• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56 w/ NH1 reticle

deadly0311

Tacticool Ninja
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Due to overwhelming requests, we at HDC have decided to do another run of the ZF 4-16x56 FF scopes with the NH-1 Reticle.

Contact your favorite Hensoldt Dealer and preorder your scope today!

Hensoldt Dealers

Thanks,
Austin Cook

Re: Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56 w/ NH1 reticle

SWEET!!!!!
laugh.gif

Sweet reticle! I wish I were in the market for one!

any chance of CCW knobs being a standard offering?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, CCW knobs are not in the future at the moment. </div></div>

Deadly, How was the transition for you from CCW to CW? I've always ran CW on my S&B's and now my Hensoldt....is it that hard? Just asking...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prbulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to upgrade to the NH1 reticle? </div></div>

No we do not offer retrofitting of current reticles.

PGS, well i may be the only one but i actually look at my knobs when I adjust so the CCW to CW transition wasnt a huge deal for me
grin.gif
plus in everyday life you read from left to right, makes sense that the numbers only go that way on a elevation knob
crazy.gif

So under a high stress situation, you feel confident that you can dial to your certain dope????? The argument that CW vs CCW is a huge deal is moot.

Id be curious to see documentation of how a CW scope opens the door to trouble? How do you base a training task on the way that an elevation turret turns?

RJ so you are telling me that if I were to blindfold you and say turn the knob to 13.3 mils you would be able to do it since you have been trained to do that just because its a CCW knob?

You guys are killing me with your CCW knob hang ups...

Reminds me of Zoolander when he locked up b/c he wasn't an "ambi-turner" and couldn't turn left....

ROFL

Brother man I know all to well about having to justify a shot before some serious legal types.

But again, what difference does having CCW or CW knobs make, are you going to zero your gun/scope and then not shoot it again until a call out? Do you ever dial your dope without looking at the knob?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you ever dial your dope without looking at the knob? </div></div>

Key.

Alright, we will agree to disagree on that point....back to the thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are killing me with your CCW knob hang ups...

Reminds me of Zoolander when he locked up b/c he wasn't an "ambi-turner" and couldn't turn left....

ROFL </div></div>

Ha, funny, you're the one that watched that movie??
whistle.gif

Yea, I did too
crazy.gif
another hour and a half I'll never get back!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

JRose - yes, we train in the dark. </div></div>

I'm not intending this as condescending, just curious as I am not an LEO shooter....

That being said, two things come to mind.

1: If making a shot at night, would you really allow your shooter to make a life and death shot in such darkness that he couldn't even make out the marks on his turrets, and go strictly by click counting?

2: If you use the proper mount/rail, you won't be able to go the wrong way but a few clicks before you bottom out...

Just thinking from a legal standpoint...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are killing me with your CCW knob hang ups...

ROFL </div></div>

whistle.gif

Yea, I did too
crazy.gif
another hour and a half I'll never get back! </div></div>

That movie is fuggin hilarious....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to try one of these. The no CCW option is for some of us a real issue. All of my optics are CCW and all of the attendant training/qualification/certification etc. is based on CCW optics. Making a move to a CW optic opens the door for trouble. In a stress situation you will generally do what you have been trained. That means for me not having/needing/being able to look at a turret and see what way to turn the damn thing. I've got a great picture of sitting on the witness stand saying - "well gee counselor I really didn't mean to shoot granny. I was setup on the bad guy. But I had just changed to a different type of optic and it worked opposite of what I was use to, you know with the stress and all that - shit happens." Yea, a civil jury will surely buy that - right! As said, I would like to try this optic. Until they give a CCW option, I'll stick to S&B. Most other real world tactical optics are CCW: Nightforce, USO, etc.. </div></div>

In a way it reminds me of when some city planning official "MORON" in Flagstaff decided to change all the one way streets in our downtown area to the exact opposite of what they had been for 50 some odd years.
mad.gif
I'm still aggravated,LOL.It's been 10 or so years since that happened and if I'm on auto pilot,if you catch my meaning,I still find myself wanting to go the way the streets used to be.

I vote CCW for Hensoldt.No disrespect meant to Deadly or Hensoldt.I'm just trying to make a point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Hensoldt had a CCW available I would have bought one. Just saying.</div></div>

We have done these in the past. SWFA still has some available.

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-4-16x56-Tactical-Hensoldt-Telescopic-34mm-Sight-P47261.aspx

This is one of the things I hear a lot about, but when we do a run they are not particulaly hot sellers.

This makes me think it may not be the issue some make it out to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Hensoldt had a CCW available I would have bought one. Just saying.</div></div>

We have done these in the past. SWFA still has some available.

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-4-16x56-Tactical-Hensoldt-Telescopic-34mm-Sight-P47261.aspx

This is one of the things I hear a lot about, but when we do a run they are not particulaly hot sellers.

