• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help with older Randall Model 1-8

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
I have my grandpa's Randall model 1-8 in a HH Heiser sheath. He was in the service from 46-77. I was hoping to figure out a little more information about it. The sheath is missing a snap and the stone is gone. The blade is in ok shape. Would it be bad to clean it up and use it as a camping/pack knife or better to keep as is? If better to keep it as is I would likely have a shadowbox made for it and his 1911.

Screenshot_20201008-205733_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201008-205735_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201008-205739_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201008-205748_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201008-205743_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201008-205800_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201008-205752_Gallery.jpg

Damn--Damn--and Double Damn. That is one of the coolest pieces of memorabilia ever. Then to boot, you have his 1911. I have no idea what kind of records Randall has available but that would be my first stop. It's evident that your grandads knife has his name on it and if they have records that might help them identify it along with the configuration of the knife. The edge geometry seems to to be completely intact and the point looks to have had little to no damage.

My suggestion is that you do nothing to "bring back" the knife. It appears to be in absolutely usable condition. I would not alter or recondition the sheath. Ask Randall to make you a new sheath in the same pattern and use it. The oxidization (green) on the hilt can be cleaned up with nothing more than rubbing with a soft cotton cloth. I would suggest that you leave the patina intact. If you have your grandads DD214 it may lead you to the units that he served with, where, when, awards etc. If it is not available to you, you can request one. There are some Korean war vets and plenty of Vietnam war vets still around that might provide information re: his service.

Concerning his 1911, if you are familiar with them check it for any of the typical failure and wear points. Replace the recoil spring. and use and enjoy it too. If you're not a 1911 guy take it to an acknowledged mechanic to have it vetted.

You have two pieces of US history, military history but most importantly family history.

Reactions: camocorvette
Don’t touch that knife except to oil it. Even the sheath is cool!

The verdigris on the pommel will wipe off, but do not use brasso so or anything to polish. To keep it from going verdigris again. Store out if sheath or in sheath with vapor paper wrapped around it.

There are colllectirs who would murder infants in their sleep for that knife! Don’t ever part with it!

Sirhr

PM me if you want contact info for Jason Randall direct.

Honestly, I don’t think it needs a refurb. Wipe down and light oil. The condition on that is incredible. A refurb just wipes away history.

What I would do is order an identical one to carry and use. My buddy Jim did that. He has a similar one to yours, though a wartime “Springfield Randall” of which 1200 or so were made. His mom got it for his dad in 1943 when he graduated engineer officers school with the USA. He carried from Normandy to Germany with Pattons 3rd.... silver star for building a bridge under fire.

When Jim graduated the Q-course in 1974, he got the knife and carried it for 40 years in SF and in post SF Career. In 2015, me and a bunch of friends went to visit Randall in Orlando and Jim brought the knife. There were a couple of collectors in the store who just about trampled each other to see it and hear the story and get selfies with it.

69EF2745-47B2-43B3-AEDC-AB61865A5760.jpeg

By the end of the trip, Jason had given us a tour of the (as yet unopened) museum. All of us had ordered identical knives stamped ORC (sorry, they one is a secret) and Jason had come out to hang with us at the hotel.

Those old Randall’s are priceless!! In that condition and with that provenance... more priceless! Get a new user... and treasure that one!

Cheers, Sirhr

Last edited:
He was field artillery and he said he just caught the very end of ww2, went on to serve in Korea, and Vietnam. After he was stationed at the pentagon and got into competition shooting (hardball?). So he had the armory refirbish his 45 and added adjustable sights at that time. It is a Union Switch and Signal.

He was field artillery and he said he just caught the very end of ww2, went on to serve in Korea, and Vietnam. After he was stationed at the pentagon and got into competition shooting (hardball?). So he had the armory refirbish his 45 and added adjustable sights at that time. It is a Union Switch and Signal.
Just gets better and better... of 2.5 million or so 1911s the USG bought... 55k were US&S. If the sights were added by an armorer in the usg and you have documentation... and it was used in competition by a soldier... and you have records.... that is a $10k pistol to take care of there! Of course it’s value to your family is a lot more than that!!!

Your grandpa was awesome! Family treasures, indeed!

Sirhr

Last edited:
I got my first Randall in 87 when I was in the Persian Gulf. I hope it’s a family heirloom like that one is one day. Very cool history right there.

Reactions: Sandhog308
That was him. My grampa just passed at 94. I dont think we missed a gun show or gun shop from when I was 17 until he couldn't make it out of the house. He had bad feet so a stride for him was half a foot. But he would do the shuffle step and he set a good pace for looking.

jbuck88, I looked up J.Heiser of Denver CO. In collecting and research the best advice is "never say never" but the Heiser history of maker's marks indicates that mark was used until 1955. Does anyone know when the 1-8 was first produced?

Last edited:
What a treasure, my friend. I have collected Randall knives since the mid 80’s. As others have said, a Randall with this history could be extremely valuable to a collector. It really depends on how you what to remember your grandfather. I would be inclined to carry, and use, the knife in his memory, but that’s just me. It could be very valuable to you in these difficult days. I agree that a call to Randall could provide some really useful information. The first time I called Randall, Bo Randall answered the phone and shipped me a Bird and Trout knife. Now it’s a five year wait!

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Keep it as is. That is one for a shadow box with the history. Keep the blade oiled. Do not store it in the sheath. I would collect all documentation I would find and have it displayed in the box.

That's a cool piece of family history.