• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help with savage 110 build

jimbob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2008
Colville, Washington
My uncle has served in the U.S. army for twenty years and has worked for them as a civilian for thirteen. Last year, an anti-American pulled up beside him and ran him in to a train in Belgium, injuring him very badly. He currently lives in Germany and is coming home soon. He has a savage 110 .30-06 that he wants to build into a tactical/hunting rifle. He wants to stick with the 06 but cant take much recoil and can't carry a 15 pound gun. I'm a remington guy and want some input on cool toys to buy for a true patriot. This is a savage 110 series j made in or close to mid eighties.

As far as the recoil there are many good brakes out there that would make it much more comfortable to shoot. JP makes some nice brakes that work well.

I would go with a heavy sporter/light varmint type contour in 24" for the barrel. Something like Manners Elite Hunter line of stocks would work well as a crossover hunting/tactical stock. There are tons of breaks out there will tame the recoil down to hardly anything. This would be a light enough rifle to hunt with, but heavy enough to shoot mid range with as well.

I've looked at cdi and accurate mag bottom metal. Anybody used these on a savage? What about a .280 in a prefit barrel? How accurate are the prefits?

Don't know what precision he anticipates or the expected range, but I'd go lighter weight with a 6.5 mil or a .308 SCAR.
Both are super accurate at distance.
Skip

Savage prefits are pretty accurate. $300-400 will get you pretty much whatever barrel you want. Mcgowen has varmint profiles on the shelf ready to ship. ER Shaw makes OK barrels for hunting (from what I hear). If you want a different profile, might take a few months (depending on maker). Barrel nut wrench, go/no-go gauges, pretty much DIY.

Call Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooters Supply...he'll get you fixed right up with everything you need, and nothing you don't.

A 24" light varmint contour, factory threaded Criterion barrel with quality brake (JP, Little Bastard, etc.) and a Manners EH1/T2/T3 stock with CDI DBM and a Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger will be a capable rifle at maybe 10-11lbs depending on optic weight.

I know you said he wanted to stick with the 06 so why don't you build a 6.5-06, lighter recoil, super accurate, and a lot lighter recoil with a brake. You can always load them down to 260 speeds and maintain good barrel life.
Just my 2 cents

Andrew

+1 on Jim Briggs. But you have to call him. Just as well too, he's a good guy to talk your build thru with (his wife knows a thing or two also).

Thanks! I would love to build a 6.5-06. I've never necked up or down any brass before. Is a 6.5-06 readily available in a pre fit or is that a custom deal

jimbob,

I have a beautiful Savage action based 6.5 CM that has cdi bm in it. It is an excellent piece. It has a 26" bartlein barrel and it is a tremendous shooter. And keep in mind, you could mount an efficient brake and even a brake attached suppressor. You will have a very manageable great shooter.
Best of luck.

+1 Jim Briggs. he has everything for a savage you would need. he carries Criterion, Shilen, a few others barrels in stock. I have bought 3 off of him in the past. he has some stocks too. give him a call 763-862-4296

I have both a bell & carlson a5 adjustable(is a little heavy but at $450) and an xlr industries stock on savages and recently put a mcgowen prefit 6mbr on my model 12. There a a ton of options. For little money invested i Got a sav-2 rifle basics adjustable trigger, precision recoil lug and prefit barrel. the gun shoots amazing. 6mm br is an awesome caliber. Worth considering if you do mostly target shooting and dont need the punch of a 30-06. Check out 6mmbr specs ataccurate shooter if your not familiar. Also you said hes coming home soon. Mcgowen has a 1 week delivery turn around. I had all my stuff in under a week. Thats hard to beat when looking at barrels. Either way, Good luck with your rifle and purchasing.

I called and talked to Jim briggs at northland shooters supply, and he took me for an "over the phone tour" of his barrel selection. I bought a criterion ss 26" varmint contour chambered in 6.5x55 match. This rifle is going to be amazing. Thanks for the help

I need the internal mag box follower and spring. The box is proving hard to find. I need the one that locks on to the receiver