This makes me think it may not be the issue some make it out to be. </div></div>

Nathan,

It might be that the right people who would be interested just aren't hearing about it? Perhaps you could do some 'direct marketing' to the various agencies/departments? (I'm making the probably erroneous assumption that you haven't done that already).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are killing me with your CCW knob hang ups...

Reminds me of Zoolander </div></div>
whistle.gif

Yea, I did too
crazy.gif
another hour and a half I'll never get back! </div></div>

That movie is fuggin hilarious.... </div></div>

Scary that the peer pressure to be "tough guys" is so bad here you can't mention a non-manly comedy. I guess I should just turn in my man card.
Give me a minute to see where my wife put it....

Back on track-the CW knobs are an issue if you want consistency in equipment and already have multiple other optics formatted CCW. Its erroneous to claim otherwise. It is a difference that one can overcome with training, if one wishes to do so.

Personally I am considering a trade that'd put one of these scopes on my rifle, but I am not sure if I want to "go backwards" (both in turrets direction, and other features) just to see how much of a difference there is between Hennie and what I currently run. If the scope I were thinking about had the NH-1 not a mildot I would be much more tempted.

I agree with Sobr, if all your equipment is set up one way and that's what you're used to and train with, then consistency is a key factor. When the shit hits the mistral, you want as much burned into the neural pathways as possible.

Great scopes though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Personally I am considering a trade that'd put one of these scopes on my rifle, but I am not sure if I want to "go backwards" (both in turrets direction, and other features) just to see how much of a difference there is between Hennie and what I currently run. </div></div>

Trust me. You won't feel you went backwards at all. I echoed your same concerns to Nate a couple years ago, but after spending a lot of time behind them, the resolution and eyepiece, as well as the accurate tracking, make you not even care which way the knobs turn or that it's a MD reticle.

Features do not equate to quality or have much influence on price. There are many cases in point.

The Hensoldt line of scopes are everything you need and nothing you don't.

The NH1 was designed to address some customers need for a 1/2 mil hash mark reticle.

We have done CCW knobs in the past for those that want them.

Good discussion.....Personally having only owned CW knobs and shooting righthanded, with my right hand on the pistol grip and using my left hand to turn the elevation turret up allows me to see the exposed numbers better as I adjust, without raising my hand and wrist above the the turret to see the numbers as they approach arrow. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me it was designed that way for that intention? German engineering...??

PGS, Yes it is a result of design. CW knobs read left to right the way they should.

CCW knobs are the result of domestic machinists always cutting RH threads.

I hear you Nate. I should have specified magnification range as one of the features I referred to, but I am also aware that sometimes a better resolved picture makes up for the difference.

"everything you need and nothing you don't" is a great marketing line, except to folks that don't like (for whatever reason-real or imagined) to be told what they need and don't need.

JRose's opinion is one that I value highly. Even though we haven't met directly, we have expressed over time very similar tastes in optics, for very similar reasons. If the scope I was talking about trading away was replacable, and the scope I was thinking of trading into had an NH1 it wouldn't be such a leap of faith........

BTW-do sunshades for the Hennies really cost what I've seen them retail for online?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I guess I should just turn in my man card.
Give me a minute to see where my wife put it....
</div></div>

Hey that's not funny....
only cause I resemble that remark...
wink.gif

My eyes suck... (too many years of welding)
but the difference in "forgiveness" of eye placement and cheek weld is readily apparent in all shooting positions to me...
and the way that others have described how image "jumps out at you" is accurate and hard to understand if you haven't used one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to try one of these. The no CCW option is for some of us a real issue. All of my optics are CCW and all of the attendant training/qualification/certification etc. is based on CCW optics. Making a move to a CW optic opens the door for trouble. In a stress situation you will generally do what you have been trained. That means for me not having/needing/being able to look at a turret and see what way to turn the damn thing. I've got a great picture of sitting on the witness stand saying - "well gee counselor I really didn't mean to shoot granny. I was setup on the bad guy. But I had just changed to a different type of optic and it worked opposite of what I was use to, you know with the stress and all that - shit happens." Yea, a civil jury will surely buy that - right! As said, I would like to try this optic. Until they give a CCW option, I'll stick to S&B. Most other real world tactical optics are CCW: Nightforce, USO, etc.. </div></div>

First of if you did a little research you would have found Hensoldts did make CCW scopes. And mainstream S%B scopes are not CCW...this a a special option on that optic..Most "real world"european sniper optics are not CCW. original US M24 optics are not CCW..
More importantly IMHO if peoples lives rely on you behind a precision rifle and your hangup is whether your scope is CW or CCW then maybe someone else should be behind that rifle."seriously"
Like anything from reticles, knobs, stocks, calibers,ect ect..its a non issue with time behind a stick and training. There is no substitute. Picking up and getting behind a unfamiliar system and making a judgement is asisnine..So many people look at a Hensoldt SSG line of scopes and think how weird, when with training and time behind the scope it perhaps the most advanced sniper day optic ever produced and adopted by so many special forces around the world.
Personally the direction of the windage knob should screw people up more than something non important as CW/CCW elevation. And thats ususally only for guys who shot a lot of service rifle.
Now the issue with zero stops is another issue that will be addressed and Hensoldt does believe in them since it is incorporated on their SSGP line of scopes.

