• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Hemingway

SmartDonkey

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2018
Short story long...... I've been spending an insane amount of time driving and operating equipment lately,- talking to an older guy the other day and he says "That sounds terrible- how can you do that?" Tell him it hasn't been to bad because I found a big collection of books on cds at a yard sell and that I've been listening to all of Hemingway's books. He goes off on how he was a secret communist and a spy against the US (maybe for Russia....by way of Cuba). He didn't have a good thing to say about him--..

He did have some characters in his books that didn't seem to be so hostile to communism... and a real quick search showed that the government was keeping a file on him (but now it seems they are keeping a file on everyone so not sure you can read into that). As I wasn't around for any of this... Any of you know more about him and if he was actually the devils second cousin?

Well, he was on the side of the Soviet funded and armed Communists during the Spanish Civil War, where the good folks decided to get rid of the Communist scum before it was too late. Like most stupid intellectuals he loved the wonderful Communists because he never had to live under their rule.
The victory against the Communists in the Spanish Civil War was an important key in stopping the spread of Communism across Europe.

None-the-less his books are classics for a reason. I doubt listening to them on the road will rot your brain.

Reactions: SBRSarge and Dot3
Hemingway was an odd duck with streaks of brilliance. We were forced to read For Whom the Bell Tolls in high school and people wonder why many of us became alcoholics.

Not sure he was a commie but knew he was anti facist, anti German in WWII.

If he was a hardcore, pro Cuban commie, one would think Castro would have allowed Papa to retain access to his beloved Cuba and it's fishing waters.

George Orwell was also a card carrying communist. Do with that what you will…
Until he lived in Russia and saw that it was totally FUBAR... then he became the world's leading anti-Communist.

As for Hemmingway... a guy who understood that the world was a tough place and that dick sucking was gay!

Sirhr

Reactions: diverdon
Until he lived in Russia and saw that it was totally FUBAR... then he became the world's leading anti-Communist.

As for Hemmingway... a guy who understood that the world was a tough place and that dick sucking was gay!

Sirhr
He was definitely ‘anti-Soviet.’ But, he was a commie through and through…

Dr. Seuss wasn’t a real doctor.

Sorry to post that hard truth.

1659839587829.gif

Short story long...... I've been spending an insane amount of time driving and operating equipment lately,- talking to an older guy the other day and he says "That sounds terrible- how can you do that?" Tell him it hasn't been to bad because I found a big collection of books on cds at a yard sell and that I've been listening to all of Hemingway's books. He goes off on how he was a secret communist and a spy against the US (maybe for Russia....by way of Cuba). He didn't have a good thing to say about him--..

He did have some characters in his books that didn't seem to be so hostile to communism... and a real quick search showed that the government was keeping a file on him (but now it seems they are keeping a file on everyone so not sure you can read into that). As I wasn't around for any of this... Any of you know more about him and if he was actually the devils second cousin?
My Great Uncle knew him in Key West. He said he pretty much didn't like anyone but was sure fun to drink with.

About a year ago there was a documentary put out on PBS I think. It's worth a look.