• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with watch and backpack.

athanasios23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2009
New York, USA
Hello all,

Just got a new job and need a good watch and backpack. Not trying to break the bank on these two item. Just wondering what people use on a daily basis.

Watch- looking for something that can be banged around without being destroyed. Was looking at g-shocks but not sure if there is something better in the $100 price range.

Backpack- needs to carry 30-40lbs and doesn't need to be tacticool or camo. Just needs to be sturdy and carry the weight well. Some organizational pockets are preferred.

I use a clc bag for all my electrical tools it probably has 40-50 lbs worth of shit in it, I do service on drilling rigs it sees a lot of abuse I can usually make it last several years before replacing. It sees mud, rain, snow, oil base mud and pretty much the nastiest and some of the harshest environments you could imagine.

Reactions: Don-n-Texas
I've got a eberlestock hispeed II for sale in the PX

As far as watches go, for digital, g-shock is kinda the standard, for normal dial watches, that would be very subjective. S&B watches are nice and not expensive. I have a luminox but it eats batteries so I never suggest them to anyone really. My citizen p-cat never lets me down.

G-shock with the solar cell... I’ve had one for 10 years. No issues.

Pack. Vertx Gamut line. I’ve used a Gamut for about 4 years. Traveled extensively with it. Used it for day hiking in Switzerland, Spain, Norway and all over the US. Low profile. You won’t stick out for being too tactical.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Watch: Timex Ironman.
Backpack: The North Face Borealis or Recon. Good, durable backpacks that dont make you look like a tactard. Plus they are great packs for day hiking and picking up hippie skanks.

Reactions: Ric O'shay
Watch: Timex Ironman.
Backpack: The North Face Borealis or Recon. Good, durable backpacks that dont make you look like a tactard. Plus they are great packs for day hiking and picking up hippie skanks.
+1 for the NF Borealis. I've had the same one for 14 years now. It's been to more countries than most people I know.

I use a Casio Rangeman GW9400-1. It's solar powered, and automatically syncs with the atomic clock every night. I've had mine for about 5 years with zero problems. It's always accurate, and I don't have to worry about batteries. Also has compass, pressure, and altitude functions. Comes in black, green, and gray. Little more than $100, (it's $180), but it'll last you a very long time. Buy once, cry once.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFYYKLA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Q-XrEbKE5GEQ8

ETA: I used to have a Suunto Vector that I loved but I had to replace the band and battery every year or so. This Casio is still on the original band with no signs of degradation.

Last edited:
I use a Casio Rangeman GW9400-1. It's solar powered, and automatically syncs with the atomic clock every night. I've had mine for about 5 years with zero problems. It's always accurate, and I don't have to worry about batteries. Also has compass, pressure, and altitude functions. Comes in black, green, and gray. Little more than $100, but it'll last you a very long time. Buy once, cry once.
If $100 qualifies as "buy once, cry once" for anyone, I would strongly suggest they avoid watches as a hobby.

If $100 qualifies as "buy once, cry once" for anyone, I would strongly suggest they avoid watches as a hobby.

No, it's not a Submariner or whatever, but he's not looking for a Gucci watch. If you can find a tougher watch, that keeps as accurate of time, and doesn't need a battery or to be wound regularly let me know, because I'll probably go buy it!

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGtuned
I don’t know anything about watches, but for backpacks Mystery Ranch is the way to go. They cost a bit, but if you can stretch your budget they are with it.

I scraped together pennies for a Mystery Ranch dragon slayer almost a decade ago. It’s about the max size for an airline carryon. Used it traveling all over the US and now use it a few times a week in Australia. Have a few other Mystery packs now, that was just the first ?

Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, London Bridge Trading Inc, EXO Mt Gear, etc are all good to go.

I bought a G Shock Gravity Master off of some kid on the Facebook Marketplace for $40. I'm a maintenance guy and this watch has suffered through welding, hydraulic oil, epoxy and getting beat to shit on a regular basis. I honestly can't believe it's still ticking.

It's not the best looking watch as it's an ugly green color, but the son of a bitch just keeps working. What more can you ask for?

Casio has several models of watch that have a barometer/absolute pressure function for under $100 and are generally bomb proof.

