• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Here’s an oddball: Charter 2000 Field King. Anyone know the barrel thread?

Iamero

Barksa #1 Fanboy & Professional Paper Puncher
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Michigan
    Picked up this action for $60 off a buddy and decided, what the hell, let’s build my whitetail gun on it. A little history on it:
    - built for only about 2 years it looks like
    - Mossberg bought it and the ATR is designed off it
    - howa/weatherby vanguard action footprint and trigger
    - ER Shaw factory barrel

My smith did some measuring on it tonight and whatever it is it is goofy. Most things I could find online implied it was a howa metric thread pitch but he said it doesn’t measure close to that. I have a call into ER Shaw barrels but figured I would check here to see if some magically unicorn realm someone has built or barreled one of these.

Picked up this action for $60 off a buddy and decided, what the hell, let’s build my whitetail gun on it. A little history on it:
    - built for only about 2 years it looks like
    - Mossberg bought it and the ATR is designed off it
    - howa/weatherby vanguard action footprint and trigger

My smith did some measuring on it tonight and whatever it is it is goofy. Most things I could find online implied it was a howa metric thread pitch but he said it doesn’t measure close to that. I have a call into ER Shaw barrels but figured I would check here to see if some magically unicorn realm someone has built or barreled one of these.

Looking at the pics I've found it seems to me that it is a rebranded Howa 1500 sold by Charter Arms. Same as what Smith & Wesson did with the Model 1500 rifle and what Weatherby does with the Vanguard today.

Just to be clear, Weatherby has no hand in the Howa 1500's design other than asking for some cosmetic differences on the actions they buy from Howa.

In the lower left corner of this pic you can see one of the three characteristic Howa 1500 pressure relief holes on the underside of the bolt. They direct gasses from a case rupture down into the magazine. Also the anti-bind slot in one of the lugs. The rest of the bolt head looks identical to my Howas.
    1611326685182.png

The bolt handle is identical to the one on my Howas as well. You can see the forging die parting line running from the scope relief down into the knob. Don't know why Howa didn't clean it up...….
    1611326869907.png

The standard Howa barrel shank thread is M16x1.5, and that is what any Howa branded rifle will have. However, for a contract run I'm sure Howa could have threaded their actions any way specified by the customer, as it's stupid easy to do on a CNC lathe.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Iamero