• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with my next choice.....HELP!!!!

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
I am looking to get a new toy and I need help. I am looking at getting a 7mm WSM or a 300 WSM. I am not real knowledgable on these two rounds.
What would be your choice? What are the PROS and CONS to each, in your opinion? I am looking at heavy barrelled guns.

Thanks
Dan

Re: Help with my next choice.....HELP!!!!

What are you wanting to do with the new rifle? Comps, paper punching, or hunting?

Unless you have a large supply of .30 cal bullets, there is no reason to pick 300WSM over 7WSM. The 7WSM will outperform the 300 in every way.

I am going to be shooting Comps, paper punching and hunting. I have 30-06s and 308s, but I have a 7mm Rem Mag so I can use both. I will be selling the 7mm REM Mag and one of the 30-06s. I will be reloading for all my guns, so the bullet stock is not an issue.

Which one has the least recoil? I see that the ballistics are real close so that is why I am having a hard time deciding.

Preformance wise I think that the 7mm WSM will be better 300, 400, and higher.

I would like to here some stories for each being used.

Thanks
Dan

The 7wsm is better in everyway. I us a 300wsm in my hunting aplications. I have taken big animals at over 600 yards. I shoot 168gr tipped triple shock fo hunting. it has served me well. bottom line you can not go wrong with either, but if you are looking for numbers then it goes to 7wsm

Is there a factory 7mm WSM heavy barreled gun made or do I have to go with a after-market barrel? I know that Savage has a Heavy barreled in a 300 WSM. What factory gun would you go with? I mainly shoot Savage Arms but I am open to change.