• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt Tactical ZF 6-24x72

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
I don't see this scope mentioned much on the 'hide and I'm curious why.

Is the low end of the magnification too high? Does Hensoldt not offer good reticles? What am I missing? Is it just too heavy and large for practical use inside a 1,000 yards? I see lots of love for S&B but, with this larger glass I would expect a better image overall.

TIA,
Sid

Re: Hensoldt Tactical ZF 6-24x72

If I remember correctly:
Only comes in MilDot
Depending on which one comes in .05 mil clicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly:
</div></div>

I read online that the 30mm tube in 56mm model is 0.05 mil version. The 34mm tube 72mm model is .10 mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is also SFP only. I have the Victory version of the 72mm. </div></div>

How does your scope compare to other scopes? Does the larger objective make a tangible difference over similar quality scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid Post</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly:
</div></div>

I read online that the 30mm tube in 56mm model is 0.05 mil version. The 34mm tube 72mm model is .10 mil. </div></div>

Pretty sure the .05mil is only on the 72mm 30mm tube henny. I think you have to step up to the SAM 72mm version to get 34mmand .1 mil clicks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid Post</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see lots of love for S&B but, with this larger glass I would expect a better image overall.</div></div>
The reverse is true, as anyone involved in photography knows. With camera lenses,you have an adjustable aperture (=effective objective size), and you generally have to stop down (close the aperture somewhat) in order to get best image quality.
Bigger objective diameter while maintaining the same focal length will dramatically increase optical aberrations, and getting rid of those aberrations to some extent requires a very sophisticated (read: heavy and expensive) optical system.

I've been accused of "unfairness" for doing a photo comparison of a 72mm optic vs. a 56mm optic by an individual who didn't like the results because that comparison supposedly was "ridiculous" to start with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid Post</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is also SFP only. I have the Victory version of the 72mm. </div></div>

How does your scope compare to other scopes? Does the larger objective make a tangible difference over similar quality scopes?</div></div>

The 72mm Zeiss totally kicks ass from an image perspective. It is the brightest, clearest riflescope, period. I call it my APO spotter on a stick.

I've compared it to my high end telescopes and only my Pentax 100mm spotter and my Televue 76 APO refractor can beat it.

Also, the 72mm in both the Victory and Hendsoldt flavors are 34mm. The Victory has the .05 mil knobs while the Hendsoldt has the .1 mil knobs (along with more reticle travel).

David,

This information regarding F stop is misleading at best...

Dawes Limit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawes'_limit

The theoretically maximum resolving capacity of an optical system is determined in direct proportion to the size of the objective lens. In other words, bigger is better.

This is why you don't see many 56mm celestial telescopes...
wink.gif

All things being equal, a scope with a larger objective lens will have greater resolution.

All this aside, the major advantage with the 72mm, is the ability to utilize higher magnification in low light while maintaining an acceptable exit pupul.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Nathan Hunt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The theoretically maximum resolving capacity of an optical system is determined in direct proportion to the size of the objective lens. In other words, bigger is better.</div></div>
Yes, <span style="font-style: italic">theoretically</span>. Theoretically, all bullets will go through the same hole in constant conditions, but we all know that practically they don't. Citing a theorey is of little use if you don't know how that theory translates into practice and what other factors have an influence on the subject at hand.

There are very, very few camera lenses that are diffraction limited at their highest aperture setting, because the larger the aperture (higer f-number), the greater the influence of aberrations on resolution.

If you actually did the math that you linked to, you would get a theoretical resolution of ~1.6 arc seconds for a 72mm objective, which is much better than the resolution specified in the spec sheet for your scopes.

I have one on my 338LM. Its a beast of a scope. You will probably not find a better rifle scope for lowlight conditions. I have been out shooting with a group and they all had to stop shooting at about 8pm this summer. I shot well for another hour because of the amount of light I was able to soak up.

I thought Hensoldt was coming out with a new, FFP version of the 6-24x that addressed some of the concerns with the current design?

PS Sorry, I think it was a new 6-24x56mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Hensoldt was coming out with a new, FFP version of the 6-24x that addressed some of the concerns with the current design? </div></div>

Have fun waiting for it.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Hensoldt was coming out with a new, FFP version of the 6-24x </div></div>

That would be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid Post</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly:
</div></div>

I read online that the 30mm tube in 56mm model is 0.05 mil version. The 34mm tube 72mm model is .10 mil. </div></div>

Pretty sure the .05mil is only on the 72mm 30mm tube henny. I think you have to step up to the SAM 72mm version to get 34mmand .1 mil clicks.</div></div>

Nope. The 6-24x56 has a 30mm tube and 0.05 mil increments. The 72 has a 34mm tube and 0.1 mil clicks.