• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Henry Accurizing Project Questions

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
I got a Henry H001Y and its been a blast. 2 MOA with CCI SV consistently which got me thinking. What would it take to accurize the octagonal frontier model? I'm not trying to reach super tuned CZ or Anschutz levels here, rather how much better can I make the base gun for trying out ELR and maybe some competition use.

Disclaimer: I fully understand the practicality and logistic issues with trying to tune a lever action over a bolt action, especially a 22lr, but am entertaining the idea because it seems like a fun project that wouldn't really take more than finding someone to make me a custom barrel and a bit of gunsmithing on my part.

Hypothetically speaking, what's really stopping this gun from getting more accurate outside of ammo selection?
  • I can single load just fine like a bolt action
  • The feeding mechanism would need a little work / polishing to get rid of the action shaving a tiny bit of lead off the bullet which is pretty minimal as it stands now
  • Headspace is determined by the rim and bolt face so truing the bolt face shouldn't be a big deal and since this is a lever action headspace should be a bit tighter than a semi auto anyway
  • I could get away with a Lilja chamber at best and Bentz chamber at worst
  • The pot metal receiver can't be helped much, and although the barrel wouldn't be truly free floated, a thick enough one shouldn't be an issue even with the feeding tube and handguard
  • I'd have to figure out an alternative handguard or just make sure I'm not putting a lot of pressure on it as to mess with barrel harmonics or experiment around with the handguard retainer
  • The top cover will always be a consistent issue, but I think as long as I consistently torque everything down it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
With all that being said, If I was able to get a match grade barrel made with the proper pin holes, threading and feeding tube dovetail, what else would really hinder accuracy once I do some work on the bolt face and action a bit?

Edit: Henry responded to me that the barrels are pressed into the receiver then pinned. Waiting on a response if they're able to give me the ft lbs. That actually might make this project easier over trying to create the exact threads.

Edit 2: Henry said they can't give me any details on ft lbs the barrel is pressed into the receiver. Still waiting on a few other barrel brands if they'd be able to make me a one-off barrel. Starting another thread on some accuracy groups I got with my Henry Youth recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m