• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with rifle build for CD style matches

Yoteski

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Hey guys,
Planning on competing in as many Competition Dynamics matches as I can this year and I'd like to get a rifle together that fits the match style. Using a Bighorn Origin as my base action, but beyond that, it's all up in the air. I'm leaning towards just putting a Proof CF 6.5 creed barrel on it for a barrel. Definitely not doing another 6mm creed as I smoked a barrel in 800 rounds on another 6 creed I had. A small part of me wants to do a 6GT, but I don't know if it would be any advantage over the 6.5 in these style matches. I haven't competed in them before, always PRS/NRL style matches; where I run a heavy ass dasher.
Would love to hear your input, especially from guys who have competed in these style matches about what an ideal build and rifle weight would be. A large part of me wants to do a 6.5 creed over a GT because I'm guessing picking up brass is not an option, and even if it was, it might not be worth the weight.
Thank you!

I too have been thinking about shooting the Steel Safari this year in June. My thinking was to get a 6 creed spun up on a Light Palma barrel at 20" long thick enough to thread it up for 5/8"-24 and not to heavy that way I can also use it as a hunting barrel. The weight would be roughly 3 lbs and pushing a 107 smk im sure you could get 2900 fps out of it I've got a lot of 6.5 prime brass that I could use and not be to upset about losing brass if that was the case.

Paired with a KRG Bravo, Impact, Vortex Razor or Viper I would be looking at 13-14 lbs total rifle weight with a bipod, mag, and Thunder Beast Ultra 7. So to me that's pretty reasonable to lug around for 2-4 miles.

I wouldn't want to shoot my comp rifle in 6br as that would get expensive when it comes to losing brass if you cant pick it up.

Reactions: Yoteski
First off, EASILY the funnest match you will shoot. ANY of the CD matches. Truly individual and truly a test of your abilities.

That being said, I have shot over 10 CD matches in the last 5 years. My partner and I have won a couple of them. We switch shooting carbine/rifle every other match. This is what I use (my partner is similar):

OPEN RIFLE (usually around 18 lbs)
-6BR with 26" Heavy Palma
-Kelblys Atlas
-JP Chassi or Kelblys KTS stock

I have shot 6BR last 3 years and 6x47 for 4 yrs. Don't know if I prefer one over the other. Whichever shooting better at the time good enough.

CARBINE
-JP 223
Enough said.

-69 smk factory ammo
unlimited ammo

The 224 valk would be nice as well but with other team matches we shoot req 223 only, that's what we use. And carbine gets unlimited ammo. I have personally dumped a mag on a single target before....my partner wasn't too happy lolol...

2019 TS 3.jpg

I wouldn't do anything carbon as they are just plain too expensive. The round counts arnt high so heating up isn't a concern and the weight saving is nice but I honestly think a Light palma or med palma is just flat better.

I don't believe in super lightweight stuff as I believe you sacrifice some forgiveness and shootability (wd?) Id rather sweat a little more and have a heavy rifle I absolutely trust. That being said Im training right now for the Bushnell Elite Sniper Challenge and have purpose built a rifle to be around 12 lb mark (6br also) but we will be rucking 10+ miles a day and camping in the forest for 3 days. Little different than CD matches.

Looking forward to meeting you.

GL!
DT

Attachments

• 2019 ss 2.jpg
    2019 ss 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 2019 TS 10.JPG
    2019 TS 10.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 54
I ended up ordering a proof CF barrel to have chambered in 6 gt. I'm planning on running it in an MDT ACC so I figure I can adjust the weight to suit the match format. Just going to run it all year for all matches. I don't get to shoot as much as I used to anyhow with my new job requiring me to work weekends.

I ended up ordering a proof CF barrel to have chambered in 6 gt. I'm planning on running it in an MDT ACC so I figure I can adjust the weight to suit the match format. Just going to run it all year for all matches. I don't get to shoot as much as I used to anyhow with my new job requiring me to work weekends.

Typical typer snyper...ask for advice and do opposite! haha jk jk

I think that will be a winning combo. I really like the ACC and the barrel and action are top notch. If you arnt shooting a lot, the proof carbon will serve you well.

Your last choice is scope. 2 things are a must have (BESIDES rock solid tracking)
1 - field of view
2 - throw lever

Finding targets on the clock is by far the hardest part of this match. Its what I see rooks struggle with the most. Seeing target in binos and transitioning to rifle is VERY difficult. Keep zoom zoom low, and pick a scope with great FOV

I don't know your budget or preference here, but I cant recommend the Burris XTR3 high enough (best in class FOV) or if $$$ isn't a concern, the Tangent Theta. Wow. I own both. Nothing else compares in their price range. Period.
Honestly get a scope with a good tracking rep and pick your favorite retc.

GL!
DT

Reactions: Yoteski
I do like the 6GT tho. Good choice there. Good compromise between my 2 fav rounds (6br and 6x47)

Keep us updated on build. With pics.

8 months to go!!! Unless you hit up the Team Challenge. Then its 4 months!!

GL
DT

This isn’t really relevant since you’ve already made your choice but I thought I’d share anyways. My shooting partner and I are shooting the CD SAC this year (our first CD) match. Weight is obviously a huge concern for this match! He’s ballin on a budget but his build came out very nice considering the money he spent.
-RPR in 6.5 creed bought in the PX for $1k
-22” proof carbon 6.5 creed barrel bought with a discount for $600
-PVA Aluminum Jetblast brake $125
-Spuhr scope mount bought w/discount $275
-Leupold MK5 3-18 also bought with discount for $1200
-Harris bipod
Considering the money spent the setup is quite capable. The carbon barrel, aluminum brake, and removing the adjustable cheek piece took out quite a bit of weight. Also, the MK5 is a top performer is weight is concerned. We’ll find out in September if the RPR was a good choice or not!

