• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with starting kids in shooting.

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
I'll be taking a friend and his 9 year old son to the range tomorrow. The friend has a decent amount of firearms handing but not recently. The kid is new to firearms, but as i understand it has been shooting his Daisy BB gun under the supervision of the father for a while.

My question is I know the NRA has a thing to help parents out with teaching there kids the firearms safety but more on a kids level. I'd like to find that so I could forward it to my friend as an addition to any teaching he has already given his son.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help with starting kids in shooting.

The program you're looking for is the Eddie Eagle program.
Alternatively, both dad and son might do well with taking the NRA Basic Rifle course.
When I teach that class, I concentrate on the pure basics of shooting fundamentals, and making sure I make the class as fun as possible.
Kids LOVE blowing things up. Balloons are great, if you have titanium lungs. Clay birds (skeet) are awesome too - at 50 feet.
You get the boom effect, and there's a major visual result that's instantaneous, and they're hooked.
Clay birds are super cheap, easy to hit, and make a little mess. Put a tarp down to catch the broken ones or you'll be raking the area for months.
Be sure to focus on the Firearms Safety Rules. Get WAY obnoxious about them to hammer them home.
I have my students recite them dozens of times throughout the class to reinforce them. Before break, after break, and as often as possible in between.
It's a set of rules that they will use for the rest of their lives, and hopefully pass on to others.
Have had a couple of my students get on others at the range for being unsafe...quite comical to see a 12 year old girl getting on grampa for not keeping his muzzle downrange at all times...HA!
Reagrdless, keep it FUN. That keeps people's attention, and gets the shoting bug into their veins.