• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help with setting up ballistics app "shooter"

blazinta

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2011
i purchased "shooter" to use on my droid. i have a couple of questions. when setting up the profile for my gun, it asks the "sight height" where do i measure this (top of barrel to center of objective on scope?) and what do i enter for the elevation correction factor and wind correction factor?

and when setting up the profile for the ammo, how do i determine the MV variation? and do i want to use G1 or G7 for the drag model? what is the zero height?

sorry for all the questions. i am new to this and am still trying to figure it all out.

Re: help with setting up ballistics app "shooter"

sight height is measured from center of barrel to center of scope

elevation and windage correction factors are used when your scope doesn't track perfectly. Say your scope "clicks" are 0.25 MOA but it actually moves poi 0.24 MOA you could adjust it to give you the correct amount of clicks by using .25/.24

I don't input MV variation so maybe somebody else in chime in for that.

Ace,
That was a great link and nice help for a new member
Thanks.

I tried out Shooter, and have been having a big problem, and am not sure if it is my error or just an issue with the program. Most everyone here seems to love the app and have no issues, so I'm thinking maybe I'm not entering something incorrectly.
Here's my current info that I have entered...

Rifle info:
Caliber-.308
Twist- 1 in 10 Righthand
Sight Height- 1.7"
Sight Offset- 0.0"
Units- Mils, 1/10 grad
Correction Factor- 0.1

Ammo Info:
Sierra 175 gr, HPBT MatchKing
Diameter-0.308
Weight-175 gr
Length-1.24
Muzzle Velocity- 2600 fps
Zeroed- 100 yrds

Atmospheric Conditions( automatically populated)
Density Alt- 2923.0 ft
Temp- 59 F

Here's where I am having issues:
<span style="font-weight: bold">Solution</span>:
Range- 1000 yrds
Elevation- +1.0 mils????? +10 clicks?????

Those correction values are way off, are they not?
Anyone have an issue like this with this app?

^^Double check your zero distance entry. Otherwise your shooting range is on the moon....

I have found the answer to my problem. Turns out, I'm an IDIOT....
I had entered 0.1 in the rifle field called Elevation Correction, thinking that was for the value in Mils that my turrets were set to make on each click (1/10).
I did not realize that was to enter an amount to correct for errors in the scopes adjustment. Set the value back to the default 1, and the problem is solved.
App is spot on now.