• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help with possible Burris XTR Pro issue.

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I recently found a possible issue with my XTR pro’s. While checking tracking and level I noticed that my reticle stopped moving around 13 mils but the turret kept turning until 19.4 mils. I checked my other 2 Pros and they both did the same thing ranging from 13-14.7 of reticle movement but turrets continued to turn after reticle stopped to 19.2-20.5 mils.

I lifted the turrets to bypass the zero stops and had around 8-10 mil of travel below the zero stop and the reticle and turret both stopped at the same time. Which shows I don’t have the full 26 mils of travel as advertised.

Below is the response I received from Burris and the way I’m interpreting it they are saying it’s normal??? They are willing to check it out but don’t want to send it in if this is normal.

Thanks for everyone’s help with checking theirs.

Attachments

• 3C1B3B18-074A-4B2A-9132-5248752E0CDF.jpeg
    3C1B3B18-074A-4B2A-9132-5248752E0CDF.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 126
Were you starting from the factory optical center? Or are you bottoming it out & then counting MRAD running the elevation through full adjustment in the opposite direction? I may not fully understand how you adjusted...

Advertised 26mrad total elevation - 13mrad up, 13mrad down...
Except Burris ships the optic with optical center 20moa (6mrad) down (compensate for standard 20moa rail)

So it should ship like this: 13mrad - 6mrad = 7mrad usable "down" elevation, 19mrad usable "up" elevation for bullet drop @ range

I get you don't like not getting the full travel you thought you would, but Burris is telling you it is normal, so it is what it is.

I’m not overly worried about the overall travel, that was just a rambling side note I guess.

The main issue is that when dialing up with the turret, the reticle stops moving around 13mils but the turret continues to turn until around 19-20 mils.

An example, say my data says dial 14 mils. I can physically dial my turret to 14 but the reticle stopped moving at 13ish so now I shoot thinking my reticle dialed with the turret and I’m about 1 mil low because the reticle didn’t keep moving with the turret. Not having the reticle and turret stop together I don’t know when I need to start holding over to compensate unless I remember the 13ish mil stopping point instead of a hard stop

Hopefully that example helps explain. My turret will physically turn to 19-20 mils above my zero range but the reticle stops around 13. This happens with all 3 of my Pros. I checked my other scopes and all of them the turret and reticle stop moving at the same time.

Reactions: oso1
Were you starting from the factory optical center? Or are you bottoming it out & then counting MRAD running the elevation through full adjustment in the opposite direction? I may not fully understand how you adjusted...

Advertised 26mrad total elevation - 13mrad up, 13mrad down...
Except Burris ships the optic with optical center 20moa (6mrad) down (compensate for standard 20moa rail)

So it should ship like this: 13mrad - 6mrad = 7mrad usable "down" elevation, 19mrad usable "up" elevation for bullet drop @ range
I am counting from my rifles Zero. All 3 have 20moa rails but for some reason the Pro on my tikka has the most reticle travel up as well as the most turret movement. Its reticle stops at 14.7 up and turret stops at 20.5 up. The other 2 Pros both stop around 13 but turrets continue to 19.2 for one and 19.4 for another.

Oh, I see. Yeah that would bother me too - I bet my XTR3 does this, but I've only shot it to 800yd w/ a .308 (dial 8ish mrad)

Out of curiousity, using the Pro on your Tikka - your reticle stops at 14.7mrad "up" from zero, do you have 11.3mrad "down" from zero?

Edit - My XTR3 does not do this. The elevation turret & reticle both track "up" to 17.5mrad & then stop immediately.

Last edited:
I talked to Baron in PMs the other day and checked one of my Pros and it went up to 19 mils with the reticle moving and just got around to checking my other and it went to about 18 mils. The reticle didn't stop moving on 13 mils like his 3. I'd give Burris a call and see about sending one in to get checked out and see if they find anything.

@Birddog6424 you have any input on this?

Awesome, thanks Rob for chiming in on your 2nd one. Just looking for a few more data points. I reached out to bird dog as well yesterday and he was going to check his out.

I haven’t checked the below zero travel on the tikka one since it’s dialed in and didn’t want to possibly screw up my zero since it’s not looking like I will have time to verify before needing it next.

Reactions: Rob01
Oh, I see. Yeah that would bother me too - I bet my XTR3 does this, but I've only shot it to 800yd w/ a .308 (dial 8ish mrad)

Out of curiousity, using the Pro on your Tikka - your reticle stops at 14.7mrad "up" from zero, do you have 11.3mrad "down" from zero?
I checked my U.S.A. XTR3 3-18 and the reticle and turret stop at the same time.

Sounds like I got a few scopes with issues since both of Robs don’t do this. Going to send 1 of them in to get looked at and see what they come up with.

Please don’t take this as bashing Burris, I absolutely love these scopes! Admittedly if this was normal I would have to move to something else but sounds like I got a couple with issues.

I will try and follow up once I get the scope sent in and see what’s wrong.

