• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP!!??

treedoc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Virginia
Question:

I had a 300WSM built and have a question. I shoot 185 Bergers and 168 Barnes and the ogive sits right on top of the brass. I mean within .002" of the top of the brass (2.900"). Groups are inconsistent and not repeatable.

I don't have any options with regards to OAL or COAL and my question is:

What would you recommend??

I was thinking about have the throat cut deeper (longer) to give me more options.

Your thoughts....please.

Re: HELP!!??

I looked back through your posts. You say a lot about the arrows here. But your posts don't really say much about the indian.

Do you have reason (based on personal shooting experience and/or training) to expect better consistency and accuracy than you are getting?

Do you want 5-shot group pics, a resume or maybe a personal financial statement....a simple answer to the question would be fine.

You can assume I'm shooting sub-MOA with my other sticks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you want 5-shot group pics, a resume or maybe a personal financial statement....a simple answer to the question would be fine.

You can assume I'm shooting sub-MOA with my other sticks.</div></div>

Treedoc, can I give you a piece of friendly advice? Don't be a smart ass. Odball-6 answered your question in a legitimate, meaningful way. When you come back with a smart ass retort, not only does it make you look like an ass, but it also reveals why we've had to institute the "Do not attack new members" rule. If "New members" didn't mouth off, they wouldn't get attacked. So why don't you tone it down a notch and just address the question?

Now here's my advice.

You said you had your rifle "built", so we can assume it's custom. Did you ask your gunsmith what reamer he used? You said you don't have any options with OAL or COAL, why not? I would try playing with the seating depths of the bullets before I tore my new barrel off and had the throat lengthened. Also, have you tried other bullets? Sometimes you have to let the gun tell you what it likes to shoot, not visa versa.

Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just wanted an answer to my question and/or maybe a sound recommendation without all the fluff.

Sorry for being a smart ass.

Treedoc, have you found another round that is "known good"? Either of your own make or from-factory? E.g. can you buy a box of FGMM and be comfortable with the accuracy and repeatability you get from a box of that?

Or, maybe some reloading recipe you have used previously?

The idea is to start with a baseline of what you know works, and then find out what is different between what works and what you have. Going out and modifying the chamber and/or throat to the barrel seems like a drastic enough step that you might want to confirm that will "fix" it first.

Looking at your post, my assumption is that you have other rounds that have performed well out of this rifle, but I want to be careful confirming that assumption.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question:..the ogive sits right on top of the brass. I mean within .002" of the top of the brass (2.900"). Groups are inconsistent and not repeatable.</div></div>

I don't understand this, are you having to seat your bullets too deep to keep them out of the lands, or are you trying to load to mag length?

There may be some dissenting opinions but all the advise I've gotten and my experience is that you need to either load into the lands or get out of them by .010 or more. The problem is that every bullet from the manufacturer may not have exactly the same ogive measurement so you may have some seated in and some out of the lands, different pressure curves, different velocities = inconsistent groups.

What is inconsistent? How big are your groups?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have any options with regards to OAL or COAL and my question is: </div></div>

Why can't you change the OAL?

There are a lot of things that will effect the groups, a big one is neck tension, you don't say anything about your loading process.

Then there are any number of other factors including pressure points on the stock, scope mounting etc... A little more detail would help people diagnose your problem.