• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with my new Remington 700 ADL varmint build

El Dirtbag

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2014
plus.google.com
Hello everyone, I am brand new to this forum and to the long range community. I have select few friends that are distance shooters and figured I would join along, for it is a passion I have always aspired to excel in. I recently purchased a Remington 700 ADL varmint .308 rifle, 26" barrel 1:12 twist for $450.00. I was not sure if it was the best price, but I was too eager to begin. I ordered a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP and am soon to meet its arrival. I got the scope for rather cheap, around $600.00, from a friend. The stock on my rifle is just the standard black hogue I believe? I plan to hunt with this rifle at ranges from 100-400( yes, I know not very far.), but I want to punch paper targets at ranges exceeding 600-up. My goal is to hit a 15" target at 1k yards. I have been lurking around for sometime and reading up on what I need, but would like a better definition as to what I need for my specific model.

Budget range: stock $400.00-$600.00, trigger no idea, etc.
I am asking for some guidance as to what specific loads I should go with. What stocks are good for my budget range. I have looked at a few types and am very fond of the Mcmillian A5. I am going for a M40 look that is fully bedded and will do the job with precision.

I would also like a new knob on my bolt.. I've considered asking a friend to mil mine and getting the Badger Ordnance bolt knob, but please feel free to throw stuff out there. I already have a Harris bipod. I know I need to get a new trigger, but that will be one of the last things I will purchase.

Also hint me towards some good scope rings and a base that are budget.

I don't need any tactical cool stuff! I want to drop deer and plink steel!

Thank you for your time,
Dj.veneman

Last edited:
Break break! I also forgot to ask what kind of scope rings I should consider along with the base. Keep it in budget please!
Thank you, Dj.veneman

Help with my new Remington 700 ADL varmint build

Yes, the rifle is a .308. I am located out of Minnesota.

Last edited:
IMG_20140708_200412214_HDR.jpg

I bought factory .308 Remington 700 SPS Varmint. Rebuilt it. Highly recommend going with the McMillan A5 for stock. I got mine here off the hide for $600.00 ...For a practical hunting/long range rifle for me, I went with a SWFA SS 10X42 ... Purchased Seekins 30mm low (.82 in.) scope rings for $120.00 and EGW Remington 700 Picatinny Tactical short action 20 MOA scope rail mount for $32.00 ... Also bought used bi-pod off here as well for $100.00 ... When I first bought the rifle, I didn't mind the heaviness of the trigger pull, which was somewhere between 5-6 pounds... I was considering buying a new trigger but found that you can adjust it. It is now adjusted to 2.5-3 pounds. Huge difference and money saver at this time. I reload using Sierra 168gr. HPBT Matchking and Hodgdon Varget... I shot different charges of it to see which shot the best group and 45gr. of the Varget was best fit for my rifle. Not sure if any of this helps, but wanted to share the love of my gun and how proud I am to own it. Good luck, welcome to the hide, and happy shooting!

Thank you Caycee Oakley, do you know if the trigger in my rifle is adjustable and how far have you been able to reach out with your build? Your rifle looks gorgeous and is making me all the more eager to complete mine.

Should be no different in your rifle than what mine is. It hasn't been that long since I've rebuilt mine so the furthest I have stretched her out was 340 yds. I plan to shoot up to 600 yds in the near future though at a range. I'm competing in a tactical shooting comp next month and will be shooting 600+ yds there. It can shoot that far though no problem with the right load. I understand that feeling of eagerness as well. All along the way, the more I added, the better she not only looked, but shot.

What was your reason for picking EGW for your 20 Moa base? I've been reading up on them, but can't seem to find much. Nor can I find much about other scope bases. Of course I want to get a cheap one that works great.

Well, mainly because of the price and reviews. I had made a thread on here looking for a 20 MOA rail. A guy directed me to a reasonably priced website and gave me a discount code to use for it as well. The EGW had good reviews, had a good price and I was willing to try it. It's a good durable rail and looks good as well.

I am using a Weaver 20 MOA rail and Weaver 6 screw tactical rings...no issues thus far and I have ~80.00 total invested.
I shot at a practice day last weekend and was able to get to 700 yds with my 308 without any issue other than I had added windage I didn't know about when I did it and was fighting wind that wasn't there.

I prefer HS Precision stocks and take-offs appear here on a regular basis. Next time I upgrade glass I will go with the new Burris XTR II.

I asked where you are located as I am a big believer in using someone local if there is a reputable smith in the area. First off you can drop and pick up without the hassle of shipping and 2, unless you are a real big PITA they will usually let you set in on your build.

Last edited:
I am using a Weaver 20 MOA rail and Weaver 6 screw tactical rings...no issues thus far and I have ~80.00 total invested.
I shot at a practice day last weekend and was able to get to 700 yds with my 308 without any issue other than I had added windage I didn't know about when I did it and was fighting wind that wasn't there.

I prefer HS Precision stocks and take-offs appear here on a regular basis. Next time I upgrade glass I will go with the new Burris XTR II.

I asked where you are located as I am a big believer in using someone local if there is a reputable smith in the area. First off you can drop and pick up without the hassle of shipping and 2, unless you are a real big PITA they will usually let you set in on your build.

Beautiful gun mate