I have a G-shock GDF-100 that is 10 years old and still going strong. Not solar, no radio synchronization, it loses about a minute every couple months. But It cost me $80 IIRC.

If it didn't survive any calamity that might happen to it, then I probably didn't survive either.

Seiko 5 automatic is the correct answer for a watch. No batteries, so never have to worry about it dying on you. Hell of a deal for under $100.

My Seiko 5 died recently. It stopped being reliable, losing hours over the course of a day. Yes, I do understand how an automatic functions, before you ask...

I’ve been using the Titanium Casio Pathfinder for close to 10 years and it’s bullet proof. Never an issue

F064FE5F-7B7D-4B40-B0B9-1D2BC2ED734C.jpeg

Here is the link for it in black

The owner of Mystery Ranch used to run a backpack brand named Dana Design. Look up used DD packs. Tough stuff and good, if you want internal frame.

I can't speak to Casio watches, but for six or seven years I had a Casio phone called the Boulder, I think it was. Flip-phone but strong as hell, overbuilt and damn near bulletproof compared to all the smartphones that were out at the time. Fell three feet onto asphalt, bounced a bit, came to a stop and all it had wrong was some scuffs on the rubberized finish. IIRC it or its successor matched US Army durability standards, as does my current not-Casio smartphone. So I'd put my vote in with Casio since I know they build their shit to last.

8DE15118-180C-4A79-ABA1-25BDF73C21B9.jpeg
Picked up my Suunto Core for $90 used and it has been great. Eberlestock packs are hard to beat but I’ve had some great Oakley packs.

Funny you mention Alice packs, because I wear the watch equivalent. First one lasted fifteen years and I've almost got that many on my second. I really like a tritium dial and most are very expensive. This watch costs about $125.
mil-prf-46374g_type2_class4_marathon_375.jpg

Thanks for info guys. Keep it coming. I'm looking up everything mentioned. I wish they made the gunslinger 2 without the rifle scabbard, unfortunately the hi speed is to small.

Last edited:
Thanks for info guys. Keep it coming. I'm looking up everything mentioned. I wish they mad the gunslinger 2 without the rifle scabbard, unfortunately the hi speed is to small.
Same man. I love my gunslinger. If they made it with and without the scabbard I’d own 2.

Same man. I love my gunslinger. If they made it with and without the scabbard I’d own 2.
Same here. Love my gunslinger 2. Have had it for a number of years. If it ever wears out I'll definitely get the new lighter version.

The sunto or casio pathfinder are now at the top of my list of watches.

Same here. Love my gunslinger 2. Have had it for a number of years. If it ever wears out I'll definitely get the new lighter version.

The sunto or casio pathfinder are now at the top of my list of watches.

$175 for the Pathfinders is a deal man. I paid $300 for mine years ago. It’s an great watch dude.

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward the pathfinder as it seems to be a tried and true watch. The sunto is also really appealing.

As for backpacks I may grab a LBT 3day (slick) assualt pack. I have one already but its multicam and has tons of webbing. If I can wait it out till there memorial day sale they usually sell them for 50% off. My other option is the Mystery ranch 2 day assault pack.

Reactions: simpletoms
I'm leaning toward the pathfinder as it seems to be a tried and true watch. The sunto is also really appealing.

As for backpacks I may grab a LBT 3day (slick) assualt pack. I have one already but its multicam and has tons of webbing. If I can wait it out till there memorial day sale they usually sell them for 50% off. My other option is the Mystery ranch 2 day assault pack.

Have you checked out any of the back packing style of packs? Osprey has some great packs. I have an Osprey 88, and my wife had the Osprey 75. most comfortable pack I’ve owned. They have plenty of smaller everyday / 2 Day packs as well. Here’s a link to their “pack finder”..

You can also download the REI App, and do a search for packs. Use the filter to to narrow down what you’re looking for. They have a ton of packs from Osprey, Northface, Patagonia, Mystery Ranch etc, and some great deals as well, and if you don’t want to give REI your money, just use the app to find some packs you like and then purchase them elsewhere.

Last edited:
There is a lot of nice non-tactical nylon out there, but the advantage of the best "tactical" packs is that they are way over built, 1000D, etc. Of course, way too heavy. Also, thanks to the Berry Amendment, made in the USA.

