• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with Portable Steel Target Stand and Plates

Secant

Minuteman
  • Aug 11, 2019
    Out West
    www.snipershide.com
    I'm looking to get a portable target stand and a few quality plates to use at my local range. The steel used at that range is HUGE and half the time the setup is busted up in one way or another.

I'm looking for a stable stand that I can pull out of the bed of my truck and setup/takedown by myself in a pretty short time frame. I was leaning towards the Bravo 4 Actual setup, but wanted to see if there were other/better options out there. Thanks.

EDIT:
    I will have a relatively small amount of area to work with since I'll be utilizing existing berms at a 'public' range. I'm only looking to hang 1 plate at a time (maybe 2 at the most) - I am not looking for a larger plate rack.

Also, I'm not looking to build my own - just looking for a ready to go solution. I recognize that I could make something cheaper, just not interested in that right now.

Last edited:
    For some reason, their website is not working for me, but I love my Primeaux Targets stand. It’s a base and a reinforced shepherds hook that inserts into the base. From there I hang my full size 3/8” IPSC plate with no issues.

BB307E6E-874E-4716-B668-AA268A2D7402.jpeg

Make your own, the one I built took me 5 minutes to put together and is very lightweight. It also fits nicely on the bed of my truck and folds flat. I'll look for pictures and post them up shortly...

Reactions: Secant
    20200215_192434.jpg

For reference, the target is 12x12. No, I don't hang it like that, I use chains to let it hang freely and closer to the ground...

Thanks so far guys. I should clarify: I'm looking for a comparatively small footprint to hang 1 plate (2 at the most). I'm not looking for a larger plate rack since I will be setting up at an existing range with a minimal amount of available area at each berm.

I appreciate the "make your own" responses. I worked construction for a decade and think I'm relatively 'handy', and generally I would prefer to make my own and save a buck. But at this point in my life, I'm not looking for this to be another project. I'm fine with paying someone else that has a ready to go solution for this one.

Thanks again, keep 'em coming.

Check out www.actiontarget.com
    They have a good variety of portable stands and you should be able to piece together whatever configuration that works best for you.
    If you can’t find what you have in mind and want something specific I have a buddy that does welding/fabrication and can make one to whatever dimensions/standards you’d like.

Conduit set up works well. Only DIY necessary is to cut the conduit to make the legs / cross member to the size you want if you want to make a super lightweight/ small set up.

No affiliation with these guys, many others make something similar.
    Brackets

Then instead of chain, this works well with the conduit set up

Even most commercial products require some assembly. Its sort of a project either way. This is probably the simplest and cheapest.

I bought pre cut AR 500 plates and they hang from a wooden 2x4 saw horse. I had access to a used fire hose and cut a section and drilled it and the fire hose is excellent as it takes tons of splatter before starting to fray. Simple and lightweight and easy to assemble.

Was waiting for someone to recommend these. If you want a small footprint, ease of transport and low cost this is the way to go. T-post itself will cost about $4. I would recommend springing for a post driver to get them in.

And what about taking the T posts out? Seems like a pain if you are only temporarily setting up.

You might check out some A-Frame brackets from Steve at SVCWelds he has an Ebay store if Instagram isn’t your thing. Uses rebar for the legs with bolts that pinch it in place. You use whatever 2x4 size you want and hang a 10” or 12” plate with some conveyer belt.