• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Henderson trimmer and mandrels

ifgator

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2018
Idaho
I’m looking for input on my reloading process as it relates to trimming on the Henderson trimmer and when people use their mandrels.

I’d prefer to full length size, then trim, and then have the last step be setting neck tension with my mandrel. The problem is my 7 SAUM brass kept getting stuck on the pilot. It was a PITA but I feel my neck tension will be more consistent.

The next time I FL sized, then used a mandrel, and then trimmed. Trimming went smoother but do you guys think my neck tension may be less consistent because the mandrel step isn’t last?

One side note I did learn from this dilemma is the mandrel before trimming step is the case length changes which will change how much of the neck is trimmed. I did verify my HS stayed the same after using a mandrel though.

I prefer to use the mandrel as the last step before dropping powder and seating a bullet. Not sure if it's the best way but it makes sure the neck is as round as it can be before seating a bullet.

Interesting that you are seeing a change in case length after the mandrel.

I prefer to use the mandrel as the last step before dropping powder and seating a bullet. Not sure if it's the best way but it makes sure the neck is as round as it can be before seating a bullet.

Interesting that you are seeing a change in case length after the mandrel.
I agree with you on your process. Maybe I could use a small mandrel before trimming and then use my final mandrel after trimming.
I too was surprised on the change of case length and I felt it was significant.

Any other input??? I would like to know how other people are doing this

Could it be that you are sizing down too much with your bushing and causing too much pressure and pushing your neck down a little bit as a result? Sounds like your mandrel is doing a lot of work and I have always tried to get it to be just barely pushing that brass to where I want it. Just throwing out an idea

Reactions: 3rdfocal
I mandrel after FL sizing. I want my necks to be perfect for trimming and chamfering but I use a Giraud. I’m interested also to hear what everyone does.

Last edited:
Reactions: ifgator
FL size, mandrel, trim.

If you cant fit it on the henderson pilot, then its undersize, which inturn would make the chamfers wrong.

I know a guy who trims, FL size, mandrel. Shoots tiny groups. Each to their own.

Reactions: LR1845 and ifgator
I don't use a Henderson, but use Giraud tri-way trimmers. I like to use my expander mandrels last in the process, just prior to filling and seating, but found the chamfers on the brass were a little weird. Now I bump the shoulder, run the expander mandrel, and trim. The chamfers look correct at this point. When I'm ready to fill and seat, I just run the expander mandrel again just prior to filling powder and seating the bullet.

I don't use a Henderson, but use Giraud tri-way trimmers. I like to use my expander mandrels last in the process, just prior to filling and seating, but found the chamfers on the brass were a little weird. Now I bump the shoulder, run the expander mandrel, and trim. The chamfers look correct at this point. When I'm ready to fill and seat, I just run the expander mandrel again just prior to filling powder and seating the bullet.
Exactly what I’ll be doing. I’ve been the sidelines waiting for my new f class rifle So my reloading has halted