• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help with reamer choice - 7.62x39

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
Hi guys. I need a little help with deciding on the right reamer for the job, so I'm hoping a competent smith will chime in and provide me with a little advice.

I have this little AIA M10A2 rifle which is basically a modernised Enfield action that has been modified to accept AK magazines. The rifle itself is very attractive but I would like to work on it a little further. The accuracy is not particularly good and it really is a let down on such a nice looking gun. For this reason I would like to rebarrel her with a high quality barrel in either .308 or .310 depending on what I can find.

The problem I'm having is deciding on what the appropriate reamer is that I need for the job.

PT&G seem to have multiple reamers, all of them looking appropriate to me but clearly there must be something different?

7.62mm KALASHNIKOV (7.62 x 39mm M43) $138.00
7.62mm RUSSIAN SHORT (7.62 x 39mm M43) $138.00
7.62mm x 39mm M43 $89.30
7.62mm x 39 (SAAMI) $99.00
7.62mm x 39 - Certified CIP $120.15
7.62mm x 39 KALASHINKOV $138.00
7.62mm x 39 LAPUA $138.00

<span style="text-decoration: underline">What reamer should I choose</span> and <span style="text-decoration: underline">what does certified CIP mean</span>?

I intend shoot factory stuff, surplus if I can find it and handloads. My guess would be a SAAMI spec reamer, but I'm not 100% sure.
confused.gif

Thank you guys

Re: Help with reamer choice - 7.62x39

Call PTG and either request prints of the reamers or ask Dave what the differences are.

My assumption is that you're going to want the LAPUA spec reamer based on the fact that Lapua makes brass and match ammo that's sold in some EU locations for that round. Best bet is to request the prints directly from PTG.

I'd personally build the rifle with a 308 barrel as opposed to a 310 for bullet selection reasons.

I'm curious to see the rifle you're talking about, would you be able to post a picture or two of it?

Unless you're planning to stick with handloads; my own preference would be for the SAAMI reamer.

IMHO, the SAAMI choice excells because it allows the least concern about using commercial ammo. It may also make concentricity issues a moot question; the necks are not tight enough that concentricity is crucial.

I'd use a .308 barrel, and make certain the throating is done with accordance with American commercial rifle standards which have a choking area to safely accomodate bullets larger than .308.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd use a .308 barrel, and make certain the throating is done with accordance with American commercial rifle standards which have a choking area to safely accomodate bullets larger than .308.
</div></div>

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate on this? I've heard of people reloading .308 bullets for economy instead of .311 for something like a Mosin in 7.62x54R, but never .311 bullets in a smaller diameter .308 barrel. Thanks.

I thought SAAMI would be the way to go but might just call them up. I'm also having this debate about barrel choice but will gladly go with .311 if I can find it.

I do handload a lot but would prefer to stick with the .311 ... I have heard of some factory rifles being released with .308 bore dia barrels although I have never seen one in the flesh.

That's simply what I read in my Sierra manual. They tried both bullet and bore diameters both ways and determined thet while it isn't the norm, it worked out well enough. It is the way American rifle makers (like Sturm Ruger), who typically use .308 bores. set up their rifles to accomodate European ammo which is typically the larger diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's simply what I read in my Sierra manual. They tried both bullet and bore diameters both ways and determined thet while it isn't the norm, it worked out well enough. It is the way American rifle makers (like Sturm Ruger), who typically use .308 bores. set up their rifles to accomodate European ammo which is typically the larger diameter. </div></div>

Thanks for the info Greg
smile.gif