• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help

uafgrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2004
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have a buddy who has an interesting quandry with his duty rifle and I am trying to help him figure out the problem. ETA: This is his assigned rifle for the Tac Team where he serves as one of two snipers.

Rifle is a stock 700P .308
Unknown round count, he is the 3rd officer it has been issued to. The previous 2 did not keep log books or round counts. He estimated that round count was likely to be in the 3K range.
He has had the rifle for 2+ years and shoots it every month. Consistent sub MOA accuracy for 5 shot groups.
CBS has always been 3/4" high at 100yds.
He is meticolous about cleaning the rifle after every shooting session, whether it is 5 rounds or 50 rounds. He is VERY anal about this.

He shoot yesterday and today and had very odd outcomes.
Each cycle would start with CBS which was 1" left and 5" high or low. Over the course of 3-4 rounds it would tighten up and would shoot into a group approximately 1"
He repeated this several times and there was no rhyme or reason as to whether it would start high or start low.

All screws are torqued correctly, scope tracks correctly.

Only variable is that the temperature is about 15F

So.....
First I told him thatthe barrel probably is getting towards the end of its life at 3K rounds (est) considering it is a factory barrel.

Is it possible, that with a stock remmy barrel and a worn throat, the cold can constrict the metal enough to cause funky effects and as the barrel and throat warm from fired rounds the gun settles down?

Re: Help

3k rounds is nothing, I've heard that having a bad crown can affect a shot really bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3k rounds is nothing, I've heard that having a bad crown can affect a shot really bad. </div></div>

If it was a crown issue, it would be more than the first 3 rounds following a CBS.
All of his CBS's are on a pristinely clean barrel

With him scrubbing on it so much he may have prematurely worn it out.There is no need to clean a .308 more then every couple of hundred rounds.People do more damage cleaning then shooting.

3,000 rounds sure shouldn't be an issue in a .308, factory barrel or not. I'd like to say it's because it's a beat up old department rifle, but if he's had it for 2 years already and this just started I doubt that's the cause.

It couldn't be him could it? Even the best shooters have bad days from time to time... Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh, I know what the problem is. He has that special arctic remington! Anything above +10 degrees and it won't shoot for shit! (sorry, couldn't resist
wink.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With him scrubbing on it so much he may have prematurely worn it out.There is no need to clean a .308 more then every couple of hundred rounds.People do more damage cleaning then shooting. </div></div>

Couldnt agree more, but the instructor at the sniper course they went to told them differently so now that is the word of god

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what about a bad batch of ammo/powder? </div></div>

All same lot

Some powders are more consistant across temperature ranges than others. I imagin he is shooting factory ammo with a department rifle. Wouldnt go so far to say bad ammo due to it most likly being Tap or FGM (our snipers get it by the case).

Thats a pretty big spread for it to be ammo related I would think. How does the throat look? 3K is only a guess on round count if no logs were kept.

I would keep my moth shut and tell the department they need to call Stacey Blankenship and get a deal on a few of those AIAE's they are trying to get rid of befor the Gen 2's come out LOL.

Or tell them it needs a new barrel and only PAI can do the work, but of course the new barrel wont fit correctly unless the action is trued.

Stop looking on the negative side and think about what good could come from this. After all it would be a liability to have a sniper with an unreliable rifle would it not
smile.gif