• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with spotting scope for CMP / High Power shooting

garandguy777

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2023
PA
Hey everyone,
I'm looking at getting a spotting scope for shooting in CMP games and high power type events. The big need is to spot shots on targets at 200, hopefully 300 yards if possible. I would like good eye relief also since we have to use eye protection and in different positions. Currently the farthest I shoot is 600 yards for the vintage sniper, all I need is to see the scoring discs there. I would like one that can see mirage as I continue to learn the sport as well. I'm currently looking at a Kowa with the 25 or 27x LER eye piece. I'm just not sure which Kowa, be it the 82SV, 601, 663, 883, etc. I'm also not sure if I need a 60mm or 80mm objective and what the thought is there. I'll be mounting it on a first strike or Giraud stand.

I'm also looking at the Athlon Ares G2 UHD. It gets pretty good reviews and I see you can get a 22x fixed eye piece for it, but it doesn't have the long eye relief I'd like. I take it you can't put a kowa eyepiece on an Athlon body? I'm looking to stay within about $1000-$1200 if possible, so please let me know your suggestions, thanks!

Reactions: simonp
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Reactions: MAC702
I'm just not sure which Kowa, be it the 82SV, 601, 663, 883, etc. I'm also not sure if I need a 60mm or 80mm objective
I've been using the 663 for quite a while. You don't need anything bigger, even the 601 will work as long as the LER is available for it. The ED and Fluorite lens makes a big difference over the standard lens. You do need the LER, so don't get anything without it.
l83UKtg.jpg

Reactions: Alpine 338
A Kowa TSN-1 with 25x LER is as solid as you need. Thousands of people used them at one time. I've seen them in the $300 range on Ebay. I shoot with a guy that made the 2015 palma team using one, he wouldn't trade it for anything. I used a Leica 77ED for my high power days and the TSN-1 is not far behind during normal conditions.

Buying a chinese glassed spotter will guarantee one thing, you will be buying another scope at some point.

I'll second the recommendation for the 663 with the TSE-17HD LER eyepiece. The 663 model does not have fluorite glass lenses, but it does have XD lenses. It should fit your budget nicely. Fluorite glass would take you way over budget and only comes in the 88mm and 99mm spotters.

I've been seeing that setup at CMP and highpower matches for many years. The long eye relief eyepiece is a must for that discipline.

The Giraud stand is a good one.

Reactions: Alpine 338
The 82SV on a Giraud tripod is an excellent scope that should last a shooting career (and perhaps as a pass-down to kids or grandkids).

The 25X or 27X long eye relief eyepiece is the correct choice.

The Fluorite lens 663 is also a fantastic scope, the clarity of the High Definition glass making up for a smaller objective lens for light gathering.

I passed my Kowa 821 to my son. I bought a new 823 that was stolen out of my truck, and upgraded to an 883 with the insurance check.

I have had an 82SV for a decade, it's a great spotting scope at a good price. This past summer I upgraded to the 883 because I wanted the fluorite glass, which only comes in the 99X, the 99X, and the 55x. The 99x was way too heavy and big for use in position and I read too many bad reviews of it elsewhere. The 66x does not have fluorite glass, it has XD glass, Kowa's version of ED glass and I do not know what level of ED it is. I wanted fluorite glass for mirage and that's the Kowa 88x.

I started with the LER eyepiece in my 883, but have since upgraded to the new Kowa TSE-80XW. Phenomenal eyepiece.

Last edited:
For CMP and high power you definitely want the following:
- Long eye relief eyepiece. Don't consider one without the option.
- Angled scope body.

The Kowa TSN-82SV and it's prior version, the 821 are some of the most prevalent on any given firing line. There are also less expensive options like Konuspot, Konus, etc. Champions Choice makes their own version too.
Call Creedmoor Sports or Champions Choice and ask for suggestions. Or look on the various high power forums. Both for suggestions and sales posts. Or go to a match and look through several scopes. Most folks are very helpful.
All you really need to see is the shot spotting disks and the scoreboard. With e-targets, you don't even need that. The primary use is to watch the mirage.