• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt on AI 28moa mount

ALMAORFE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Jeep Country
So I took my Hensoldt out of my Seekins rings and mounted it on my AIAW with the AI 34mm 28moa mount. The bottom of the turret housing is touching the base of the mount. Is this a no go? Or do I need to get the mount milled?

Re: Hensoldt on AI 28moa mount

I say it's a no go, but I would just redneck fix it with a file, the paint to match.

A buddy of mine told me the same thing about his. He's just going to mill the mount a touch. That's what I'd do too.

Shit! I was hoping it wouldn't matter.

I may try it anyway and see if it works and tracks right. I cant really see anything wrong with it as long as its not bending the tube which I'd think it would just dent the edge of the turret housing in which case I don't care if the scopes pretty I just care if it works.

Fuck it I'm gonna shoot it tomorrow and see what happens. I hope it would be warrented if I F it up

Waste of time, fix it then shoot it. Dremel and 10 minutes of your time. Beats a bunch of time waiting to find out if they will fix a stupid mistake..

Sell the mutherfucker....This is what you need!

http://www.nearmfg.com/
trg42_right.jpg
new_prod_01.jpg

Any "touching" could easily result in bending the tube when you tighten the ring caps. Absolutely don't do it!

I had already mounted it. Then when Iooked it was touching. I took it off and dremeled it so it clears now.

How would I know if I bent the tube?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your tube is fine... Rock on. </div></div>

Cool Thanks bro
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell the mutherfucker....This is what you need!

http://www.nearmfg.com/
trg42_right.jpg
new_prod_01.jpg

</div></div>

Those look slick I haven't seen those yet.

Jack is right, but the little amount it's touching, and the fact that the scope is built to withstand hell and back, you'll be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jack is right, but the little amount it's touching, and the fact that the scope is built to withstand hell and back, you'll be fine. </div></div>

Cool. If it tracks correctly everything should be good right? I don't know if you can tell by looking through it and moving the turrets but everything is still moving the same. Tomorrow when I go out to zero and box test I guess I'll find out for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is this mount on?....Caliber?....223 (Go Ahead) - 338Lapua? (No'No'No!!!) </div></div>

It's an AI 28moa 34mm mount on an AIAW .308. After dremel it clears .0025 at the closest point. I'm just worried the damage is already done since it was mount with the rings torqued down to spec for about an hour.

You should never get into a rush which will compromise safety and possibly be an expensive mistake. Good on you for not shooting prior to working this issue out.
On the mount, I have seen this occurring now with several scopes which are a "double turn" model and larger gear box. Your scope should perfectly fine just make sure you have all the underside of the box and saddle section of the mount clear and nothing bottoming out/touching here. I have removed up to 0.060" to clear some of the PR's, S&B's and Zeiss/Hensoldt models.
To the comments from "ZOMBIE101" on the mount, I can only respond we have been utilizing these mounts on the .338's since its birth with the AI system. Either the AI Dovetail or Picatinny mount we offer, and have been used on .50BMG's without issue. Best wishes, happy holidays and safe shooting.

Stacey, I think Zombie was referring to going out and shooting it while it was in a bind, not after the OP had clearanced it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stacey, I think Zombie was referring to going out and shooting it while it was in a bind, not after the OP had clearanced it... </div></div>

thumbs_up.gif
...Yes'...& Thank You JRose
I was thinking of this video as I was commenting on the scope/mount issue.

Mr.Blankenship, I'm well aware of the high quality products AI has to offer...Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5pVya7eask"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5pVya7eask" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm gonna go shoot in a few hours now that it clears. Any suggestions on a finish after I have my smith mill it so it's even? Whats the factory finish on these mounts? hard type 3 anodized?

You didn't ruffle feather, I assure you. However, with the language and description of such, that was a little off color say. No harm no foul!
As for the finish, aluminum anodized yes, harder to match some times, so most will simply paint the section machined to cover and match. Your decision and enjoy.

So I went out to Zero and box test and everything worked perfect. Tracked perfect, through the entire elevation range and to 4 mils left and right windage as my target wasn't wide enough to check further left and right. Everything returned to Zero perfectly. The problem I came home with is I now want/need an AIAWM and AIAWSM both with Hensoldts on them.

Great news and only expected with those optics of course. To the second want/need, I understand and we have a support group for our customers. This is truly one of the best "customer issues" we have and I can 100% understand, since I had the same issue till I just feed the need. Once you start with these rifles you will want another and we are here to help. If you have any questions or need assistance lmk, I may know where one or two are at to better assist you. Enjoy and happy holidays.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great news and only expected with those optics of course. To the second want/need, I understand and we have a support group for our customers. This is truly one of the best "customer issues" we have and I can 100% understand, since I had the same issue till I just feed the need. Once you start with these rifles you will want another and we are here to help. If you have any questions or need assistance lmk, I may know where one or two are at to better assist you. Enjoy and happy holidays. </div></div>

Good to know there is a support group! My addiction is of the worst kind. AI rifles, expensive german optics and and insatiable ammo appetite. I work to shoot.