• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes HELP WITH RINGS AND BASE FOR NEW NXS 3.5-15X50 !

clifford44

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Arkansas
After hearing all the great things about Nightforce, I finally rounded up ALL my spare money and bought an NXS 3.3-15x40. I'm putting it on a Remington LTR .308. I'm looking at an EGW 1 pc. base (0 MOA) and Burris Xtreme tactical 30mm medium height rings (per Nightforce). Does this seem to be an adequate set up? I know I just spent a mint on the scope, and the cost of Nightforce and other bases/rings I've seen seem outragous (yeah I know what I just paid for the scope). I've also considered the Warne medium rings for this set up. I'm looking for opinions from the "experts" on this sight. What do you think?
Thanks, Clifford44

Re: HELP WITH RINGS AND BASE FOR NEW NXS 3.5-15X50

I'll second the seekins rings. Excellent quality. Just put a NF 3.5-15x50 on my new 700 with a 20moa badger base and seekins medium rings. Very happy.
5r-2.jpg

that looks like a sharp set up, i like it! need i ask how it shoots? than ks for the info and the pic

raxafarian,

How long did it take to get your Seekins rings? Been waiting two months on mine.

I use NF Ultralight rings.

NF rings seem to fit NF's slightly oversized tubes better than most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">raxafarian,

How long did it take to get your Seekins rings? Been waiting two months on mine.</div></div>

I got mine from Liberty Optics... 3 days. Not sure if they are still in stock or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that looks like a sharp set up, i like it! need i ask how it shoots? than ks for the info and the pic

Shoots good so far. Just getting into longer range shooting. I can already tell I need to stay out of the gear exchange
smile.gif

Greedy, lead time depends on what you ordered and when. We try to keep stuff in stock, but its tough to keep it all in stock all the time. Its also possible that we don't have some information we need to send your order.

If anyone is wondering about their order at any time we encourage you to call us and find out whats up. If we don't answer we are on the other line and if we don't call you back from the caller ID (do often) then wait 5 minuets and try us again OR leave a message.

anything 50mm with a barrel size of sendero/PSS/Varmint or larger you want medium rings and always a 20moa base
smile.gif

Badger Ord. or Lightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greedy, lead time depends on what you ordered and when. We try to keep stuff in stock, but its tough to keep it all in stock all the time. Its also possible that we don't have some information we need to send your order.

If anyone is wondering about their order at any time we encourage you to call us and find out whats up. If we don't answer we are on the other line and if we don't call you back from the caller ID (do often) then wait 5 minuets and try us again OR leave a message.

anything 50mm with a barrel size of sendero/PSS/Varmint or larger you want medium rings and always a 20moa base
smile.gif
</div></div>

Glen, I've been wanting to ask you... I have a rem sa w/ #3 Bartlein bbl, Badger 20moa base and am waiting for an sn-3 tpal w/ 44mm objective. I'm hoping your lows will work.

+1 on Liberty Optics

Re: HELP WITH RINGS AND BASE FOR NEW NXS 3.5-15X50 !

Well, it's probably pretty obvious to you veteran long range shooters that i'm somewhat of a rookie in this area. i do pride myself in buying top quality equipment (in relative terms of course). but i must admit i was shocked at the price of NF bases, rings, etc as well as badger's and more. I shoot leupold and meopta scopes on all my guns and consistently use leupold bases and rings. So when I priced the NF rings i about fell out! is an EGW base and the burris xtreme tactical rings just totally unacceptable? i have no problems (ego, etc.)asking and getting advise from those of you that are 'IN THE KNOW" on this subject. i'm just looking for some good advise here, bit i do want to do this scope on this rifle right and preferably only once! Again thanks for all the help and advise.

People use dovetail Leupold rings and bases, EGW, Burris and many other less expensive scope mounting systems with tremendous success. You do not need to spend Badger or even Seekins money to achieve repeatable accuracy.

Buy your EGW base and XTR rings. Carefully mount them to the correct torque specs and shoot with confidence.

If you spend a lot of coin on a scope and want the insurance of repeatability, then buy a precision machined mounting system like Seekins or Badger. I personally feel it's worth the money.

You can buy a precision scope mounting system and mount them to an out of spec action and end up with a tweaked rail. Then it isn't worth the money is it!

There is a lot to learn in order to make good decisions with respect to achieving repeatable accuracy. Keep searching and reading. You will find a wealth of information here.

i run the burris xtr lows on my 308 and they've been rock solid for me so far

Go Seekins or stay with NF. You're woried about the extra $ for NF rings and base. Look at it this way. Add up the cost of your proposed set up and then add up the cost of the NF. Very little extra $$ given the total spend of scope, base and rings.

+1 for Seekins rings, great product and supporter of this site.

I can see your point. When you spend $1500 on a scope, what seems like a lot for rings and bases in the big scheme of things isn't as much as it seems. I will admit I was surprised at the cost of NF and Badger rings and bases. I guess my concern would be is if there is really that much difference in those and an EGW base and burris tactical xtreme rings? I'm a recreational shooter and a serious hunter. I don't really get to the range near as much as I used to or I should. I really enjoy shooting and i guess collecting somewhat expensive guns and scopes. Everyone has to have their "vice" right?? Thanks for the input. As bad as I want to put this scope on my LTR .308 and go shoot, I have a few days to think it over and make a decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raxafarian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll second the seekins rings. Excellent quality. Just put a NF 3.5-15x50 on my new 700 with a 20moa badger base and seekins medium rings. Very happy.
5r-2.jpg

</div></div>

Very nice....this is exactly what I would recommend...as a matter of fact, that looks exactly like my rig...at least until I break out the Krylon.

I really like the Seekins rings!