• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with proChrono digital

rawdeal77

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Dallas & Lubbock, Tx
Okay, so this was my first time using a chrono, and I figured it seemed simple enough, in so far as my observations at the range would be sufficient instruction. So, I didn't read instructions and I set the thing up right in front of my bench, which is how I had seen it done.

I was getting measurments of ~1800 fps on my 300WSM ( shooting Federal Premium NBTs). Knowing this was way off, I turned to the instructions, where I discovered the device needed to be placed around 10ft away to keep the muzzle blast from effecting the readings.

My question is this, when measuring "muzzle velocity" is there any meaningful difference in the bullet speed at 10ft versus 0ft?

If so, is there a way to divert the muzzle blast (without using a suppressor) in such a way that it does not effect the readings.

Re: Help with proChrono digital

Most ballistic calculators will allow you to input chrono distance and calculate accordingly based on that. The 0' and 10' difference in MV shouldn't be that much. No reason for concern unless your target is right at the edge of the range where the bullet enters the transsonic velocity.