• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help with new stock

Pok

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
PA
I just received my new Manners MCS-GAT stock today. I have a Surgeon bottom metal, and a Remington 700 SPSv .308.

My barreled action doesnt fit into the stock. I think the slot for the recoil lug is too far foward toward the muzzle end. I would like to know what is the most important pieces to align before I try to inlet the stock. I assume that the action screws must line up with the bottom metal in the center of the pillar holes in the stock. I also believe that I must line up the ejection port and bolt with the respective slots. I think I can do these things if I were to cut the lug slot farther back toward the mag well. If this is so, should I cut it to fit perfectly on the back side of the lug? Or should I cut it farther toward the mag well to make room for bedding compound.

I also need to seat the pillars. I have pillars from Manners that are long and need to be cut (they fit the holes). I have pillars from Surgeon that look to be perfect length, but are slightly fatter than the stock holes. Should I cut the long ones or drill the holes out for the fat ones. Do the pillars rest in the holes from friction alone, or do they get epoxied into the stock, possible when the bottom metal gets bedded?

I could send this work out, as I have never done it before, but im low on funds now. I am mechanically adept, so Im trying to save money. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

Re: Help with new stock

Did you order a stock for a Surgeon? I'm surprised it doesn't fit.

To hit on a couple of your questions, you won't be able to cut it back perfectly so go a little extra and then bed the lug for tight fit. Use the Surgeon pillars, they need to be that length to insure the mags feed right, you could cut the Manners pillars to match them if you wanted to but opening up the stocks holes a bit would be easier. You'll want to epoxy the pillars in when you bed the rifle (and bottom metal if you choose to).

First though....call Tom Manners....he's a nice guy and very helpful. Ask him why the action won't fit and what path to take, but also ask him what he'd charge if you sent the stock, metal and barreled action back to him to have it fit and bedded by him. I'd bet he's pretty reasonable.

All that being said....Dremels are fun and bedding is a fun process, there's a lot to be said for screwing it up yourself
laugh.gif

I ordered the stock for a .308 Rem 700 with Surgeon bottom metal. Everything seems perfect except for the lug. I have a camping trip upcoming, and I want to have it finished to take with me, so Id like to do it myself rather than wait. I have a call into Tom, hes out for a cpl of days I think. Im not happy that its not perfect, but my world isnt going to end as long as I can make it so.

jasonk is right on with his recommendations.

We had this happen once before. A C code action didnt fit the lug. 99.9% of all others of same era fit. I dont know what date codes are different or what the exact difference is. Our test fit action is a C. The customers was a C. The lug spacing was different.
confused.gif

If you decide to send it in, I can make sure it gets trimmed out and shipped the next day.

If your timeframe allows, we can also arrange pillar install and bedding.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We will do whatever we can to help.