• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dave1894

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2007
IRAQ
I will try and keep this short and sweet.

I have been trying to find some information on one of my family members who was in WW2 and the Korean war. My great uncle on dads side was Post Command Sergeant Major of "camp" Carson now called Fort Carson, Colorado. I was also told he MOS was field artiallry and that he fired off the 1st tactical nuke from that... I have researched a little here and there but with absolutely no success at all.

His name was Jack John or John Jack McIrvin. If anyone knows how to research this better I could sure use some pointers.

Thank you for the help!
Lw

Re: HELP

I don't have personal experience, but I know sites like ancestry.com have the capability for military records searches. It pulls up draft notices, awards and discharges. I didn't pay to view anything, I just poked around in the free area. Might be a start.

At a minimum, find out his unit. That is a basis for further online research. Following that there may be a historical organization, reunion organization, information at Ft.Carson, or possibly at Ft. Sill if there is an Artillery museum. Best of luck.

Look for the name Atomic Anny, thats what they called the critter that fired the round. If he was there, it should be easy to find the unit name and get info that way.

Ok, I just did my Search Fu, it looks like all the units were deployed with the M65 280 mm howitzer, were in Europe. There was only one fire with the Atomic Round (Shot Grable). That was done by the Dept of Energy on May 25th 1953. (He very well could of been there, Most DOE guys did not know how to work a howitzer) There are web sites that list units in the ETO. I would go there to see if his name is listed. I would also call the Artillery Museum at Fort Sill.

Lonewolf,
Thanks for your service! There is a Government website for Vets & Families to get info on service records. Go to: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/ Usually requires signature of Veteran or Next of Kin, but there is also a procedure listed to request info if you're not. Another website to check is: http://www.history.army.mil/reference/records.htm this is a Master Index of Army Records. At this website you may be able to request copies of old unit rosters and other information that could assist you. Once you find anything, you should go to the Registry of the American Soldier and enter your Uncle's information. Good Luck!

Thank you all very much for the assitance. I will definately check those websites out SGMSki. If all else fails, when I get to Carson maybe they have something on him there. I will post my results.

Thanks a million!
Lw