• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Here is a newbie question CCW or CW?

MikeD987

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2013
Waco, Texas
For optics what is the Norm for Americans? CCW? I think that's what I was told by someone at eurooptics and that european shooters us CW. Or is this just really shooters preference?:confused:

For optics what is the Norm for Americans? CCW? I think that's what I was told by someone at eurooptics and that european shooters us CW. Or is this just really shooters preference?:confused:

You know, it is completely preference. I chose CCW because I likened it to a screw. When I want the bullet strike to go up, I "unscrew" the turret, which in essence "raises" the screw. And vise versa.

You know, it is completely preference. I chose CCW because I likened it to a screw. When I want the bullet strike to go up, I "unscrew" the turret, which in essence "raises" the screw. And vise versa.

Although if you think about it, you are moving the scope line of sight DOWN when you move the POI up. :cool:

Personal preference but as you posted it is more prevalent in certain areas. I have owned and used both and it's a non issue for me. I turn the knob the way the numbers get bigger to go up and smaller to go down. Not rocket science.

Australians use different turret caps than the rest of us, for the same reason their toilets flush backwards. ; )

Seriously though, it's a preference thing, you'll figure it out either way.

The main thing for me is not to mix the two. Therefore all my scopes are CCW. That way I probably won't make that particular dialing mistake when under stress.

BTW, I am surprised that no one has yet advocated CCW of a CW, as mine are all open carry.