There is a lot of nice non-tactical nylon out there, but the advantage of the best "tactical" packs is that they are way over built, 1000D, etc. Of course, way too heavy. Also, thanks to the Berry Amendment, made in the USA.

agreed. I used to use an Eberlestock G4 Operator. Well built, and weighed 2-3x as much as any equivelant through hike back packing pack with 1/2 the capacity. Took it on a backpacking trip up to the High Sierras 1 time and about threw it off the mountain the first day. Super heavy and not nearly the capacity-you would think it had, and stupid uncomfortable. Bought an Osprey 88 and never looked back. Light, we’ll built, and had the ability to carry more, and far heavier loads comfortably that my Eberlestock. Haven’t used the Eberlestock since.

Last edited:
I have definitely learned my lesson when it comes to hiking with a backpack. I use a ospray talon 22 for day hikes. It's not big enough for my needs in this case and I find it to be narrow.

Reactions: HogsLife

LBT has a sale on their 3 Day pack in MAS Grey right now

I have had a few Suunto's including a couple of cores. Great watches. But the Casios are the equal and in some ways better than the Suunto. The Suunto's are much less bulky and that's the main benefit. You can see this from the two pics above. Casios are cheaper.

If $ is the driving force, buy the Casio and you'll be really happy. If $ isn't an issue, you want to hang with the cool kids and want more sleekness and less bulk, then it's Suunto. But understand that you will be buying 2032 batteries every year like clockwork... (see what I did there?)
Yes, I have had Casios in the past too.

No, it's not a Submariner or whatever, but he's not looking for a Gucci watch. If you can find a tougher watch, that keeps as accurate of time, and doesn't need a battery or to be wound regularly let me know, because I'll probably go buy it!
Agreed, I was just making a general comment.

I think the difference here lies in how you approach watches. Many want a watch that can tell the most accurate time, but there's something to be said for a watch that can keep time. IMO, only manual and automatic watches keep time.

Hello all,

Just got a new job and need a good watch and backpack. Not trying to break the bank on these two item. Just wondering what people use on a daily basis.

Watch- looking for something that can be banged around without being destroyed. Was looking at g-shocks but not sure if there is something better in the $100 price range.

Backpack- needs to carry 30-40lbs and doesn't need to be tacticool or camo. Just needs to be sturdy and carry the weight well.

Well made watches last a long long time. Don’t be afraid to buy used. I got this one for a really good price and it will probably outlast me.

Attachments

• FC85F80C-D97A-49C3-913E-D46AE6005E3B.jpeg
    FC85F80C-D97A-49C3-913E-D46AE6005E3B.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: AMGtuned
Watch: Casio G-Shock Rangeman -- had it for 3+ years, accurate, tough, auto-syncs with the Ft. Collins, CO Atomic Clock, measures barometric pressure and pressure altitude accurately

Pack: Eberlestock GS-II -- somewhat heavy but useful for carrying my rifle, 2 L. hydration bag, and with accessory straps, my binocs and all the gear I need.

YMMV,

Harry

As far as a nice watch that will hold up with dings and scratches, an automatic, Swiss movement, German engineering, go w/ Damasko, I like the DC66. They hold their value too.

I have an ETA Pilot Automatic I will cut you a deal on Shoot me a PM if you're interested

PM a cell number and will text ya some pics Haven’t broken the code on posting pics on here yet.

I’ve had this Casio ProTrek for 5 years and it’s been a solid investment so far.
It has solar charging so no batteries to replace. It has barometer / altimeter, compass and thermometer functions.
Well worth the money.

9857FBA9-A914-4944-AFFD-D7C9B39C8EA3.jpeg

Cant beat a Casio for digital. I have one of those PAG240 pathfinders for over 10 years. Its bombproof. The strap gave out so I taped it onto one of my enduros. I got the 9400 Rangeman at Christmas. I love it and should be bombproof as well. My only gripe is that I wish they had a sapphire crystal. The mineral will scratch. Mine is already nicked. If you want an analog, the Marathon GSAR/TSAR is also pretty much bombproof. I never had any luck with most bracelets that have friction pins. The Marathon bracelet is screw pins and is indestructible.
20200524_080123.jpg

Apple watch, series 2. Practically free at this point.

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but can you define the role of the pack? Is this for backcountry hiking, bug out/in, match pack, or..???