Reactions: D_TROS
@D_TROS Man thanks for all the info!

I too shoot a 6BR for comps its a pretty sweet round!

6BR COMP RIFLE-19 lbs
26" MTU Contour
Impact Action
KRG Bravo with weights added

I've been running a Gen 2 Vortex Razor on it and its a great scope just heavy. I've also got a Gen 2 Viper would it be worth it to run it instead or would the downgrade hurt me in the end of not having as good of glass?

Without the weights it comes in around 16ish pounds and has a good balance to it. You think that would be adequate to hike around? My thinking was the ounces=pounds and the pounds=pain so was wanting to make it pretty light but there is always a reaction to making it light and sacrificing stability and spotting misses like you said.

I'll for sure bring my tripod!

Typical typer snyper...ask for advice and do opposite! haha jk jk

I think that will be a winning combo. I really like the ACC and the barrel and action are top notch. If you arnt shooting a lot, the proof carbon will serve you well.

Your last choice is scope. 2 things are a must have (BESIDES rock solid tracking)
1 - field of view
2 - throw lever

Finding targets on the clock is by far the hardest part of this match. Its what I see rooks struggle with the most. Seeing target in binos and transitioning to rifle is VERY difficult. Keep zoom zoom low, and pick a scope with great FOV

I don't know your budget or preference here, but I cant recommend the Burris XTR3 high enough (best in class FOV) or if $$$ isn't a concern, the Tangent Theta. Wow. I own both. Nothing else compares in their price range. Period.
Honestly get a scope with a good tracking rep and pick your favorite retc.

GL!
DT

I have a Kahles 6-24 I'll be running on it, but I'm ordering an XTRIII very soon for another rifle. Have a set or Sig BDX 3000 bins to run, which should work pretty well for the task I hope.

@D_TROS Man thanks for all the info!

I too shoot a 6BR for comps its a pretty sweet round!

6BR COMP RIFLE-19 lbs
26" MTU Contour
Impact Action
KRG Bravo with weights added

I've been running a Gen 2 Vortex Razor on it and its a great scope just heavy. I've also got a Gen 2 Viper would it be worth it to run it instead or would the downgrade hurt me in the end of not having as good of glass?

Without the weights it comes in around 16ish pounds and has a good balance to it. You think that would be adequate to hike around? My thinking was the ounces=pounds and the pounds=pain so was wanting to make it pretty light but there is always a reaction to making it light and sacrificing stability and spotting misses like you said.

I'll for sure bring my tripod!

No worries. Anything I can do to help. I shot my first CD match in 2012. They are the best/smoothest/fairest ran match you will shoot.

As 75%+ of the shots are going to be prone, heavy rifles arnt a requirement or an advantage. ALso keep in mind which CD match you will be shooting.

Team Challenge - You have 1 hr to complete the field course. That includes running/walking between shooting stages (there are 4 I believe) so reducing weight is more of a concern. At ea stage you will have to find, range, engage all targets. Again its only an hour and you don't get a ton of extra points for finishing early (bonus pts earned depends on hit percentage) but they do add up if you are in decent shape. Again not a requirement to run. If you find all your targets, plenty of time to finish. We finished one stage 30 mins early one yr. Usually closer to 15 mins tho. And we hustle.

Team Safari - You walk between stages and sit behind a bush getting your get ready for a 5 min stage. No bonus pts for finishing stage early. Then walk to next stage. Will shoot 8 stages a day on field courses. Super easy physically compared to other CD matches. Heavy rifle not a hinderance but wouldn't go above 18 because again most stages are prone. This match will be miserable if you don't have a quality tripod.

Steel Safari - same as Team safari but 100% individual match. So you will find, range and shoot targets on your own. Tripod required.

The other adventure challenge Ive nvr done as its an adventure challenge and not as much a shooting match. Pass for me. I like shooting too much.

As to the Gen2 RAzor, that's a fantastic scope. I have owned 3 different ones. Only sold because I kept accidentally locking the knobs. Drove me crazy. If I were you I would not switch it out. The Gen1/2 rzrs are the only Vortexs I trust 100% (don't worry after it costs you in a match they have a great warranty lolol) stay with what you know works. THe Gen2 works.

I would use the Gen 2 and remove the stock weights. 16 is a good number for 3 of their matches. 14-16 would be a sweet spot for what you need to do.

GL
DT

I have a Kahles 6-24 I'll be running on it, but I'm ordering an XTRIII very soon for another rifle. Have a set or Sig BDX 3000 bins to run, which should work pretty well for the task I hope.

I use both the Steiner 8x with the retc so I can get my partner on targets, and the SIg 3000's. Love them both and both will work very well.

One thing you can do is put your partners info in your 3000 and when you range targets, just tell him what to dial. Saves a step and steps save time.

Kahles is a solid scope. Should be gtg there. Put a throw lever on it so you can zoom zoom in and out fast to find targets. Finding targets will be your biggest obstacle.

GL man keep us updated.
DT

Rifle set up for the Safari's is so far down the list to do well. Shoot what you got.

As DT mentioned, finding targets is the biggest obstacle. Can't find them, can't shoot at them.

Rifle set up for the Safari's is so far down the list to do well. Shoot what you got.

As DT mentioned, finding targets is the biggest obstacle. Can't find them, can't shoot at them.

I have no doubt about your logic. I'm looking at doing the Burris Team challenge and Vortex extreme also. I feel that any way I can optimize weight to offset my fatass has potential benefit for these matches. My dasher with an MTU barrel at 20+ lbs. doesn't sound like a fun day. Unfortunately age is catching up with my knees and metabolism ?

Reactions: D_TROS