• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with Redding dies

mwilkins

Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Sachse, TX.
Just got in my new dies this afternoon. Typical initial setup, run the shell holder up, run the die down until it just kisses the shell holder.

Took my first 5 pieces of clean fired brass, took a permanent marker and colored the necks and shoulders. Run the first piece of brass up into the die and check where the die runs down on the neck. Don't really want to hit the shoulders. Just wanting to get the necks.

Anyway, turns out the decapping pin isn't long enough to eject the spent primer without getting my shoulders. Measuring a before and after, the shoulders are getting bumped about .004". All of the brass is once fired Hornady and Lapua Grendel rounds.

Is there anything I can do to minimize the shoulder bump and is anyone else using these particular Redding dies experiencing the same situation.

May just try to find me another set of dies with separate decapping, sizing and seating dies.

Thanks for the help

Back the dies off a tad to limit sizing. Each turn should be 1/14" = .071". So .004" should be about 1/20th of a turn. Not much. If you must have the shell holder touch the die (some people are anal about this, others not), you can either buy competition shell holders or shim stock to put on top of the regular shell holders. The decapping pin should screw down so that it's about 1/8" or so below the bottom edge of the die - screw it down so that it sticks out no further than necessary to work and you're good to go.

Just had a brain fart.....

Should I not be able to back my die out of the press a bit so that the brass does not go all the way up with a full stroke of the press, adjust the decapping/expander assembly down so that it sets lower in the die physically......

Edit: damoncali - you were typing while I was thinking. Good call. Will give it a try but think that is the answer to the question. Newbie here at reloading so still learning. The gears are turning.

Last edited: