otherwise, use that opportunity to pass some guy you've been following but not gaining on enough to pass without gassing.

Worried about pain and losing focus? There are always a few really good looking chicks with tight little butts in a 5K race. Find one that is running at a pace you like and get behind her (5-10 yards so you aren't a stalker). Watch her butt as you run and you will forget about the pain. The crowd noise at the finish line should be enough to snap you out of the hypnotic effect of alternatively bouncing butt cheeks so you can kick through the finish.

5K's are a lot of fun and a great social experience as much as an athletic workout. The T-shirt collection you will amass is worth the entry fees.

Enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are always a few really good looking chicks with tight little butts in a 5K race. Find one that is running at a pace you like and get behind her (5-10 yards so you aren't a stalker). Watch her butt as you run and you will forget about the pain. </div></div>

Hmmm...maybe I should enter a race too LOL.

OP - learn your pace, find your pace, use your pace, don't F-up your pace.

strength and conditioning this kind of thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ0rFDonOuM

followed by 5k run, one foot in front of the other
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Way to go, man! Do you or have you done much running already?</div></div>

I run a mile five times a week before I lift weights. My personal best mile is 6:52 and I ran a mile and a half last night in just under 10 minutes. I plan to back my run down to 3 days, walk an hour on my off days, and add a quarter mile per week to my run. This schedule will put me at 5k three weeks before race day. I don't plan to win or anything I just want to make a good showing for myself.

P.S.
I was so excited last night I pushed my squat max to 405 lbs. I'm super pumped since I weigh 180 lbs.

Thank you all for the tips and strategies you've listed. I still have almost 2 months until the 5k (October 28 if you're counting) and due in part to some of the routines and tips here, I've managed to take my time from 36:30 in July to 26:06 last night. Again, if you're counting that's over 10 minutes trimmed off in a month and a half.

I'm warming up with about 2/3 mile jog before stretching out. Then I go at least 5k (usually a little over, sometimes up to about 8k) at pace. Afterwards I walk for a 10th of a mile or a little more and stretch out really well before hitting the shower. I've also been throwing in sprints for up to 30 seconds every half mile or so to keep pushing my cardio, in addition to some of the other sprint training listed above here on days that I just don't feel like running a full 5k.

In short, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the tips and the encouragements, and after I kick the 5k's ass in October I'll let you know how I did. Thanks again!

Fantastic work! Keep it up and let us know how you did once you have that first 5k in the books!

Trimming 10 min in a month and a half is pretty impressive.

You seem to have a good routine down now, so keep at it and you will probably drop a few more min before your race.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
......Worried about pain and losing focus? There are always a few really good looking chicks with tight little butts in a 5K race. Find one that is running at a pace you like and get behind her (5-10 yards so you aren't a stalker). Watch her butt as you run and you will forget about the pain. The crowd noise at the finish line should be enough to snap you out of the hypnotic effect of alternatively bouncing butt cheeks so you can kick through the finish......

Enjoy. </div></div>

I ran my first 5K today at the Lake Tahoe Marathon. I was really looking forward to trying this out. My problem was that I am too slow. All I could keep in my view was some overweight old dude that I just couldn't catch.
crazy.gif

I've only been running for two months. I'll keep at it so I can try to keep up with something better to look at.
grin.gif

Re: Help with my first 5k - Updated 9/9

Wow...chopping 10 minutes off your 5k time is awesome! Just remember not to over do your training/running if you are getting into running for the long haul!!! An injury can happen quickly from overuse or going too fast, and they can take a while to recover from. Also, remember that rest days can be as productive (or more) as running days.

May you have many happy years of running ahead of you...
cool.gif

Re: Help with my first 5k - Updated 10/31

I ended up running 25:59 Friday night, so I'm pretty happy with that time. I slacked off on training the last couple of weeks; the weather's turned a little nasty and it's been difficult for me to find the motivation to run in the cold rain.

Overall, I had a great time and it's definitely something I'm going to do more of. It was a fun experience and I got a silly t-shirt, and I have a new goal to work toward. I came in 275/1777 overall and 24/53 in my age group (male 25-29). Thanks to y'all here who shared tips and knowledge with me, and for the inspiration! Take care.

Congrats! Are you planning on another one soon? There are usually Thanksgiving morning fun runs all over the place. Those are usually my favorite, minus the cold haha. But now that Im down in Nevada it might not be as bad as WA.

My .02 for anyone who wants to really see times drop, is hydrate. Even if you warm up properly, eat right, have good shoes, etc.. all that is nullified if you are dehydrated. Its a little and (generally) *FREE* investment for a significant gain.

Godspeed guys!

There's usually a November 5k here in town put on by Buffalo Trace - I'm gonna see if they're doing that this year. I am intending to run more as I find them around here.

Excellent tip about the hydration - I stay hydrated as much as I can (usually about 2.5 liters per day). When I know I'm going to be exercising (or, say, running a 5k) I pay special attention to my water consumption and make sure to keep a good level going up to and after activities.

Ya I was going through a ton of water when I was running 8K in College. Its amazing the difference it makes.

For the spring, I highly recommend the Triple Crown of Running in Louisville...

Anthem 5K
Rodes City 10K
Papa Johns 10M

Each race is 2 weeks apart, starting in late Feb/early March, and it is fantastic training to prep for the Louisville Derby Festival Mini-Marathon.

The Bluegrass 10,000 in Lexington over July 4th is also a very fun race.