• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with powder

summersux

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Lancaster Co, Pennsylvania
Hi,
I need some help selecting a powder for my bushmaster XM-15. I have been shooting heavier bullets (60-70 grain) on top of varget with good results. I have recently been given a pile of 50gr remington hollowpoints. Varget has been my go to powder, but doesn't seem like a good choice for this weight of bullet. I have heard to stay away from ball powders in an ar due to increased fouling and residue. Any merrit to this? What powder would you recomend for the ar? I thank you for your time!

Re: Help with powder

I use Hodgdon Benchmark for the light stuff. 55 gr to 69 gr bullets.

I would try Benchmark and RL-10x. I use those in most of my 223 loads with 50gr bullets with great results. I have also used quite a bit of TAC with good results for 50's and 55's.

I like the ball powders quite a bit, especially H335, BLC-2 and A2520 for the 223.

I'd suggest H335, I've shot many pounds of it through several AR15's and not noticed any issues with abnormal fouling. When I suppressed the DI uppers I noticed the normal increase in fouling blowback through the upper.

Are you a NHRPC shooter?