• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help with Pending US Optics SN-3 Order .........

map_it

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
A couple of last options I do not know if I need.....

The application is a Do-it all rifle Lefthanded Bolt with a 22" barrel built by GAP. I would like to begin to shoot matches and take deer hunting on occassion.....

If I'm shooting a .308 out of a 22" Bolt gun will the EREK give me enough to get to 1,000 yards?
Do you need the 34mm tube and the EREK?

Is the Milestone EREK with the heavier click every Mill worth the upgrade from $175 to $300? During a match does this lend itself to a faster dialing process? Don't think I would ever need to shoot at night and I think that is really the application for the Milestone EREK but I really don't want to have a buy another scope....so I'm trying to get everything right on this build.

Of you guys out there that have had all of the reticles is the Mil MPR the best to mil with?

I'm torn between the Mil MPR and the Mil GAP in the 3.2-17 Scope?
I think the MPR will offer itself better for the milling process but how often are you guys milling a target during a competition?
How much less cluttered is the Mil GAP for faster shots?

I realize the TAPL is a little more finicky than the ERGO from what I've read but I think I'm leaning toward the TAPL as I plan to set it up for a left handed bolt with the windage on the left side of the scope body and the paralex adjustment on the right.
Does anyone see any issues with this set-up?
(I'm new at the whole competition thing and really don't know what is needed)

Any insight would be much apprecited as I plan to order in the not so distance future....

Thanks,

Re: Help with Pending US Optics SN-3 Order .........

i have a 5-25X58 tpal with an EREK and i love it. i have a .308 as well i use a 35moa base and i zero at 100 and have more than enough adjustment for 1000 and over. i shot 1000 yrds last weekend and only had to dial 10.2 mils of elevation.
i have a 35MM tube.

i would get a hold of lazy21 here on the site. he is a dealer for us optics and a great guy to do business with.

thank you
joe

Yes I've been talking to Lazy21.........

ERGO or TPAL is a personal preference thing.

I now have only ERGO scopes because I tend to mess with the TPALs constantly. My arms are long, and for me the ERGO is OK.

Either way works good, so get what YOU prefer.

Best thing about USO is you can order it the way YOU want it.

If you want an ERGO, call and ask about a left-side windage, right side illumination and ERGO, and see what they say.

I'm using 20MOA bases with SN-3 3.2-17s, and 25MOA (Near) with SN-3 3.8-22s. Mostly 34mm tubes.

If you decide on a 35mm tube, you can get rings from Seekins or USO.

Thanks for the comments.

The biggest reason I want the windage on the left is as I carry the gun with the sling on the two side flush cups on the right side of the rifle I'm afraid the capped #1 Windage Knob will forever be sticking me in the back.

I asked and USO can install the windage on the left it is just do I want a ERGO or TPAL??? I kind of like the ability to adjust the parralex while in the prone position with my non-trigger hand.

But for you seasoned guys out there this might not be a big deal??

I talked to the guys at USO and they said the only difference between 34mm and 35mm is the OD, the ID is the same. You have a lot more ring options with 34mm than with 35mm if that matters at all.

What's cool about the ERGO is it's not finicky and you can kind of set and forget it. T-PAL needs to be adjusted when you change distance. So if you have the time to adjust eveything, T-Pal would work. If you are changing distances and doing hold overs then ERGO would probably be better. I've set my ERGO at 150 yards and had no problems running 100 to 400 yards.

You may want a right hand setup, you can adjust the ERGO, windage and elevation with your right hand and see the adjustments with your right eye. Your left hand won't have to come out of position then. I have a left hand windage setup and I'm right handed, works great for me. If you have an illuminated setup you can reach over, hit the power button and adjust it as needed. This works since your left eye will tell you how bright you need it instead of needing to see adjustment settings like windage or elevation.

So I spoke with Becky at USO yesterday and I'm leaning towards the TPAL as after discussing all of the options the Parralex can go on the right with the windage and illumination on the left.

I just think have the parralex on the body and not the objective would be easier to adjust and coming from a MarkIV I don't think I could tell the difference....

I think the majority of guys out there hold for windage with the reticle so I don't think the windage on the left will be a big deal.

Speaking to the USO guys it seems the MPR is a revised GAP reticle and would len its self better for milling targets....

Now Blue, Green or Red??..... The Blue reticle phot on the US Opticsw website sure is appealing ....

Thanks for the comments......

I have the Blue reticle and love it. However I really love my ERGO. The extra lense required for the T-pal just adds one more lense to have extra imperfections which isn't going to be quite as clear. Really my USOs are clear enough it probably wouldn't make a bit of difference but I'm always going to side on less moving parts and chance for imperfections.

JMO

Good luck,
Merritt

red is gap and blue is MPR(as you can see, I'm not the best @ taking pictures)

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

On the EREK I was told by USO for a .308 only 11-12 mils will get you to 1,000 yards and the re-positioning of the EREK knob allows you to bottom out the elevation and then re-position the whole reticle thus giving you 22 mils of adjustment minus the amount of mils you set below your 100 yard zero. I think this is done if you travel to a different area in the country so your zeros would be different due to the elevation and barameteric pressure??

So the 34mm and or 35mm is mostly for looks and if you already have a set of 34mm rings?

But I'm still learning and do not actually have a SN-3 yet so if I'm incorrect sorry guys maybe a more seasoned USO owner can straighten me out??...

Once agin thanks guys for all of the input and remarks it is much appreciated...

Lazy21 that Blue reticle has the making of a perascope in the Hunt for Red October man that thing so cool!!!!

A friend with the same USO scope as mine and built about the same time, but his is T-PAL, compared our scopes. His T-PAL is a little darker due to the extra lens. Not a huge difference, but you can see it.

I like the EREK knob since you can basically set it up for a zero stop. I find this more useful than anything.

As for the colour... up to you. Green and blue are perceived as light by the human eye so you'll lose some night vision. Red is not perceived as light so you lose little to no night vision with it.

you will be fine
I have a SN3 3.2-17, fatnastic scope

my 20" 308 with a 30mm tube and +20 MOA base will get to 1K zeroed at 100 yards no problem pushing a 175 SMK at 2575