• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hensoldt 4-16x56 FF LT H59 vs newer glass

shark3-1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2017
Georgia USA
I have an Airbus marked Hensoldt 4-16x56 FF LT with H59 reticle that I bought years and years ago and it’s been a great scope. I’ve been looking at ‘upgrading’ to a newer scope and wanted to ask the group how the glass and mechanical quality of my older Hensoldt stacks up to the newer Tangent Theta, ZCO, Khahles, current PMII, and ATACR.

The reason I’m looking at an upgrade are:
1. Several of those manufacturers have lighter/shorter options that are appealing
2. Possibly upgrading to a different reticle
3. Desire for a slightly less finicky zero procedure for switching barrels
4. Possibly better image quality/glass

Any advice or suggestions are most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_8745.jpeg
    IMG_8745.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I’d rule out imagine quality being any meaningful amount better in the scopes you are referencing, with the atacr and kahles having worse image quality. I would be willing to bet your scope has a better image IQ than the PMII ultra shorts and 3-20x50 full sized scope. If you’re not upgrading for more mag or a different reticle, you’re probably better off staying with the Hensoldt.

Sweet scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCX and TheOE800
I’d rule out imagine quality being any meaningful amount better in the scopes you are referencing, with the atacr and kahles having worst image quality. I would be willing to bet your scope has a better imagine than the PMII ultra shorts, and 3-20x50 full sized scope. If you’re not upgrading for more mag or a different reticle, you’re probably better off staying with the Hensoldt.

Sweet scope.

The NF ATACR has poor image quality? Curious about that statement, lots of folks seem to swear by them, been considering one myself.

Reactions: mettee
The NF ATACR has poor image quality? Curious about that statement, lots of folks seem to swear by them, been considering one myself.
Not at all, I’m just saying it has lessor quality than the listed scopes.

Reactions: simonp
I’d rule out imagine quality being any meaningful amount better in the scopes you are referencing, with the atacr and kahles having worst image quality. I would be willing to bet your scope has a better imagine than the PMII ultra shorts, and 3-20x50 full sized scope. If you’re not upgrading for more mag or a different reticle, you’re probably better off staying with the Hensoldt.

Sweet scope.
Thanks, this is very helpful to know as I was specifically looking at the Ultra Short and ATACR. Do you have any thoughts on how it compares to the ZCO 4-20?

There’s not much info out there comparing these scopes to the latest, I appreciate you for responding.

As stated already, you’re at the pinnacle of glass IQ, been there done that to many times, have every scope you’ve mentioned above and all are exceptional. Where the HSoldt separates is in black and white light, generally it’s better than anything you have listed above on average across a wide sample range, or the ones I’ve had anyway, and it’s been quite a few.

Size is really a wash depending if you keep a 56 or drop down to a 50, you’ll definitely get a better zoom range with todays 6 to 8x zoom scopes. NF, ZC, Schmidt, and Tt all have excellent build quality and better turrets along with more reticle choices.

Schmidt has a fatal flaw for me personally, but it’s as a hunter not necessarily a shooter, at power and under clear sky’s at dusk they have a major glare issue and this isn’t new, so for that kind of coin it’s a no go for me personally. And imo there’re less consistent than that we’re pre 17. Great glass and build but the glare thing has screwed me on more than one occasion.

Another issue to consider with the hensoldt is warranty and sending it back to Germany if any problem arises, I think Alex was importing them at the time of the H/Z models. The newer scopes on your list will be easier to deal with.

So again, if glass is your primary concern you’re chasing your tail, you’re already there, it’s the other features where the new scopes offer an advantage.

Cheers.