• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with scope for .22 Precision rifle

bfm1851

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2005
East Texas
Currently have a Ruger 10-22 that shoots pretty well and I thought I was happy with it. BUT after reading all the threads on .22 rifles here I think I need either a CZ457 or Tikka. The Ruger seems to get good reviews but in handling one at LGS I don't warm up to the plastic stock. Anyway I'll come across one I like sooner or later but what I would like help with is picking a scope for this new tack driver ;).
I have a couple of Athlon ETR 4.5-30x56 scopes on my center fire rifles and like them. What are you guys using or recommend. What power would be best. I always thought if you can not see it you can not hit it and I like seeing my shots on the target. Is there a scope out there that can show .22 holes at 100+ yards??
Thanks in advance for your help.

You left the door wide open, what is the gun going to be used for, BR, NRL22, hunting, plinking, etc. For example if its a br gun then I would like something with high fixed magnification, if its a hunting gun you do not want the fixed mag, then something in the 3-14 mag would be find, nrl22 or plinking you could go with 6-24x50, all depends on what the gun is used for and if its used for all I mentioned then check out the Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50. then you can decide if you want FFP or SFP or MIL or MOA lol.

Carl

P.S. with a little time and money you can make that 10/22 a tack driver

Most important thing to look for in a 22 scope is adjustable parallax that goes down to at least 25 yards (or lower if you plan on shooting at close range accurately or want to focus while dry firing in the house/back yard).

Otherwise, Carl was right, we need more info.

Sorry I should have given some more information. I don't currently compete in any shooting events nor do I hunt anymore with the exception of a possium or skunk in the back yard. I mostly challenge myself in trying to shoot tiny one hole groups.
With regard to the 10-22 I'll include a couple targets recently shot testing different ammo at 50yrds. Not sure if flyers are me or ammo but rifle will shoot well. My groups open up at 100yrds and that is what I would like to improve. :)

Target Jan. 3.jpg
Wolf .22 Target .jpg

Reactions: CodeMonkey
I run Ares ETR's on my 22's, and I see holes at 100 yards fine. I love my ETR, (have 2 of them) and considering maybe a 3rd down the line. If I had the extra $500 I'd love for them to produce an updated Cronus.

10/22's in a light stock is pretty hard to shoot when comparing to my center fire rifles or my heavier 22LR in a 5lb chassis. With a light stock the movement of the bolt and the time the bullet is in the barrel has enough vibration that if I'm not properly doing fundamentals my groups open up. I thought the rifle sucked, then I took the time to get behind my 10/22 and I was able to get tighter groups.

I just bought the Oryx 10/22, sitting at my desk right now waiting to go home and install it. That + Arca + my nicer bipod should be good to see how it shoots.

You left the door wide open, what is the gun going to be used for, BR, NRL22, hunting, plinking, etc. For example if its a br gun then I would like something with high fixed magnification, if its a hunting gun you do not want the fixed mag, then something in the 3-14 mag would be find, nrl22 or plinking you could go with 6-24x50, all depends on what the gun is used for and if its used for all I mentioned then check out the Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50. then you can decide if you want FFP or SFP or MIL or MOA lol.

Carl

P.S. with a little time and money you can make that 10/22 a tack driver

IME it's a lot of time and a lot more money.

Lesloan, not quite sure what you mean about time and money, takes no time at all to replace a trigger, a barrel, stock ect. on a 10/22. He already has the gun and with a few mods can make it a tack driver and for about the price he will spend on something better. Unless you meant time on the range and money spent buying ammo lol.

Carl

"I run Ares ETR's on my 22's, and I see holes at 100 yards fine. I love my ETR, (have 2 of them) and considering maybe a 3rd down the line. If I had the extra $500 I'd love for them to produce an updated Cronus.

10/22's in a light stock is pretty hard to shoot when comparing to my center fire rifles or my heavier 22LR in a 5lb chassis. With a light stock the movement of the bolt and the time the bullet is in the barrel has enough vibration that if I'm not properly doing fundamentals my groups open up. I thought the rifle sucked, then I took the time to get behind my 10/22 and I was able to get tighter groups.

