• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Here is the scope I decided on for my AR15

MMAJunkie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Like many of you on here I spent a lot of time searching for my ideal scope. Though I have shot for years I only recently bought my first AR15. Actually I built a Squad designated marksman type rifle. I used a Nokesky Lower with a match adjustable trigger, ambi safety and mag release with a full length stock. The upper is a Rock River with a flat top and a White Oak 20" heavy fluted, stainless barrel and a Viking alum hand guard and a Young Machine match bolt carrier group in hard chrome.

So for the optics I wanted something a bit longer range than a red dot or EO Techso I decided I wanted something around 10-14X max. I also wanted at least a 44mm objective. Other than that I was pretty open. So I went to several stores, bass pro shops as well as local gun stores to see what I could. I have several Leupolds and they have been good so I looked at them, Burris XTR, Bushnell 6500s, Swaroski (Spelling?) as well as IOR NightForce and Zeiss. The online dealers I talked to all liked IOR but I could not find them locally to see so it was hard to judge the added value and cost.

I could easily compare Leupolds to Bushnell 6500s, Burris XTR tacticals and Zeiss and even Nightforce in the local stores. Everytime I did side by side glass only comparisons I really liked the Bushnell 6500 in 2.5x16x50 as well as the Burris XTR 3-12-50mm. I did all my testing at 10X on all scopes in the stores.

I talked to several online dealers and ended up really liking Scott at Libertyoptics. He was always willing to listen and give me help and that meant a lot compared to many of the "online dealers" I felt more like I was talking to my buddy at the locak gun store.

My list of features was quickly narrowed to include tactical knobs, some sort of mil dot or other range finding second plane reticle, illuminated was prefered and of course good glass, side focus,warranty etc. I was trying to stay under $1000 but if I had too I was willing to go up to $1200 to squeeze in the IOR lineup.

With all those in mind my list was quickly narrowed to the IOR 4-14-50mm on the 30mm tube. The Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x 50 or the 44 tactical version that had target turrets also on the 30mm tube.

Lastly while at the local store I really fell in love with the Burris 3-12-50mm XTR. The only one I could see locally was the NON illuminated version which has a wire reticle not etched like the illuminated one, but the glass was really clear on it.

Me and the counter salesperson did side by sides with similar sized Zeiss, NightForce Leupolds and even Swarowski. And in every case except the Swarowski the Burris XTR was the winner or at least a TIE.
We were both shocked at how clear crisp and bright the XTR was. Of course it was a 50mm objective and the Zeiss for example was only a 44mm. But several of the Leupolds were 50mm.

Again I did not have access to the IOR 4-14-50 with the illuminated mp8 dot reticle which I really wanted to try. So after talking to Scott several times I finally pulled the trigger on the Burris. Of course it saved me some significant cash compared to the IOR to the tune of $300 or so difference. I also bought the Burris 6 screw rings made for the XTR.

So now I am waiting and will post my update once it arrives next week.

Thanks so much to Scott and this forum for giving me a place to lurk while I decided what I wanted to buy. I just hope I made the right call and will not regret not getting the IOR.