• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with reload troubleshooting (solved. idiot can't setup his dies right).

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Background--using PPU 7.62 Nato Brass, once fired.
Lee Single Stage
FL resize 0.002 should setback measured. (Redding FL sizing die)
Trim 2.005
OAL 2.800 (Redding Micrometer Seating die)
168 gr Hornady BTHP
IMR 4064 41.5 starting load working up to 45gr.
No Over pressure--got fantastic SD/ES (first time single digits, 5 shot group)
Rifle Rem 700 Sendero (24 in bull barrel)

My problem--the Bolt is hard to close. in fact, sometimes its nigh impossible (I did not force it). Harder to close than open. Did some web-fu and marker'd up a round.

It looks like the bullet providing the resistance. This This is what i got and now I am mystified as to why it is the bullet (assuming on the lands, but I dunno) providing resistance

Need some help diagnosing and correcting. (I confirmed Factory ammo--no issue).

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_183440598_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200530_183440598_HDR.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Does a piece of sized brass chamber?
I’m guessing from the pic yes.

There’s tools and methods to measure your chamber to see how far out the bullet can be.

That is where I’d look.
Measure a round and chamber it(in a safe manner:) ) then see if it’s shorter when you extract it.

Like @Steel head said, first place to look is the seating depth of the bullet. It looks like it's touching the lands.

Does a piece of sized brass chamber?
I’m guessing from the pic yes.

There’s tools and methods to measure your chamber to see how far out the bullet can be.

That is where I’d look.
Measure a round and chamber it(in a safe manner:) ) then see if it’s shorter when you extract it.
Actually no. I pulled a bullet on a particularly bad round and still tough to close. Somehwo I F'd up sizing. /embarassed

Reactions: Steel head