I just bought the Oryx 10/22, sitting at my desk right now waiting to go home and install it. That + Arca + my nicer bipod should be good to see how it shoots."

A bit more information on my Ruger 10-22. It has the heavy barrel and a real nice heavy wood stock. I had an old Tasco World Class 10-40 scope and installed it. It shows bullet holes well out to 100yrds but I don't think the glass is as good as some of the scopes out there now. I shoot off bipod and rear squeeze bag and often find I actually am holding the butt of rifle on my hand. As I stated my groups are good with wolf match target and maybe it's me and another rifle may not help much at all. Just scratch that itch I seem to have developed.

Attachments

• thumbnail[1].jpg
    thumbnail[1].jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 56
Take a look at the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP; I have the 4-16 on my CZ and love it.

Reactions: Gustav7
I run a Cabelas Covenant 7 on my RPRR for NRL22 base class. Build a 457 for open and I will use a Trijicon 4.5-30.

I run a Cabelas Covenant 7 on my RPRR for NRL22 base class. Build a 457 for open and I will use a Trijicon 4.5-30.
If you don't mind give us a report on how you like that Trijicon I've been looking at 1 maybe the five by 50 thank you very much

If you don't mind give us a report on how you like that Trijicon I've been looking at 1 maybe the five by 50 thank you very much

So far I have only run it in one PRS match. I like the reticle, but I would prefer a little more space around the floating dot. Red and Green illumination is nice. Glass is very clear. Comes with a sunshade and Tennabrex caps. Tracks true. My only complaint is that the eyebox is little less forgiving and the clicks are not as distinct as the Schmidt 5x25 I normally use for PRS, but that costs almost 2x as much. For $1600ish I think the Trij is a very good value.

Take a look at the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP; I have the 4-16 on my CZ and love it.

+1 on this. I use my savage mk2 for squirrel hunting, backyard plinking, Grackles in the backyard at up to 100yds, and NRL matches at my local club...so I needed a scope with a good range of magnification, and that could focus to closer range.

Originally I got the Vortex crossfire II 4-12x50AO, because you could focus using the objective lens and it focused all the way down to 10yds, which for squirrel hunting was a huge plus. The downside is, the reticle sucks (only 3 hash marks and thick reticle), and it doesn't have external turret adjustments.

Just picked up the Diamondback Tactical 4-16 and I think it will be a great match. Its about the perfect magnification for an all around .22.

So far I have only run it in one PRS match. I like the reticle, but I would prefer a little more space around the floating dot. Red and Green illumination is nice. Glass is very clear. Comes with a sunshade and Tennabrex caps. Tracks true. My only complaint is that the eyebox is little less forgiving and the clicks are not as distinct as the Schmidt 5x25 I normally use for PRS, but that costs almost 2x as much. For $1600ish I think the Trij is a very good value.
Thank you for the Post I think I will try one. They're ACOG Scopes are awesome I didn't think they would be too bad with Trijicon reputation thank you again for the review!

Reactions: Kartman
I’m new to 22lr competition shooting. Do you guys think 4-16 power scope is enough or do I need to go for a 6-24 power mag range?

+1 for the Diamonback Tactical 4-16x for a scope that won't break the bank. The glass is good for the pricepoint and lots of features as well including the side parallax adjustment to 10 yrds. I just got one for my RPRR and so far am enjoying it and it was a definite upgrade my my old hunting scope take-off that was on there. I'll probably end up moving it to my CZ 457 once it gets in.

our sightron s3 10x50x60 will enable you to be inches away at 100 yards and if you cut the side of another shot you can see that as well weather permitting its not as clear as the delta which just pops that much more and offers far more elevation and brighter picture, but the sightron is cheaper in the wallet without giving up too much I don't shoot competitions but enjoy seeing the extra details . I am not sure any scope would let you see 22lr impacts at 600 yards steel maybe paper I don't see it . what ever you get good luck .