• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with Wife's Match Rifle?

Toast

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2011
    So Cal
    It's an Easter miracle. I finally convinced my wife to shoot with me. I want to start her slow with a local varmint match from 200-600 yards knocking down steel targets.

She's a prissy woman who won't tolerate getting kicked in the mouth every shot. therefore, I'm going to set her up with a .223 cartridge.

Anyone recommend a good heavy rifle? She'll be sitting at a bench shooting. There will be less than 100 rounds per match.

Don't hesitate to PM me any rifles you have up for sale too. I don't want to spend too much though.

Thanks in advance. Happy shootin.

Well the most important factor will be budget. What can ya spend on it? Also, is she comfortable carrying around and using a heavy gun? If you have an example to let her shoulder up and try to manipulate it that would be ideal so we get a baseline for weight. There are lots of female shooters who hate recoil, but hate heavy guns even more.
    Since its .223 you can probably get away with a slightly lighter rig if she prefers it a little on the lighter side.
    Are you sure you want to rule out .243 or 6mm? Not challenging your choice, Just curious. A girl i shot with loves her .243 Tikka with XLR chassis.

Maybe start her out with a 22LR and shorter ranges at first. Once she learns the basics she might want to graduate to larger calibers and longer ranges.

Aha! As Aaros143 stated, .224 Valk. Thats a great idea. And MPA rifles rock, favorite chassis. They even have a quick swap barrel option. Factory ammo should be plentiful too.

A Savage F/TR would not kick at all and would be flexible for several different shooting roles...as long as carrying it a ways is not in the plans.

Maybe start her out with a 22LR and shorter ranges at first. Once she learns the basics she might want to graduate to larger calibers and longer ranges.

I think Byron's idea has a lot of merit. Make it super fun at first, no recoil, short ranges, build confidence and teach some easy fundamentals. Then, move up to a centerfire cartridge with minimum recoil. He gives good advice.

Reactions: Nathan11B
    As much as a .22lr is not a bad idea, I don't think. 223 is a wrong choice.

I recently took my better half out to get her behind my . 308, and she did decent.. Just needs practice keeping her head down and follow through. I will be picking her up a .223 later as the .308 recoils to much for her. The .223 gives her the chance to shoot the same ranges we shoot.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
    Cant go wrong with a t3x varmint. Just shoot standard 223 cartridges and decide if it is worth the investment into a chassis for it. Mine shoots the 75 bthp over 23.6 gr of 8208 in the .3" CTC range.

Reactions: 260284
    Tikka Varmint 223 is exactly what you want. Accurate, low recoil, reasonable price, 1:8 twist for heavy bullets.

Mine loved 75 grain Hornady BTHP match. It was a joy to shoot out to 600.

Reactions: STROP and 260284
    Get a T1x in 22LR let her learn and practice with it
    Get fundamentals right

Then get a T3x Varmint in .223 (damn good gun for the $$$)

Or skip the .22 if she has a fair amount of firearms experience already/is comfortable shooting AR15s

Get a TBAC Ultra 7 silencer either way you go

Why not a 6BR? That way if she sticks with it, she's already comfortable with her match caliber, and if she doesn't stick with it, YOU now have a 6BR to shoot. There is next to 0 recoil with a heavy 6br. Get her on the waiting list for a PVA John Hancock Rifle in 6BR. Like I said, you get a bad ass rifle if she bails on shooting. She wont fault you for taking her rifle if she realizes she isn't that in to it.

Reactions: Shanerbanner10
    As much as a .22lr is not a bad idea, I don't think. 223 is a wrong choice.

I recently took my better half out to get her behind my . 308, and she did decent.. Just needs practice keeping her head down and follow through. I will be picking her up a .223 later as the .308 recoils to much for her. The .223 gives her the chance to shoot the same ranges we shoot.
    x2 - Thats common for a lot of new shooters if not most IMO - popping their head up instinctively as if they want to watch the bullet downrange, and improper follow-thru. Any chambering that allows the shooter to focus on ironing out these bad habits is a good choice IMO.