• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing help with recoil

miniman93

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2008
SD
alright i shoot a remington model 700 30-06,i wiegh all of 115 pounds. the gun is real light and kinda kicks my ass any tips to help with the recoil

Re: help with recoil

WOW 115lbs, we had a kid like you in my unit, when we jumped the poor bastard always missed the DZ, he just floated off. SO i agree with the post that said Milkshakes. Besides, how old are you?

+1 on the muzzlebreak. If you are shooting from a bench or close to the truck you can go get yourself a 25 pound bag of #8 shot and put that between you and the buttpad

A muzzle brake is probably the quickest way to reduce recoil but, IMO, they make a gun so loud that they can not be shot without hearing protection, even when hunting. If that is not a problem, go for it.

I would recommend that you also consider purchasing a Manners or McMillan stock with heavy fill to add some mass to the gun and equip it with a soft recoil pad. Then I would shoot loads that had bullets 165gr or lighter and not run them at max and add a brake as a last resort.

I think you are wise to recognize the recoil problem and address it as it can cause lots of bad habits that ruin accuracy.

Muzzle break and add weight for best results. Keep weight withing your comfort carry level.

IMHO to add weight, add a steel one piece, BO rings and SNB PMII, NXS or USO is your best bet
wink.gif

Don't stand in its way and let it slam into you. Hold on firm and ride it. Oh, and close your jaw; so your teeth don't get rattled...

im only a junior in high school and im 5' 2'' still gaining wieght back from wrestling 103 this year

Like a couple others have said, I'd recommend you stay away from the muzzle brake option or at least shoot a gun with a brake on it first so you'll know what you're getting into. I used to have a .300WM with a brake and the noise honestly make it painful to shoot.

Add some weight like heavy rings, bipod, etc. Stuff like that willa add up. If you've got the cash, add a heavy stock, or a detachable box magazine. A loaded magazine will add a lot to it.

If none of that is feasible, do like Greg said and hug it tight. Instead of letting it slap you on the recoil, get a good grip on it and let the gun move your upper body instead of popping you in the shoulder.

Hope this helps.

This aint been mentioned yet.... Load that sum biotch with some 120 gr bullets... or find some 22 cal accelerators to shoot out of it...Then it'l kick like a .243
smile.gif

OK, here we go...

#1 - Don't wear anything nylon on your shoulder. Nothing that could cause the butt to slip.

#2 - Take that pistol grip and put a death grip on the thing/

#3 - Pull the butt of the rifle firmly into your shoulder. Compress every ounce of fat and muscle, to the point where the rifle's butt is solidly into your shoulder.

#4 - Wear plugs AND muffs. Noise is a large contributor to flinching. Less noise, less flinching.

#5 - Like Greg said above, you've got to "ride" it. Once solidly anchored to your shoulder, let the gun do what it's going to do. Yes, it will recoil. BUT, if you've got that thing firmly into your shoulder, it won't "slap" you, it will merely "push" you.

#6 - Finally, until you're well accustomed to the "push", don't even think of shooting that gun off the bench. Instead, stand up on your hind legs and shoot it like a man. You'll feel less recoil that way. Trust me on this one. Don't shoot it off the bench.

#7 - While you're practicing cramming that butt into your shoulder, force your head all the way forward. Make sure you ain't gonna walk away with a "Pettie Eye". Make sure there's clearance between your eyebrow and that nasty, sharp scope objective ring.

#8 - My wife is 125 lbs, dripping wet. She'll shoot full up turkey loads from my 870 turkey gun. She does what's above, and she'll shoot that gun again and again.

Let me know how it turns out. If you do it right, you'll even be able to shoot a .300 Weatherby (one nasty sumbitch recoiler).