• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help with scope choice

wjm1000

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
PA
Here's my scope usage: longrange deer hunting 1000 to 1500 yards and 1000 yard benchrest. This is what I currently use NightForce 8X32X56 benchrest scope for the above mentioned tasks.

I usually use the scope at 22X while hunting. I find the field of view to be too small and not bright enough for snowless overcast days.

The two main concerns are brightness and field of view.

The scopes I'm looking at are the US Optics SN-3 T-PAL 5-25X or the SN-3 3.8-22X, NightForce NXS 5-22X56, Swarovski Z6 Series
5-30x50 and Zeiss Victory 6-24x56

Suggestions please

Re: Help with scope choice

I've got a Nightforce 8-32 X 56 NXS on my Bohica 50 BMG and for field of view that is really not going to give you much. It's a great clear rifle at the lower settings but anything at 32 X is going to have trouble. Only at it's lowest setting. Wouldn't you be better off with a 3-12 X50 Burris Signature? I just put one on my wife's Elk rifle that I built for her in 1983. Trying to kill a deer at 700 or more yards is not really the best idea from a sporting view point. Coyotes are a better idea. I just hate the idea of wounding a nice buck and not being able to find it. At longer ranges you have to know exactly what your range is and it takes a really expensive rangefinder to get a return at anything over 6 to 7 hundred yards. I too would like to be able to consistantly make a shot that far but I'm not going to do it with deer. I've got a lot of practice to do even before I try shooting coyotes. What ever you decide be safe.

.308 and .338 cal. the .308 I'm using 210 Berger's at 3200fps and 300 Sierra MK at 2875fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjm1000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 and .338 cal. the .308 I'm using 210 Berger's at 3200fps and 300 Sierra MK at 2875fps. </div></div>

Please tell of the magical powder your using to get a 210 Berger going 3200fps out of a .308....

Ron, My son and a few friends have been hunting longrange for about 15 years and have taken many deer from anywhere from 600 to 1300 yards and never lost one, (missed a few).

.308 is the caliber not the case. The case is a .340 Wby. necked down and blown out and the shoulder moved forward.

One of my shooting buddies, keeps sending me adds for ATN, NCStar, Leapers and BSA type scopes to put on his 50 Caliber. He is about to frost my butt with this cheap attitude. It's not like he cannot afford it. I keep telling him what I heard here. "Friends don't let friends buy ATN".

Is it called hunting at that range?
I think not. But that's me.
It is what it is.

All taken over 600 yards. All but 2 were one shot kills.

Picture090.jpg

9-12-2007012.jpg

Welcome to the hide. Don't let the idiots get under your skin. Somebody always has something to say around here.

Nice rifle you got there.
smile.gif
Not a terrible trophy wall either.

Since you already have a nightforce, you'll be happy with an NXS.

US Optics SN-3 T-PAL 5-25X<span style="font-weight: bold">80mm</span>
Nothing like a 'Super Scope'. When I looked through one of those custom's at the shop in OC, I was speechless(well a Holy Shit did come out me mouth) at what I could see far away(it was kinda cold at the top of Knott's Berry Farm's Parachute Ride)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the hide. Don't let the idiots get under your skin. Somebody always has something to say around here.

Nice rifle you got there.
smile.gif
Not a terrible trophy wall either.

Since you already have a nightforce, you'll be happy with an NXS.

</div></div>

No kidding.. why would you idiots that made idiotic replies assume that he doesnt know what he's talking about just by the low number of posts? Lame you guys..

Very nice trophy's and very nice rifle. A .340 Wby pushing a .308 pill=sweet!

I'm about to piss off half the guys here, but I don't really care for Zeiss. Have a Conquest and a Diavari. The color contrast is excellent, but there is something about the eyepiece that drives me crazy. No matter how I address the scope, there is a glare on the edge that will go 360 around the edge. My USO is my favorite. Optically, I prefer Swarovski, but an overall package, USO all the way.

I heard some bad stuff about Leupolds customer service on here recently but I have to say that I am very impressed. I had to call them the other day and within 10 minutes I had a guy calling me back doing all he could to fix my problem. I love the Leupold Mark4 and I'm very impressed with the glass. I would recommend one

Well your trophy wall looks much better then mine. I've got a story about Leupold customer service. When I was stationed at McCord AFB in the late 1970s I picked up a Leupold VX III 1.5-5 Scope for $25 at the Washington State Arms collectors monthly gun show. I used that scope on several different rifles for 30 years and this last year my wife took an 8 point buck with it. As I got ready to reload some rounds for her .243 I found that I had problems with the scope's adjustments. I called Leupold and sent it back to them. About 3 weeks later I received a brand new VX III 1.5-5 in a sealed box. That scope sells for about $400. I will never complain about Leupold with service like that.

Ron, I bought my first Leupold a 2-7X in 1964, I think I payed $60.00 for it (big money at the time), and it's still in use today. Never had to send it back for repair, however I did send it back to have new updated glass put in it a few years back. I think they completely rebuilt it with the exception of the tube and cross hair, for $30.00.

Does anyone have this scope? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this one. Does the field of view seem correct?

Schmidt and Bender Police Marksman II (PM II) 5-25x56 L/P P3 Mildot MOA Double Turn Riflescope
Detailed Specifications
Length (in): 15.5
Eye Relief (in): 3.7
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 22.5 - 7.5
Exit Pupil (mm): 11.2 - 2.24