• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Help with new hunting/shooting tripod

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
I need help choosing a new tripod, I have an aluminum bog with a ballhead. I’ve never tried doing any precision shooting off it it’s mainly for coyote hunting or putting my garmin xero on or whatever else, but I would like to learn to shoot better off one. Also I’ll never compete in any way, with what I do for work and kids there’s less then no time.

I’ve looked at about every offering and I’m not sure what legs and head are right for me, I have no problem spending good money on good stuff but I’m not convinced I need RRS legs, maybe an anvil 30 if I can find one since I’ll mainly be shooting off it. I’d like something reasonably light and short when collapsed but don’t mind a little extra weight if there’s a noticeable increase in stability and 3 leg is more appealing then 4 even tho it’s a little longer. Also I’m 5’6” so I don’t need anything super tall.

At some point I’ll get a thermal scanner but usually hunt with at least one other guy so we both scan different directions with our rifles on their respective tripods which works fine. How much will it suck doing this with an anvil 30? I like to practice how I hunt so I’d probably get into practicing shooting steel at distance with various rifles off this, one heavy range only rifle and various hunting rifles moderately light to very light.

I’ve read every thread I can find on the subject the last few days and still have questions. One thing I don’t want from researching is the head to attach directly with a 3/8 screw since they want to loosen when panning. What should I consider?

I went through several iterations of the just as good tripods. Finally just bought a RRS with Anvil 30 head and couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: rmfield
Anyone with specific recommendations for tripod and head for my uses?

Highly recommend the Anvil 30. I have been satisfied with my Leofoto LS-364C, but you'd likely want to pick up an adapter for the Anvil 30 to prevent the loosening concern you mentioned. The adapter is the RRS TA-2-APF, if you get that Leofoto or any tripod with a similar sized apex.

I recently also picked up a Two Vets QDT V2 LS I, it's more stable, deploys (very slightly) faster, and has leg locks that stay up out of the mud. It's also 2-3x as much as you would pay for the Leofoto I mentioned, weighs more, and doesn't pack down as small. Stability difference was about 0.2 mil wobble on the Leofoto vs 0.1 mil on the Two Vets. I think the Leofoto is fine for your needs, and there are plenty of similar options out there.

Reactions: Jnull
Highly recommend the Anvil 30. I have been satisfied with my Leofoto LS-364C, but you'd likely want to pick up an adapter for the Anvil 30 to prevent the loosening concern you mentioned. The adapter is the RRS TA-2-APF, if you get that Leofoto or any tripod with a similar sized apex.

I recently also picked up a Two Vets QDT V2 LS I, it's more stable, deploys (very slightly) faster, and has leg locks that stay up out of the mud. It's also 2-3x as much as you would pay for the Leofoto I mentioned, weighs more, and doesn't pack down as small. Stability difference was about 0.2 mil wobble on the Leofoto vs 0.1 mil on the Two Vets. I think the Leofoto is fine for your needs, and there are plenty of similar options out there.

Good info, thank you.

The only 2 vets I’d run is probably the kit due to weight but I’d imagine it isn’t as sturdy as their other heavier offerings