Thanks guys

Reactions: R_A_W
My XTR3 does not do this. The elevation turret & reticle both track "up" to 17.5mrad & then stop immediately.

Ok, I have to eat crow. I’m a complete idiot. I re tested today and everything was fine. Not sure if it was because I was using an angled roof line next to my house or I wasn’t steady but no matter, today I locked the rifles into my tripod and used a barn roof around 1k yards out to accentuate the reticle movement and it moves the whole time on all my scopes.

Sorry for the waste of time guys. And thanks for the help.

Ok, I have to eat crow. I’m a complete idiot. I re tested today and everything was fine. Not sure if it was because I was using an angled roof line next to my house or I wasn’t steady but no matter, today I locked the rifles into my tripod and used a barn roof around 1k yards out to accentuate the reticle movement and it moves the whole time on all my scopes.

Sorry for the waste of time guys. And thanks for the help.

Glad it turned out to be nothing. That makes it much easier on you and you can have trust in the scopes.

Reactions: Baron85
Glad you got it figured out Baron. I did remember to look at mine yesterday. And I couldn't find anything wrong.

I have 22.2 mils of usable elevation with the Pro I had out yesterday. It's on my rimfire, and I used Burris Signature rings to squeeze out all the usable elevation. I have 3.1 mils of movement below zero, so 25.3 total in the scope.

I was hitting the 400 yard plate at the range yesterday dialing 22.2 and holding .2 high, which is exactly what my firing solution called for. So everything checked out.

Reactions: Baron85
I'm looking to pick up an XTR Pro and so far I like everything it has to offer at a great price point. I'd like to look through one before making a purchase. My question to you guys that own an XTR Pro regards the reticle. I heard from other people that the stadia on the reticle is too thin. It makes you have to increase the mag to discern the markings. I usually shoot my G2 on 15x out to 1K. I don't want to be at 20x to be able to read the stadia and loose even more field of view compared to the G2. I shoot mainly PRS. I have also being eyeballing the MK5. Opinions?

I have found the field of view on the Pro to be much better than my Mk5 and my Sig Tango6 5-30. Recently picked up a Zeiss S3 6-36 and was doing some comparison last weekend. Field of view was very comparabe on the Zeiss and the Pro at 20X, Both better than the Sig or Mk5. I feel confident that I can run either at 20X and get the same FOV that I used to work with at 15X on the other two. The reticle on the S3 is very nice to my eye. My Pro has the Tremor5 reticle and its easy to see. If you go with the Burris look at the SCR 2 1/4 reticle if you do not like the Tremor as some think it is too busy. Glass in the Pro and S3 are both very very nice.
Jerry V

Reactions: TEUFEL820
I have found the field of view on the Pro to be much better than my Mk5 and my Sig Tango6 5-30. Recently picked up a Zeiss S3 6-36 and was doing some comparison last weekend. Field of view was very comparabe on the Zeiss and the Pro at 20X, Both better than the Sig or Mk5. I feel confident that I can run either at 20X and get the same FOV that I used to work with at 15X on the other two. The reticle on the S3 is very nice to my eye. My Pro has the Tremor5 reticle and its easy to see. If you go with the Burris look at the SCR 2 1/4 reticle if you do not like the Tremor as some think it is too busy. Glass in the Pro and S3 are both very very nice.
Jerry V
I have also been checking out the S3 and it appears to be a nice option. I like the features the Pro has to offer. However, once I heard the reticle to be too fine I've grown hesitant about making the purchase.

In your opinion is the thickness of the reticle too thin compared to others like the S3, MK5 or Razor?

I'm sure the Tremor reticle is nice but I'm not sure I would fully take advantage of all the features it has. I'm still debating wether I want the SCR2 or 1/4 Mil. I think I'd prefer the SCR2 with the .2 increments instead of the .25

I have also been checking out the S3 and it appears to be a nice option. I like the features the Pro has to offer. However, once I heard the reticle to be too fine I've grown hesitant about making the purchase.

In your opinion is the thickness of the reticle too thin compared to others like the S3, MK5 or Razor?

I'm sure the Tremor reticle is nice but I'm not sure I would fully take advantage of all the features it has. I'm still debating wether I want the SCR2 or 1/4 Mil. I think I'd prefer the SCR2 with the .2 increments instead of the .25

No the reticle is not too thin on the Pro. That was a complaint on the original non illuminated XTRIII. The illuminated versions, including the Pro, are thicker and no issues using it on 12-16x as used mostly in PRS style matches. I have owned and used all you mentioned but the Mk5.

Some say the 1/4 mil is less cluttered but seeing as my data is not in 1/4 mil and I have used other reticles with .2 mil marks and don't find it cluttered I use the SCR-2 in my Pros and my Steiner T6Xi.

I may have confused the two models then. I have decided on the Pro. Thanks for the info guys!

You made a solid choice. If I purchase another Pro it will be with the 2 1/4Mil. I spent dome time behind one and got very comfortable with it.