This reticle may just be enough for me to make the jump...

I personally am used to CCW knobs and think that it would be great to have a CCW Hensoldt, b/c it would slip easily into my comfort zone. That being said, it's not a common feature, and I personally am not going to let the way the knobs turn keep me from trying a great scope.

I'm not a professional, I dont claim to be. I am just a recreational/comp shooter. I can't tell you what's best for you, all I can say is that I see a whole lot of discussion over CCW knobs and how people can't adapt. Just makes me wonder how many can truly not adapt, and how many people are just e-shopping an issue.

I've yet to have a single issue transitioning between a CCW USO and a CW Henny... I will admit I thought there would bs an issue before I actually used it though. In real world though, this just wasn't the case.

HuDisCo is the distributor.

JRose is not the one making the statement that you are talking about, just to clarify.

And really, RJH, most professionals are adaptable and /or use what is issued them.

Its more of a personal preference, and the manufacturer has made CCW turrets and probably will again sometime.

Where on God's green earth did any vendor bash another product on this thread? I thought we were having a dynamic conversation about the subject of reticles and knobs.

Guess you can't disagree without "slamming" now.

WOW.
I apologize if anyone has misconstrued any of my questions/remarks as derogatory to Hensoldt or HuDisCo.
I was just gathering intel for consideration regarding a possible personal transaction.

I think I have all the info I need, so mum's the word.

RJ Hunter, you speak as if you are an LEO Sniper...or even a trainer of LEO Snipers.

What exactly is your experience behind a rifle as an LEO?

Wow..... this sure did get off topic fast.
I think this can go to PM so we can keep it on track.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jasonk

If you are a LEO contact me through your agency, either agency web address or Department letterhead, and I will be more than happy to discuss my background. </div></div>

Nice way to duck a direct question.

CCW v CW / training / stress - the answer is eloquently stated by Brian Enos - "function in the moment, not ahead of it, not behind it - but in the moment itself"

For those that it counts for - its a training issue. If that were such a big deal, folks that really did the job would still be using '03s and externally adjustable optics.

Good luck

He doesn't have to answer the question, that's his right, it is "the internet". Lots of information to be found on it too.

As for the letterhead, I've got some, not sure my agency is the one you're looking for though
smile.gif

Only b/c I can not stop laughing about it:

Yes certain things can present a problem when they are changed and one has ingrained something else into their gord. Got it. What that really means? It means one isn't ready for prime time with the change.

Secondly - and lets all take a big deep breath and THINK for a second when we talk about CCW v CW - drawing a pistol is an automatic 'response' that requires no thought. The holster safeties are disabled, the gun is mounted, the safety is snicked, the weapon goes to the high 2 and so on and so forth. This is the antithesis of determining the range, calculating the dope and dialing.

In the moment. Not ahead of it. Not behind it.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper2ndrep

I spend a good deal of my time training LEO's on how to survive not only a deadly force encounter - but also the result of a deadly force criminal/civil trial with a jury that could care less about CW or CCW. With all due respect - you have no idea want this is like. I have been an expert witness many, many times in both civil and criminal trials. I've had to testify as an expert on a number of different subjects regard policing and police training. I teach, among many other things, a senior level University class on Forensic Ballistics, and besides my LEO work I run a large University Criminal Justice program with both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Oh yea, we also have a Police Academy. I have a proven career. When I talk to an agency they listen. I have a Ph.D. behind my name. So, you tell me - you really think I don't know what's going on.

I can remember when here on the hide vendors did not openly start threads to flog a product. Now we seem to have shills playing backup as well.

Wait can we get a video of the FedEx truck doing the delivery - please. </div></div>

YAWN......
Why dont you actually spend some time behind the scope before running your mouth smart guy..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BTW-do sunshades for the Hennies really cost what I've seen them retail for online?

</div></div>

Good question! The price for these are very high. I've never handled one so I'd like to know what goes into them that makes them so pricey.

The pricey ones are the clampable version. There is a lot of machine time that goes into these.

Prices for the other ones seem to be comparable.

You probably have to spin them in the wrong direction to attach them, damn it. If that's the case, I just don't think I can use them. I'll never be able to affix it to the scope in time.

They've lost a customer here.
frown.gif